Unique Wanderers poster recalls glory days

The Bolton News: Unique Wanderers poster recalls glory days Unique Wanderers poster recalls glory days

THE night Bolton Wanderers knocked the holders, Liverpool, out of the FA Cup in their own back yard is acknowledged as one of the most comprehensive of all football giant-killings.

Memories of Wednesday, January 13, 1993, are cherished, not only by the 8,500 Wanderers supporters who witnessed the action live but by the thousands more who excitedly feasted on reports of the events of that magnificent performance that humbled the “mighty” Reds and silenced the famous Kop.

And one image, above all others, that captured the moment and will be forever associated with that third-round replay was the photograph that appeared on the front page of the following day’s Bolton Evening News.

Above the headline “WHITE HOT”, the heroes — goalscorers John McGinlay and Andy Walker flanking man of the match David Lee — are pictured arm in arm milking the applause of the 34,700 crowd, appreciative Liverpool supporters as well as ecstatic Wanderers fans saluting a magnificent performance by the Division Three “minnows”.

It was acknowledged as an iconic image and it became the most popular print order taken by the newspaper’s photographic department. Indeed, it became the first of a set of three marking the FA Cup exploits of the giant-killing teams assembled by manager Bruce Rioch, who guided Wanderers through two promotions from the third tier of English football to Premier League in just three years.

Now, The Bolton News is marking the 20th anniversary of that famous victory with the production of a magnificent poster of that iconic image captured under the Anfield lights.

The triumphant trio — McGinlay who headed Wanderers into the lead after just three minutes, Lee who ran the Liverpool defence ragged and was the architect of the 2-0 win, and Walker who sealed the victory with another header 11 minutes from the end — have autographed the image to provide a must-have memento for all Wanderers fans.

Reports of that win suggested: “Those who saw it will never forget it!” Thanks to “WHITE HOT”, the memory lives on.

You can buy the poster from The Bolton News offices on the ground floor of The Wellsprings in Bolton town centre, next to Victoria Square, for the amazing price of just £5.99, housed in a poster tube.
You can also order a poster by phone — call 0844 847 5822, at a cost of £5.99, plus £1.50 postage and packing to a UK address. Overseas postage and packing is £6.50.
The poster will also be available from selected Bolton newsagents from tomorrow.

Comments (22)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:33am Mon 3 Dec 12

MarkAllRead says...

Right, so it's "unique", but we can all order a copy? Er...
Right, so it's "unique", but we can all order a copy? Er... MarkAllRead
  • Score: 0

12:35pm Mon 3 Dec 12

BWFC1988 says...

Not really the best time to be selling Wanderers tat, we've just been beaten by possibly the worst footballing side in our division, fan morale is at an all-time low and now your waving past success in our faces!
Not really the best time to be selling Wanderers tat, we've just been beaten by possibly the worst footballing side in our division, fan morale is at an all-time low and now your waving past success in our faces! BWFC1988
  • Score: 0

12:39pm Mon 3 Dec 12

boltonnut says...

I have supported BoltonW.since the 50s,even though I now live in another country.It would cost me 12.49 pounds to purchase this (unique) poster,its not that unique enough for me.Some monday morning musing,if I start saving up now maybe I can buy a third division Bolto poster next season,recent performances are looking ominous.I have put my time in,I think I am allowed to vent my feelings.
I have supported BoltonW.since the 50s,even though I now live in another country.It would cost me 12.49 pounds to purchase this (unique) poster,its not that unique enough for me.Some monday morning musing,if I start saving up now maybe I can buy a third division Bolto poster next season,recent performances are looking ominous.I have put my time in,I think I am allowed to vent my feelings. boltonnut
  • Score: 0

1:55pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Reality50 says...

Memories of great times. I was at Anfield that night and used to go home and away everywhere in the 80s and 90s until I got priced out.I do think Dougie Freedman will turn us round given time though and he will need time.What I miss about those great days is Burnden Park. The club lost its soul when it moved to Horwich.I would love the club to sell The Reebok and build a new stadium back where we belong-in Bolton-.Juventus moved to the Della Alpi and it wasn't a success so they built another new stadium and we should do the same. The Reebok is a soulless bowl and I can count on the fingers of two hands the amount of times that stadium has rocked since opening. We need a Burnden mark two.
Memories of great times. I was at Anfield that night and used to go home and away everywhere in the 80s and 90s until I got priced out.I do think Dougie Freedman will turn us round given time though and he will need time.What I miss about those great days is Burnden Park. The club lost its soul when it moved to Horwich.I would love the club to sell The Reebok and build a new stadium back where we belong-in Bolton-.Juventus moved to the Della Alpi and it wasn't a success so they built another new stadium and we should do the same. The Reebok is a soulless bowl and I can count on the fingers of two hands the amount of times that stadium has rocked since opening. We need a Burnden mark two. Reality50
  • Score: 0

2:01pm Mon 3 Dec 12

stantheman133 says...

Disagree, there is soul at the Reebok, there's just no reason to celebrate it,ie nothing to cheer about. Must admit I was at Anfield that night and the atmosphere was electric.
Disagree, there is soul at the Reebok, there's just no reason to celebrate it,ie nothing to cheer about. Must admit I was at Anfield that night and the atmosphere was electric. stantheman133
  • Score: 0

8:34pm Mon 3 Dec 12

dougie kay says...

Total £7.49 = app 12 rolls of toilet paper, much better value and certainly much more practical and they don't skid
Total £7.49 = app 12 rolls of toilet paper, much better value and certainly much more practical and they don't skid dougie kay
  • Score: 0

8:36pm Mon 3 Dec 12

dougie kay says...

Total £7.49 = app 12 rolls of toilet paper, much better value and certainly much more practical and they don't skid
Total £7.49 = app 12 rolls of toilet paper, much better value and certainly much more practical and they don't skid dougie kay
  • Score: 0

11:07pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Bob Shaftoe says...

First it's Muamba you have a go at every opportunity, please pardon him for surviving. Now this nonsense about a Wanderers poster. You really are a sad case Doogie. Get a life sunshine.
First it's Muamba you have a go at every opportunity, please pardon him for surviving. Now this nonsense about a Wanderers poster. You really are a sad case Doogie. Get a life sunshine. Bob Shaftoe
  • Score: 0

1:42am Tue 4 Dec 12

wild one says...

Oh for the glory days again........instead of the spiral downfall were in.....
Oh for the glory days again........instead of the spiral downfall were in..... wild one
  • Score: 0

12:45pm Tue 4 Dec 12

BWFC1988 says...

@Dougie Kay, whoever is selling you toilet roll is nailing your cap on! £7.49 for 12 rolls?! Behave!
@Dougie Kay, whoever is selling you toilet roll is nailing your cap on! £7.49 for 12 rolls?! Behave! BWFC1988
  • Score: 0

9:31pm Tue 4 Dec 12

dougie kay says...

Bob Shaftoe wrote:
First it's Muamba you have a go at every opportunity, please pardon him for surviving. Now this nonsense about a Wanderers poster. You really are a sad case Doogie. Get a life sunshine.
got one mate.difference is mine is set around a variety of subjects. covering many expects .. Your's it seems is focused on twenty two men and a ball with an unhealthy reluctance to accept any opinion expressed .that differs from your's . P.S please have the courtesy to spell my name correctly . it is after all printed at the head of my comment and if you see Fabrice give my regards and tell him I forgive him.
[quote][p][bold]Bob Shaftoe[/bold] wrote: First it's Muamba you have a go at every opportunity, please pardon him for surviving. Now this nonsense about a Wanderers poster. You really are a sad case Doogie. Get a life sunshine.[/p][/quote]got one mate.difference is mine is set around a variety of subjects. covering many expects .. Your's it seems is focused on twenty two men and a ball with an unhealthy reluctance to accept any opinion expressed .that differs from your's . P.S please have the courtesy to spell my name correctly . it is after all printed at the head of my comment and if you see Fabrice give my regards and tell him I forgive him. dougie kay
  • Score: 0

9:31pm Tue 4 Dec 12

dougie kay says...

Bob Shaftoe wrote:
First it's Muamba you have a go at every opportunity, please pardon him for surviving. Now this nonsense about a Wanderers poster. You really are a sad case Doogie. Get a life sunshine.
got one mate.difference is mine is set around a variety of subjects. covering many expects .. Your's it seems is focused on twenty two men and a ball with an unhealthy reluctance to accept any opinion expressed .that differs from your's . P.S please have the courtesy to spell my name correctly . it is after all printed at the head of my comment and if you see Fabrice give my regards and tell him I forgive him.
[quote][p][bold]Bob Shaftoe[/bold] wrote: First it's Muamba you have a go at every opportunity, please pardon him for surviving. Now this nonsense about a Wanderers poster. You really are a sad case Doogie. Get a life sunshine.[/p][/quote]got one mate.difference is mine is set around a variety of subjects. covering many expects .. Your's it seems is focused on twenty two men and a ball with an unhealthy reluctance to accept any opinion expressed .that differs from your's . P.S please have the courtesy to spell my name correctly . it is after all printed at the head of my comment and if you see Fabrice give my regards and tell him I forgive him. dougie kay
  • Score: 0

9:33pm Tue 4 Dec 12

dougie kay says...

BWFC1988 wrote:
@Dougie Kay, whoever is selling you toilet roll is nailing your cap on! £7.49 for 12 rolls?! Behave!
READ IT MATE , i said approx.
[quote][p][bold]BWFC1988[/bold] wrote: @Dougie Kay, whoever is selling you toilet roll is nailing your cap on! £7.49 for 12 rolls?! Behave![/p][/quote]READ IT MATE , i said approx. dougie kay
  • Score: 0

9:08am Wed 5 Dec 12

Barefoot Wanderer says...

john mcguinley's on £2 commission I've been told ;-)
john mcguinley's on £2 commission I've been told ;-) Barefoot Wanderer
  • Score: 0

9:12am Wed 5 Dec 12

Barefoot Wanderer says...

dougie kay wrote:
Bob Shaftoe wrote:
First it's Muamba you have a go at every opportunity, please pardon him for surviving. Now this nonsense about a Wanderers poster. You really are a sad case Doogie. Get a life sunshine.
got one mate.difference is mine is set around a variety of subjects. covering many expects .. Your's it seems is focused on twenty two men and a ball with an unhealthy reluctance to accept any opinion expressed .that differs from your's . P.S please have the courtesy to spell my name correctly . it is after all printed at the head of my comment and if you see Fabrice give my regards and tell him I forgive him.
should you be teaching people to spell?

didn't you mean covering many aspects :-)
[quote][p][bold]dougie kay[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bob Shaftoe[/bold] wrote: First it's Muamba you have a go at every opportunity, please pardon him for surviving. Now this nonsense about a Wanderers poster. You really are a sad case Doogie. Get a life sunshine.[/p][/quote]got one mate.difference is mine is set around a variety of subjects. covering many expects .. Your's it seems is focused on twenty two men and a ball with an unhealthy reluctance to accept any opinion expressed .that differs from your's . P.S please have the courtesy to spell my name correctly . it is after all printed at the head of my comment and if you see Fabrice give my regards and tell him I forgive him.[/p][/quote]should you be teaching people to spell? didn't you mean covering many aspects :-) Barefoot Wanderer
  • Score: 0

12:58pm Wed 5 Dec 12

boltoncity says...

The lady with the dark hair holding the poster up is very tidy
The lady with the dark hair holding the poster up is very tidy boltoncity
  • Score: 0

8:49pm Wed 5 Dec 12

Barefoot Wanderer says...

that's my mum !
that's my mum ! Barefoot Wanderer
  • Score: 0

8:49pm Wed 5 Dec 12

dougie kay says...

Barefoot Wanderer wrote:
dougie kay wrote:
Bob Shaftoe wrote:
First it's Muamba you have a go at every opportunity, please pardon him for surviving. Now this nonsense about a Wanderers poster. You really are a sad case Doogie. Get a life sunshine.
got one mate.difference is mine is set around a variety of subjects. covering many expects .. Your's it seems is focused on twenty two men and a ball with an unhealthy reluctance to accept any opinion expressed .that differs from your's . P.S please have the courtesy to spell my name correctly . it is after all printed at the head of my comment and if you see Fabrice give my regards and tell him I forgive him.
should you be teaching people to spell?

didn't you mean covering many aspects :-)
guilty as found, mine is a spelling mistake , have never admitted to being word perfect. and your excuse is? let me guess! would it be the inability to copy the written word?. Must admit it though ,you did cause me to do something I said I would refrain from. I.E mention some ones name again, but you mentioned him first , in this particular exchange. look after yourself sunshine, no doubt our paths will cross again I
[quote][p][bold]Barefoot Wanderer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dougie kay[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bob Shaftoe[/bold] wrote: First it's Muamba you have a go at every opportunity, please pardon him for surviving. Now this nonsense about a Wanderers poster. You really are a sad case Doogie. Get a life sunshine.[/p][/quote]got one mate.difference is mine is set around a variety of subjects. covering many expects .. Your's it seems is focused on twenty two men and a ball with an unhealthy reluctance to accept any opinion expressed .that differs from your's . P.S please have the courtesy to spell my name correctly . it is after all printed at the head of my comment and if you see Fabrice give my regards and tell him I forgive him.[/p][/quote]should you be teaching people to spell? didn't you mean covering many aspects :-)[/p][/quote]guilty as found, mine is a spelling mistake , have never admitted to being word perfect. and your excuse is? let me guess! would it be the inability to copy the written word?. Must admit it though ,you did cause me to do something I said I would refrain from. I.E mention some ones name again, but you mentioned him first , in this particular exchange. look after yourself sunshine, no doubt our paths will cross again I dougie kay
  • Score: 0

8:46am Thu 6 Dec 12

Bob Shaftoe says...

dougie kay wrote:
Bob Shaftoe wrote:
First it's Muamba you have a go at every opportunity, please pardon him for surviving. Now this nonsense about a Wanderers poster. You really are a sad case Doogie. Get a life sunshine.
got one mate.difference is mine is set around a variety of subjects. covering many expects .. Your's it seems is focused on twenty two men and a ball with an unhealthy reluctance to accept any opinion expressed .that differs from your's . P.S please have the courtesy to spell my name correctly . it is after all printed at the head of my comment and if you see Fabrice give my regards and tell him I forgive him.
....... many subjects covering different aspects eh, Doogie? Go on then, what's your opinion of the Chancellor's Autumn Statement.
[quote][p][bold]dougie kay[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bob Shaftoe[/bold] wrote: First it's Muamba you have a go at every opportunity, please pardon him for surviving. Now this nonsense about a Wanderers poster. You really are a sad case Doogie. Get a life sunshine.[/p][/quote]got one mate.difference is mine is set around a variety of subjects. covering many expects .. Your's it seems is focused on twenty two men and a ball with an unhealthy reluctance to accept any opinion expressed .that differs from your's . P.S please have the courtesy to spell my name correctly . it is after all printed at the head of my comment and if you see Fabrice give my regards and tell him I forgive him.[/p][/quote]....... many subjects covering different aspects eh, Doogie? Go on then, what's your opinion of the Chancellor's Autumn Statement. Bob Shaftoe
  • Score: 0

10:11am Thu 6 Dec 12

Barefoot Wanderer says...

dougie kay wrote:
Barefoot Wanderer wrote:
dougie kay wrote:
Bob Shaftoe wrote:
First it's Muamba you have a go at every opportunity, please pardon him for surviving. Now this nonsense about a Wanderers poster. You really are a sad case Doogie. Get a life sunshine.
got one mate.difference is mine is set around a variety of subjects. covering many expects .. Your's it seems is focused on twenty two men and a ball with an unhealthy reluctance to accept any opinion expressed .that differs from your's . P.S please have the courtesy to spell my name correctly . it is after all printed at the head of my comment and if you see Fabrice give my regards and tell him I forgive him.
should you be teaching people to spell?

didn't you mean covering many aspects :-)
guilty as found, mine is a spelling mistake , have never admitted to being word perfect. and your excuse is? let me guess! would it be the inability to copy the written word?. Must admit it though ,you did cause me to do something I said I would refrain from. I.E mention some ones name again, but you mentioned him first , in this particular exchange. look after yourself sunshine, no doubt our paths will cross again I
doukie I couldn't resist - you asked Bob Shaftoe to spell your name right then went on to make a spelling mistake of your own! It's ok I'll forgive you :-) - I used to have a spelling book at school and I brought it home one day only for my dad to spot I'd wrote "Speling" on the cover istead of "Spelling" ;-)
[quote][p][bold]dougie kay[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Barefoot Wanderer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dougie kay[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bob Shaftoe[/bold] wrote: First it's Muamba you have a go at every opportunity, please pardon him for surviving. Now this nonsense about a Wanderers poster. You really are a sad case Doogie. Get a life sunshine.[/p][/quote]got one mate.difference is mine is set around a variety of subjects. covering many expects .. Your's it seems is focused on twenty two men and a ball with an unhealthy reluctance to accept any opinion expressed .that differs from your's . P.S please have the courtesy to spell my name correctly . it is after all printed at the head of my comment and if you see Fabrice give my regards and tell him I forgive him.[/p][/quote]should you be teaching people to spell? didn't you mean covering many aspects :-)[/p][/quote]guilty as found, mine is a spelling mistake , have never admitted to being word perfect. and your excuse is? let me guess! would it be the inability to copy the written word?. Must admit it though ,you did cause me to do something I said I would refrain from. I.E mention some ones name again, but you mentioned him first , in this particular exchange. look after yourself sunshine, no doubt our paths will cross again I[/p][/quote]doukie I couldn't resist - you asked Bob Shaftoe to spell your name right then went on to make a spelling mistake of your own! It's ok I'll forgive you :-) - I used to have a spelling book at school and I brought it home one day only for my dad to spot I'd wrote "Speling" on the cover istead of "Spelling" ;-) Barefoot Wanderer
  • Score: 0

1:35pm Sun 9 Dec 12

berushka says...

Not wishing to get involved too much in this topic, as it is about the one subject that makes me want to vomit - football, and after the recent, disgusting behaviour in Holland, why anyone continues to enjoy this tripe is beyond me. I remember my Grandfather giving me a metal rosette, with two blue and silver tassels, which had inscribed, 'BW Up the Trotters, and Give us another Goal' to commemorate or commiserate their defeat against Blackpool in 1953. I was even taken to watch them parade through the town centre in an open 'bus. I still have that rosette and it is lost, with all the other unwanted rubbish one accumulates, in my cellar. To get to the point, I just wanted to say that, here we have yet again our old friend Shafter poking his/her/its nose in and deriding another poster who doesn't totally agree with his/her/its preachings. This time it is Dougie who is on the end of this moron's ramblings. For the sake of sanity, common sense and dignity, Shafter, get lost, go and kick a ball up your rear aperture and leave these comments to sensible people. And Dougie, I quite agree, that poster would make lousy toilet paper, even though that is what it was intended for in the first place.
Not wishing to get involved too much in this topic, as it is about the one subject that makes me want to vomit - football, and after the recent, disgusting behaviour in Holland, why anyone continues to enjoy this tripe is beyond me. I remember my Grandfather giving me a metal rosette, with two blue and silver tassels, which had inscribed, 'BW Up the Trotters, and Give us another Goal' to commemorate or commiserate their defeat against Blackpool in 1953. I was even taken to watch them parade through the town centre in an open 'bus. I still have that rosette and it is lost, with all the other unwanted rubbish one accumulates, in my cellar. To get to the point, I just wanted to say that, here we have yet again our old friend Shafter poking his/her/its nose in and deriding another poster who doesn't totally agree with his/her/its preachings. This time it is Dougie who is on the end of this moron's ramblings. For the sake of sanity, common sense and dignity, Shafter, get lost, go and kick a ball up your rear aperture and leave these comments to sensible people. And Dougie, I quite agree, that poster would make lousy toilet paper, even though that is what it was intended for in the first place. berushka
  • Score: 0

9:01pm Sun 9 Dec 12

Rememberscarborough says...

Each to their own but I still have the original in a scrap book together with various other reports from the "White Hot" years. I'll never forget that day nearly 20 years ago and I hope the current generation of fans get similar memories.
Each to their own but I still have the original in a scrap book together with various other reports from the "White Hot" years. I'll never forget that day nearly 20 years ago and I hope the current generation of fans get similar memories. Rememberscarborough
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree