POLICE are investigating the death of man in Deane.
It is believed the man was discovered lying on the pavement in Mount St Joseph’s Road at about 1pm.
Two women were seen trying to resuscitate the man until ambulance crews arrived. He was then taken to hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
Police say the man’s death is not being treated as suspicious but officers are still carrying out door-to-door inquiries.
It is believed he suffered serious head injuries.
The road — between Wigan Road and Kylemore Avenue — was shut both ways to traffic and was cordoned off by police while forensic officers erected a tent at the scene.
The man’s identity had not been released and next-of-kin have not been informed.
A Kylemore Avenue resident, who did not wish to be named, said: “All I saw was two women trying to resuscitate the man as he lay in the street. Then the paramedics arrived and he was taken away.
"It was not a nice thing to see.”
Mike Holding, aged 64, of St Ethelbert’s Avenue, added: “The first thing we saw was the police tape everywhere.
"Most people were out at the time so nobody seems to know what happened. The police told us that the man had injuries and sadly died in hospital.
- Little Lever will be Bolton's first 20mph residential area — with rest of Bolton to follow
- Bolton's 4 most wanted - January 28, 2015
- Bolton primary school caretaker contacted notorious paedophile in attempt to arrange £100-an-hour sex with 12-year-old girl
- UPDATED: Man arrested after gunshots fired in street for fourth time in seven months
- 'Recreate Dad's Army to combat terrorism', says Bolton military veteran
"It’s normally very quiet around here. I’m very surprised by it all.”
A police spokesman said: “We are not treating the man’s death as suspicious but our inquiries into this incident are ongoing.”