TASTE buds are twitching at Bolton Market ahead of the town’s food and drink festival.
Stallholders in the revamped lifestyle hall are looking forward to impressing visitors to the town over the Bank Holiday weekend with the range of cuisine available.
The hall has been a massive success for husband-and-wife-team Daniel and Gina Buck, who launched their real ale stall Great Ale Year Round seven months ago.
“The food festival is great for the town and the market,” said Mr Buck. “Coming into the lifestyle hall has been a big success for us and it will be great to see all the demonstrations and visitors flocking to Bolton.”
Owner of Cameroon eatery Nkono, Alain Job, is looking forward to spreading the African cuisine gospel during the festival.
“I am trying to extend the presence of African culture through food,” he said. “People have the opportunity to discover the depth of African cuisine, cooked with love and passion.”
Mr Job puts on his own demonstration on Monday and is promising to give away a meal a day during the festival.
The owner of Milano Pizza, Mehran Mohmedi, is also hoping his business will get a lift from the festival. “We are aiming to get a big boost from the number of people coming to the town,” he said.
The festival will be launched on Friday by two-star Michelin chef Michael Caines with free demonstrations in both the main marquee in Victoria Square and the open demonstration spaces in The Market Place and at Bolton Market.
On Saturday Italian chef Gino D’Campo is back in Bolton. TV presenter and chef John Torode takes to the kitchen on Sunday, and on Monday, Bolton Food and Drink Festival favourite James Martin’s will close the show.
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
Tickets are still available to watch celebrity chefs in Victoria Square from boltonfoodanddrinkfestival.com
- Saturday — Gino D’Acampo (11am, 1pm and 3pm);
- Sunday — John Torode (11am, 1pm and 3pm);
- Monday — James Martin (11am, 1pm and 3pm).
All the tickets to see CBBC star Katie Ashworth, who is appearing every day at the festival, have been snapped up.
Friday: Lifestyle Hall, Bolton Market:
- 11am — Aazam Ahmad, BBC Fusion Chef;
- 2pm — Friends of Fun Food (Urban Outreach).
Friday: Marquee on Corporation Street:
- 11am — Cookery competition
- 2.30pm — Michael Caines
Friday: Main Festival Marquee on Victoria Square:
- 1pm — Michael Caines;
- 2.30pm — Aazam Ahmad, BBC Fusion Chef;
- 3.30pm — Debbie Halls Evans.
Saturday: Lifestyle Hall, Bolton Market:
- 10am — Sean Wilson;
- Noon — Friends of Fun Food (Urban Outreach);
- 2pm — Sean Wilson
Saturday: Marquee on Corporation Street:
- 10am — Carol Brown (chocolate masterclass);
- 11am — Cocktails;
- Noon — Sean Wilson;
- 1pm — Michelle Gillott (chocolate masterclass);
- 2pm — Carol Brown (chocolate masterclass);
- 3pm — Jackie Kearney;
- 4pm — Justine Forrest.
Sunday: Marquee on Corporation Street:
- 11am — Phil Bianchi — Gift of Oil master class;
- Noon — To be confirmed;
- 1pm — John Wilkinson and Tom Gardner;
- 2pm — Aiden Byrne;
- 3pm — John Wilkinson and Tom Gardner.
Monday: Marquee on Corporation Street:
- 10am — Andrew Nutter;
- 11am — Jon Jones (Farmers’ Arms);
- Noon — Andrew Nutter;
- 1pm — Ernyst van Zyl (Lord Clyde country pub,
- 2pm — Andrew Nutter;
- 3pm — Alain Job (owner of Nkono from Bolton Market).