Bolton MP challenges Prime Minister David Cameron over the minimum wage

The Bolton News: Bolton MP challenges Prime Minister David Cameron over the minimum wage Bolton MP challenges Prime Minister David Cameron over the minimum wage

BOLTON south east MP Yasmin Qureshi has challenged the Prime Minister over why he has not set out plans to increase the minimum wage before the general election.

Speaking in Parliament, Ms Qureshi said: “The Prime Minister is aware that there is an enormous gap between the rich and the poor.

“I am not making a party political point, but in my constituency many people are on the minimum wage and it is not enough to make ends meet.”

PM David Cameron said he would like to see a £7 minimum wage, but said it was more important to cut taxes for the lowest earners.

He added: “The income tax bill of someone working 40 hours a week on the minimum wage is down by two-thirds — that is what has happened under this government.”

Comments (4)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:22am Wed 11 Jun 14

Jim271 says...

When is she going to comment on the Sudanese Government who are planning to execute a woman for the crime of being Christian?
When is she going to comment on the Sudanese Government who are planning to execute a woman for the crime of being Christian? Jim271
  • Score: 4

10:01am Wed 11 Jun 14

655321 says...

Jim271 wrote:
When is she going to comment on the Sudanese Government who are planning to execute a woman for the crime of being Christian?
She won't, as she believes in the same invisible sky fairies as them and therefore condones it.
[quote][p][bold]Jim271[/bold] wrote: When is she going to comment on the Sudanese Government who are planning to execute a woman for the crime of being Christian?[/p][/quote]She won't, as she believes in the same invisible sky fairies as them and therefore condones it. 655321
  • Score: -2

3:36pm Wed 11 Jun 14

questionairre says...

Well, if the people of South Bolton do not like her thoughts and policies, they should have gone out and voted for another candidate.
If I remember correctly, the voter turnout at the last general election was below 30%, so the remaining 70% should not complain when they get what they deserve.
In fact, it would be interesting to find out what the Muslim vote was compared to non-Muslim.
I can hazard a guess though.
Well, if the people of South Bolton do not like her thoughts and policies, they should have gone out and voted for another candidate. If I remember correctly, the voter turnout at the last general election was below 30%, so the remaining 70% should not complain when they get what they deserve. In fact, it would be interesting to find out what the Muslim vote was compared to non-Muslim. I can hazard a guess though. questionairre
  • Score: 2

6:04pm Wed 11 Jun 14

united99 says...

Jim271 wrote:
When is she going to comment on the Sudanese Government who are planning to execute a woman for the crime of being Christian?
Shut up jimmy - I get the feeling you don't like Muslims !!!
Well tough - live with it you jealous idiot.
[quote][p][bold]Jim271[/bold] wrote: When is she going to comment on the Sudanese Government who are planning to execute a woman for the crime of being Christian?[/p][/quote]Shut up jimmy - I get the feeling you don't like Muslims !!! Well tough - live with it you jealous idiot. united99
  • Score: -3

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree