POLICE tracing the final steps of a man who died while walking on the M61 motorway hope a mystery woman will hold the key to the investigation.
Police do not know how he came to be walking on the motorway.
Mr Wood, from Blackburn, had been at a Tinie Tempah concert at the O2 Apollo in Manchester earlier that night.
He was seen talking to a woman outside the venue in the smoking area at about 10.15pm — one hour before the crash.
Sgt Lee Westhead, from the police's serious collision investigation unit said: “I would ask the woman to make contact as she may have information that will help us establish Gary’s movements after leaving the concert.
“I must stress that the woman is not in any trouble, we would just like to speak to her.
“We would also like to speak to anyone else who saw or spoke to Gary that night.”
Mr Wood’s family, who paid tribute after his death, described him as being a “loving son, brother, uncle and nephew”.
He loved the outdoors including mountain biking, climbing and going to the gym.
- Calls for tougher penalties for fly-tippers as one of worst cases in Bolton is revealed
- Hospital bosses: Jimmy Savile sex abuse scandal will not happen here
- Drunk shouted abuse outside the home of police officers
- Crime commissioner Tony Lloyd announced as interim mayor for Greater Manchester
- Dog show set to draw crowds
Anyone with information can call police on 0161 8564741.