Cigarette may have caused bathroom fire

First published in News

A DISCARDED cigarette is thought to have started a fire in a Farnworth flat.

The blaze started in the bathroom of the third floor flat in Reed Close at 4.40pm yesterday.

Firefighters were alerted when neighbours spotted smoke coming from the roof. The bathroom was damaged and there was some minor smoke damage to the rest of the flat. It is thought the flat is vacant.

Watch commander Simon Brown, from Farnworth Fire Station, said: “The bathroom door was shut, which contained the fire and the rest of the flat was fairly smoke-free. The flat didn’t have any working smoke alarms and we would like to advise people to make sure they have alarms installed.”

For a free home fire risk assessment, call 0800 555815.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree