THE friend of a suspected hit and run victim said his pal looked “unrecognisable” after an alleged attack at McDonald’s car park in Daubhill.

The 32-year-old man said he and his friend, also aged 32, got caught up in the incident at the fast food restaurant after being abused while sitting in a car eating their food.

The victim, an insurance broker, was hit by a car and suffered severe injuries, including broken legs and broken bones in his body and face.

It happened at about 11.40pm on Friday in the car park of the China Gardens McDonald’s, off Derby Street.

The man, who did not want to be named, claims the attack began when an argument broke out between two groups of people.

A man, who was not known to them, came up to the car they were sitting in and smirked at them before racially abusing them, he said.

The two friends got out of the car just before the victim was injured.

His friend, who did not want to be named, said: “At the time we had got a meal as we were opening our fast as it’s Ramadan.

“I couldn’t even recognise my friend’s face when I saw his injuries.

“He only started looking recognisable again on Sunday.

“There was a girl, aged between 14 to 16, who held my mate’s head.

"I just want to say a big thank you to her."


He described the horrifying moment he thought his friend had been killed.

"I was shouting his name, and I had no response.

"When I turned him over, he made a noise and I thought he was taking his final breath.

“There was blood everywhere, all over his face. I just couldn’t recognise him.”

He added: “He works hard as an insurance broker and supports his parents. He is a family man and pays for the bills in their house.

“We are grown men with responsibilities, we don’t get involved with things like this as we have families to look after. We do not go looking for trouble.”

The victim is still in Salford Royal Hospital, where his condition is said to be stable.

Police, who are investigating whether the incident was a racially motivated attack, are appealing for witnesses to come forward.

The group who had been in the argument got into two cars, believed to be a Volkswagen Polo and a Ford Fiesta, which were then driven off. Police say neither car stopped at the scene.

A 19-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving, failing to stop at the scene and failing to report the incident. He has since been bailed.

Anyone with information is asked to call police on 0161 8565595 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.