Care worker rescues collapsed pensioner from house fire

The Bolton News: Care worker rescues collapsed pensioner from house fire Care worker rescues collapsed pensioner from house fire

A CARE worker rescued a pensioner from his burning house.

The fire broke out at 1.50pm today after the 78-year-old man accidentally dropped a cigarette onto a cushion.

He collapsed on the floor, but his Bolton at Home care worker was alerted by his smoke alarm and rushed to rescue him.

The 33-year-old woman opened the door to the smoke-filled home in Kirkwall Drive, Bolton, then dashed in and dragged the pensioner from his home.

The man was taken to the Royal Bolton Hospital, where he is being treated for smoke inhalation.

Firefighters from Farnworth and Bolton Central were called to the house to douse the flames.

Crew manager Phil Dearden, from Bolton Central fire station, said: “The care worker has been fantastic and went above and beyond her job.

"She dragged a man out of his smoke-filled house and to safety.

“The smoke alarm did its job and alerted both the fire service and his care worker.

"When people are smoking they should make sure they put their cigarettes out in an ashtray and never smoke when they are tired or have had a drink.”

Comments

Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree