9:09am Wednesday 5th December 2012
FAMILIES had to be evacuated from their homes following a suspected bomb scare.
Police were called to Rigby Grove in Little Hulton at about 5.20pm yesterday after an unexploded mortar shell was found. It was detonated this morning.
More than 15 homes were evacuated.
Police confirmed the shell had been discovered in a garden.
An officer at the scene said: “There will be nothing done with it tonight.”
The cordon remained in place last night and police said it would not be lifted until the bomb squad had finished their inspections.
People were unable to return to their homes in the residential street while the cordon was in force. They returned this morning.
It is believed the bomb was found in a semi-detached house at the bottom end of the cul-de-sac.
A small crowd of local residents gathered to watch the comings and going of the emergency services.
There were several police cars and Police Community Support Officers at the scene. A bomb disposal van also attended.
© Copyright 2001-2014 Newsquest Media Group