A TOWN centre bakery that was damaged in a blaze has to stay shut after asbestos was found in the building.
Caused by an electrical fault, the force of the blaze smashed the front windows of the shop and smoke spread upstairs and into nearby shops.
Passersby say they heard a loud bang and saw staff flee the shop and witnesses described a “horrible burning smell” around the town centre.
Firefighters say they saw flames around the shop’s electricity supply and that they reached the ceiling of the bakery building.
Crews had to be careful using hoses because of the electrics.
One firefighter fell while inside the building and dislocated his shoulder.
It appears that following the fire, investigators found a small trace of asbestos in the upper floor of the building where the bakery is based.
A spokesman for Pound Bakery said the substance was not a threat to staff or customers.
A statement from the firm said: “A small trace of asbestos has been found in the upper floor of the building following the fire in the Market Street Shop — this did not pose any threat to staff or customers prior to the fire.
"We are currently working with the asbestos removal company to ensure it is completely removed.
“We are doing everything we can to ensure the building is totally safe, as we will not reopen the shop until it is."