Man has lucky escape from chip pan fire

The Bolton News: Man escapes chip pan fire Man escapes chip pan fire

A 38-YEAR-OLD man had a lucky escape after falling asleep while cooking.

Firefighters from Bolton Central spent nearly an hour tackling a chip pan fire at 9.40pm on Friday. It happened in the kitchen of a terrace home in Hughes Street, Halliwell.

The occupant of the home had fallen asleep after drinking and was alerted to the fire by his smoke alarm. He was unable to find his keys and could not get out of the front door. He also attempted to tackle the fire by taking the pan outside.

Ian Read, watch manager at Bolton Central Fire Station, said: “The man was very lucky. He had severe smoke inhalation, he was coughing and spluttering. It would have been very different if it was five or 10 minutes later. These incidents happen at this time of year when people are having a drink and celebrating Christmas. The man had been working night shifts. It was his night off and he had a few drinks and put the chip pan on and fell asleep.”

He urged people not to tackle fires, to always get takeaways when drinking rather than attempting to cook. And he told people to ensure they have an escape plan in the event of an emergency. He was taken to hospital for checks.

Comments (5)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:42pm Sat 21 Dec 13

oftbewildered2 says...

should also stress never to attempt to take chip pan outside - wet teatowel, or any type of cloth to be thrown over it. Glad it was not worse.
should also stress never to attempt to take chip pan outside - wet teatowel, or any type of cloth to be thrown over it. Glad it was not worse. oftbewildered2

10:43pm Sat 21 Dec 13

By George says...

How did he do this , the report says he could not find his keys to get out?
How did he do this , the report says he could not find his keys to get out? By George

12:12am Sun 22 Dec 13

wsw69 says...

This type of emergency call-out should be chargeable as it is down 100% sheer stupidity.
This type of emergency call-out should be chargeable as it is down 100% sheer stupidity. wsw69

10:00pm Sun 22 Dec 13

Count de Monet says...

wsw69 wrote:
This type of emergency call-out should be chargeable as it is down 100% sheer stupidity.
This gentleman made a stupid mistake & has seen his kitchen go up in flames. It's a good job he had a working smoke alarm or the consequences could have been far more serious. He has contributed to the cost of the fire service through his council tax, so fortunately like all other householders, he doesn't have any further charges to pay.
[quote][p][bold]wsw69[/bold] wrote: This type of emergency call-out should be chargeable as it is down 100% sheer stupidity.[/p][/quote]This gentleman made a stupid mistake & has seen his kitchen go up in flames. It's a good job he had a working smoke alarm or the consequences could have been far more serious. He has contributed to the cost of the fire service through his council tax, so fortunately like all other householders, he doesn't have any further charges to pay. Count de Monet

8:20pm Mon 23 Dec 13

Rupert T Bear says...

.... so for clarity, were a dog or a lizard in any way connected to this incident?
.... so for clarity, were a dog or a lizard in any way connected to this incident? Rupert T Bear

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree