Former boxing champion shot in Spain

Walkden boxer Jamie Moore, who has been shot in Spain

Walkden boxer Jamie Moore, who has been shot in Spain

First published in News
Last updated
The Bolton News: Photograph of the Author by , crime reporter

FORMER boxing champion Jamie Moore is recovering in hospital after being shot twice in the legs in Marbella.

The 35-year-old, from Walkden, was reportedly attacked in the Spanish town, where he is training Birmingham middleweight Matthew Macklin, over the weekend.

Mr Moore, a former European light-middleweight champion, is not believed to have suffered permanent damage but remains in hospital.

Mr Moore took to Twitter to reassure fans. He said: “It’s at times like this that you realise how well your thought of. I’ve had unbelievable support. Means a lot it really does.#BoxingFamily.”

In another message he said: “Thanks for all the well wishes. Overwhelmed. Gutted and confused about what happened, but thank God I’m ok.”

Mr Macklin, via Twitter, said: “Just to let everyone know Jamie Moore is still in hospital but he's ok.

“He was shot in his legs but the doctors have said there shouldn't be any serious or permanent damage done.”

Mr Macklin is now based in Marbella, where he has his own gym, and recently appointed Mr Moore as his trainer. The two men are former opponents, having engaged in an epic battle in 2006 which Mr Moore won by knockout.

Family man Mr Moore was reportedly shot at five times and hit twice, in the leg and hip.

In a career hampered by a niggling shoulder injury, he won the European title in 2009 and was on the verge of a world title challenge before retiring in 2010 on doctors' advice.

He moved into television punditry before recently trying his hand at training fighters, coaching Hull lightweight Tommy Coyle as well as world title challenger Mr Macklin.

Mr Coyle said on Twitter: “It's not my place to comment on my friend & trainer Jamie Moore's situation.

“Jamie is stable and will be ok that's all I can say right now.”

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:31am Tue 5 Aug 14

Cheeseware says...

Was he knifed or shot????? Come on BN make your mind up
Was he knifed or shot????? Come on BN make your mind up Cheeseware
  • Score: 7

10:32am Tue 5 Aug 14

itsnotthatbad says...

Former boxing champion knifed in Spain.........

FORMER boxing champion Jamie Moore is recovering in hospital after being shot twice in the legs in Marbella.

“He was shot in his legs but the doctors have said there shouldn't be any serious or permanent damage done.”

Another shining example of world class reporting.... 1.Copy and paste from MEN-check. 2,include own headline-check. 3,pay attention to make sure correct before uploading story- chec....errrr.......
no
Former boxing champion knifed in Spain......... FORMER boxing champion Jamie Moore is recovering in hospital after being shot twice in the legs in Marbella. “He was shot in his legs but the doctors have said there shouldn't be any serious or permanent damage done.” Another shining example of world class reporting.... 1.Copy and paste from MEN-check. 2,include own headline-check. 3,pay attention to make sure correct before uploading story- chec....errrr....... no itsnotthatbad
  • Score: 15

10:45am Tue 5 Aug 14

MissDemocracy says...

So... was he shot or knifed?
So... was he shot or knifed? MissDemocracy
  • Score: 7

10:48am Tue 5 Aug 14

ke1979 says...

Maybe he was shot with knives. Don't just jump to the conclusion that this is shoddy work from the BN.
Maybe he was shot with knives. Don't just jump to the conclusion that this is shoddy work from the BN. ke1979
  • Score: 13

11:41am Tue 5 Aug 14

FreedomOfSpeech1945 says...

So why is this in the Bolton News? Pretty sure Walkden isn't in Bolton!!!!!
So why is this in the Bolton News? Pretty sure Walkden isn't in Bolton!!!!! FreedomOfSpeech1945
  • Score: 1

12:58pm Tue 5 Aug 14

cliff4treasurer says...

Saves moving from your desk I suppose.
Saves moving from your desk I suppose. cliff4treasurer
  • Score: 3

1:00pm Tue 5 Aug 14

Cheeseware says...

Maybe he was knifed and then the attacker pushed bullets into the wounds. Check the comments I put in the Armed Robber story. Its about time the BN stopped taking on these work experience kids and employed some actual reporters. Miranda Newey - Crime Reporter - should report on her own reporting as its a crime to journalism.
Maybe he was knifed and then the attacker pushed bullets into the wounds. Check the comments I put in the Armed Robber story. Its about time the BN stopped taking on these work experience kids and employed some actual reporters. Miranda Newey - Crime Reporter - should report on her own reporting as its a crime to journalism. Cheeseware
  • Score: 5

1:13pm Tue 5 Aug 14

Bobhat007 says...

The reason it's in the Bolton News is because Jaime lives on our doorstep and also supports a lot of the upcoming fighters and clubs in the area. So for a lot of people this will be a shock and they will be wanting to know how Jaime is. Poor report though. What next? Jaime Moore has been shot in Blackpool with spoons. Whatever you're smoking put it out and have a cold drink of water!
The reason it's in the Bolton News is because Jaime lives on our doorstep and also supports a lot of the upcoming fighters and clubs in the area. So for a lot of people this will be a shock and they will be wanting to know how Jaime is. Poor report though. What next? Jaime Moore has been shot in Blackpool with spoons. Whatever you're smoking put it out and have a cold drink of water! Bobhat007
  • Score: 2

2:20pm Tue 5 Aug 14

Julian Thorpe says...

Jamie has indeed been shot, and not knifed. Apologies for the error.
Jamie has indeed been shot, and not knifed. Apologies for the error. Julian Thorpe
  • Score: -2

5:12pm Tue 5 Aug 14

OriginalAngryDad says...

Julian Thorpe wrote:
Jamie has indeed been shot, and not knifed. Apologies for the error.
Julian,

Just out of interest, how do you pick these stories up?

Is it from the AP wire or Reuters?

Or do you just employ a work experience kid with very basic literacy skills to trawl the web for yesterday's news, looking for key words like "Bolton", "Flanagan" and "Dibnah"....?

I'm genuinely interested.

Cheers.
[quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: Jamie has indeed been shot, and not knifed. Apologies for the error.[/p][/quote]Julian, Just out of interest, how do you pick these stories up? Is it from the AP wire or Reuters? Or do you just employ a work experience kid with very basic literacy skills to trawl the web for yesterday's news, looking for key words like "Bolton", "Flanagan" and "Dibnah"....? I'm genuinely interested. Cheers. OriginalAngryDad
  • Score: 2

6:39pm Tue 5 Aug 14

Hollieanne says...

They get some off teletext.
They get some off teletext. Hollieanne
  • Score: 1

6:52pm Tue 5 Aug 14

calvin street says...

They also get some out of the Beano and one week old Sunday Star
They also get some out of the Beano and one week old Sunday Star calvin street
  • Score: 0

6:53pm Tue 5 Aug 14

GrumpyB says...

anyone else think the reporter has copy and paste ocd??
anyone else think the reporter has copy and paste ocd?? GrumpyB
  • Score: 0

12:26am Wed 6 Aug 14

FreedomOfSpeech1945 says...

OriginalAngryDad wrote:
Julian Thorpe wrote:
Jamie has indeed been shot, and not knifed. Apologies for the error.
Julian,

Just out of interest, how do you pick these stories up?

Is it from the AP wire or Reuters?

Or do you just employ a work experience kid with very basic literacy skills to trawl the web for yesterday's news, looking for key words like "Bolton", "Flanagan" and "Dibnah"....?

I'm genuinely interested.

Cheers.
Don't forget 'Khan'
[quote][p][bold]OriginalAngryDad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: Jamie has indeed been shot, and not knifed. Apologies for the error.[/p][/quote]Julian, Just out of interest, how do you pick these stories up? Is it from the AP wire or Reuters? Or do you just employ a work experience kid with very basic literacy skills to trawl the web for yesterday's news, looking for key words like "Bolton", "Flanagan" and "Dibnah"....? I'm genuinely interested. Cheers.[/p][/quote]Don't forget 'Khan' FreedomOfSpeech1945
  • Score: 2

9:31am Wed 6 Aug 14

655321 says...

FreedomOfSpeech1945 wrote:
OriginalAngryDad wrote:
Julian Thorpe wrote:
Jamie has indeed been shot, and not knifed. Apologies for the error.
Julian,

Just out of interest, how do you pick these stories up?

Is it from the AP wire or Reuters?

Or do you just employ a work experience kid with very basic literacy skills to trawl the web for yesterday's news, looking for key words like "Bolton", "Flanagan" and "Dibnah"....?

I'm genuinely interested.

Cheers.
Don't forget 'Khan'
Lol you beat me to it :)
[quote][p][bold]FreedomOfSpeech1945[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OriginalAngryDad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: Jamie has indeed been shot, and not knifed. Apologies for the error.[/p][/quote]Julian, Just out of interest, how do you pick these stories up? Is it from the AP wire or Reuters? Or do you just employ a work experience kid with very basic literacy skills to trawl the web for yesterday's news, looking for key words like "Bolton", "Flanagan" and "Dibnah"....? I'm genuinely interested. Cheers.[/p][/quote]Don't forget 'Khan'[/p][/quote]Lol you beat me to it :) 655321
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree