Every day we highlight top stories in The Bolton News and ask for your comments. You can either post your views on our Forum HERE or by email to the Letters Editor HERE or Sports Editor HERE.

The Bolton News: t1The Bolton News: t2

Little point in reducing fares subsidy

12:21pm Wednesday 20th August 2014

THE decision to reduce the subsidy for off-peak rail fares in Greater Manchester will save the taxpayer very little, if any, money.

Fracking is the future...

12:21pm Wednesday 20th August 2014

I USUALLY agree with the letters Susan Haworth writes, but I have doubts about “Fantastic decision on fracking”.

Contour are like prefects

12:20pm Wednesday 20th August 2014

RE the front page story on August 16. I too am a resident at Dean Court.

Theatre is such an icon

12:19pm Wednesday 20th August 2014

I WRITE to voice my concerns that the application to demolish the Theatre Church in Astley Bridge, had been originally expected to be decided by the director Keith Davies under delegated powers which means that he will make the decision on the application.

Nonsense written on Middle East

11:34am Tuesday 19th August 2014

RE the latest drivel to appear on the letters page over the crisis in the Middle East, this time by Malcolm Pittock. (First justice, then peace in the Mid East? August 9).

No blame for council

11:34am Tuesday 19th August 2014

IT is outrageous that the owners of Martin Bott Bookdealers blames Bolton Council for their demise in Horwich (The Bolton News, August 12).

Disgusted over closure

11:33am Tuesday 19th August 2014

HAVING read the appalling way the closure of the Theatre Church has been dealt with, I have to comment on the loss of this Bolton landmark and its long heritage in the Methodist religion and the arts.

Danger from Americans

11:32am Tuesday 19th August 2014

DAVID Cameron likes to portray himself as defender of British sovereignty in dealings with the EU.

Danger lurking on British soil

3:31pm Monday 18th August 2014

THE word of ISIS is being preached to young Muslims in this country and there is growing support for action to be taken on British soil, and it is only a matter of time before a major incident is carried out here.

Plea to be open-minded

3:30pm Monday 18th August 2014

CAN I make a plea for readers of this newspaper to be open-minded about what we see and hear from our mainstream media in this nation, about what has been happening in Gaza.

Red lights ignored

3:29pm Monday 18th August 2014

WITH regard to your very sad story in Friday's paper about a young woman who was killed by a driver who went through a red traffic light, may I say that I am appalled by the number of drivers nowadays who totally ignore red lights.

Not your seat — then shift

3:28pm Monday 18th August 2014

WHAT’S wrong with the folk in Bolton?

No chance to object

3:27pm Monday 18th August 2014

I WAS interested to read the front page article in Wednesday’s Bolton News regarding the proposed plan to demolish the former Theatre Church and build nine houses.

Fantastic decision on fracking

12:24pm Saturday 16th August 2014

WHAT a fantastic decision it is that Westhoughton Town Council has voted against fracking for shale gas or coal bed methane in the town.

Appalled at church plan

12:24pm Saturday 16th August 2014

I AM appalled to hear the news that the owners of the Theatre Church in Seymour Road have submitted plans to demolish this wonderful building and build houses.

Do the right thing

12:23pm Saturday 16th August 2014

FOLLOWING the news of the proposal to demolish the Theatre Church in Bolton, I am responding as an active member in the Bolton Amateur Dramatic circuit to say that it is extremely upsetting to hear of this news.

Cost of cuts could be huge

12:22pm Saturday 16th August 2014

SINCE 1999, the United Nations has declared that August 12 each year will be National Youth Day.

Disgraceful decision on theatre

12:25pm Friday 15th August 2014

I AM writing to express my concern at Bolton Council’s decision to accept planning permission to knock down the Theatre Church in Seymour Road, Astley Bridge.

Stage set for tragedy

12:25pm Friday 15th August 2014

OSCAR Wilde once wrote that a cynic is someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Food Festival ticket woes

12:24pm Friday 15th August 2014

I CALLED into the Albert Halls booking office to ask where I could obtain tickets for the Food and Drink Festival.

Danger of NHS sell-off

12:23pm Friday 15th August 2014

I AGREE with Brian Derbyshire (Danger Deal for the NHS). We are in grave danger of seeing our NHS sold off.

Wonderful memorial

12:23pm Friday 15th August 2014

PLEASE may I say a big thank you for Kearsley War Memorial. Whoever put the wooden planters down and cleared it up on Monday, it looked very nice. Thank you.

Taking sides solves nothing

4:03pm Thursday 14th August 2014

DESPITE revoltingly war-torn news items from around the world, human beings are no better or worse than they have been throughout their turbulent history.

Deprivation and despair in Gaza

4:03pm Thursday 14th August 2014

WHEN the Peel Commission responded in 1937 to the Arab revolt with its recommendation to partition Palestine into a Jewish State and a Palestinian State, David Ben-Gurion said: “A partial Jewish State is not the end but the beginning, a powerful impetus in our historic effort to redeem the land in its entirety”.

Calculations don’t add up

4:02pm Thursday 14th August 2014

I ACKNOWLEDGE with thanks the Summers’ correction with regard to the difference between the composition of the Retail Price Index (RPI) and the Consumer Price Index (CPI), which now includes food and energy costs.

More cuts on the cards

4:02pm Thursday 14th August 2014

IAIN Duncan Smith, aided by a so-called independent Bank of England deputy governor Ben Broadbent, seeks to create a low skilled, low-paid workforce by cutting benefits even more.

Israel has right to self-defence

11:16am Wednesday 13th August 2014

UNLIKE some of your correspondents, whom it would appear fully support the murderous exploits of Hamas against Israeli civilians, I refer to recent letters from Steve Jones and Ian Greenhalgh, along with comments made by Bolton East MP David Crausby, I fully support the Israelis in their right to exercise self defence.

In a muddle over medal

11:16am Wednesday 13th August 2014

I WAS recently at Westhoughton Library doing some research in the Westhoughton History Society room.

Setting a bad example

11:16am Wednesday 13th August 2014

I AM with The Bolton News comment column, July 31, highlighting doubts about Bolton Urban Outreach’s campaign to hand out free meals to children during the school holidays.

Fair deal for motorists

11:15am Wednesday 13th August 2014

THE Alliance of British Drivers (ABD) has produced a Motorists’ Charter with a blueprint for fairer treatment for drivers and better spending on roads.

Saving life is priority

11:14am Wednesday 13th August 2014

I QUOTE Yasmin Qureshi: “You cannot seriously compare Hamas’ military strength with Israel” — so why keep up with the bombardment of Israel with rocket fire?

Please sign petition for peace

9:13am Tuesday 12th August 2014

DAY after day we see shocking images from Gaza — men, women and innocent children being killed, injured and driven from their homes.

Protest well publicised

9:12am Tuesday 12th August 2014

I AM somewhat taken aback by the protestations of Councillor Bashir-Ismail about not being consulted and informed of the Blackburn Road protest against the planned mosque.

No control on payments

9:12am Tuesday 12th August 2014

COUNCILLOR John Walsh (August 7) has wrongly dragged human rights into the issue of the disclosure of the names of the two councillors who failed to pay their council tax on time.

Danger deal for the NHS

9:11am Tuesday 12th August 2014

WITHOUT a doubt, the single-most important aspect for voters in the UK is our NHS. Yet we are in grave danger of seeing this jewel in our crown sold off to foreign companies, under a controversial EU and US trade deal.

Councillors should apologise

2:33pm Monday 11th August 2014

I WOULD like to comment on the outrageous behaviour of two councillors who failed to pay council tax, not for one year but two years.

No litter in Moscow...

2:32pm Monday 11th August 2014

I AGREE wholeheartedly with the sentiments expressed in David Sharples’ letter (August 5), regarding the state of litter in Breightmet.

Anger over litter louts

2:31pm Monday 11th August 2014

I TOO experience anger, frustration and disappointment at the failure of many residents of Bolton to act responsibly by taking home their litter, rather than dumping it around the town.

Three weeks is too long

2:31pm Monday 11th August 2014

WHEN I wheeled my grey bin outside I discovered a double-sized mattress with soiled bedding had been fly-tipped directly in front of my front gate.

Trust does a great job

2:30pm Monday 11th August 2014

HOW very fortunate we are in Bolton that two vets, Owen Monie and Gareth Haines, decided to open their not-for-profit Animal Trust veterinary surgery in our town.

First justice, then peace in Mid East?

10:01am Saturday 9th August 2014

THERE is a strange mismatch between the West’s response to Putin’s support for the pro-Russian separatists and to Israel’s atrocious attack on Gaza.

I am treated as an adult

10:00am Saturday 9th August 2014

TO “Your choices on housing” (Name and address supplied), please get real.

Pride over these events

10:00am Saturday 9th August 2014

WORDS fail me when I try to describe the privilege of being able to join in the events in Bolton to mark the centenary of the start of WW1— these culminating in the candlelit vigil at the parish church.

Not much will change

9:59am Saturday 9th August 2014

IN response to M Armstrong and possible problems if Horwich left Bolton and went into Chorley.

Repairs that should have been done

3:36pm Friday 8th August 2014

RE the story “Repairs ordeal ‘making me ill’” (The Bolton News Monday, August 4).

Thanks for my phone

3:36pm Friday 8th August 2014

A HUGE thank you to the person who found my mobile phone and handed it in to the staff at Asda, Astley Bridge, on Saturday, July 26.

Seeing red over cyclists

3:35pm Friday 8th August 2014

CONCERNING pedal cyclists riding through traffic lights on red becoming a regular occurence lately — not young boys but older men in their 30s through to their 60s.

Law an ass over names

3:35pm Friday 8th August 2014

I APPLAUD The Bolton News for it’s tenacity in pursuing the right to publish the names of the two local councillors who failed to pay their council tax within the timescale imposed on the rest of Bolton’s citizens.

Traffic chaos at mosque

3:34pm Friday 8th August 2014

I READ with interest regarding the demonstration in Blackburn Road about the extension of the mosque.

See this exhibition

3:33pm Friday 8th August 2014

I HAVE just been to Westhoughton Library to see the WW1 exhibition.

News in your areaYourBolton

Your Say Your Bolton

Easy Navigation

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree