Extra Council staff being moved into town to boost restaurant trade

First published in News

EXTRA workers will be based in the town centre in a bid to boost Bolton’s restaurant trade.

Town Hall chiefs have announced they are drafting more employees into the town centre.

Bolton Council chief executive Sean Harriss admitted one of the reasons staff were being moved into the Town Hall from other council buildings as part of its multi-million pound refurbishment was to encourage staff to make the most of central Bolton. He added: “There’s a lot of evidence that for a restaurant to operate it needs a day time market as well as a night time market. That’s why we are trying to put as many of our staff in the town centre as we can.

“We could have moved staff out to other buildings that we own but we’re trying to consolidate here and want staff to use the town centre. That’s one of the things we’re trying to do as a council.

“There’s a lot of evidence that just relying on retail to bring shoppers in isn’t enough. You need a critical mass of things around the town centre. We’ve got the Octagon which is very good, and the university and college nearby.”

The move comes as Bolton’s top police chief called for more to be done to attract families to the town centre to end its “unsafe image”.

Other council leaders have expressed their frustration at restaurateurs who visited the town for the popular annual Food and Drink Festival but have not “put their money where their mouth is” when they praised Bolton and did not set up shop in the town.

This year's festival attracted 102,000 people and was hailed “the best so far” with five celebrity TV chefs performing live demonstrations including Michael Caines, Mary Berry, Paul Hollywood, Jean-Christophe Novelli and James Martin.

Cllr Nick Peel, executive cabinet for environment, said: “We’ve got a thriving night-time economy but not for restaurants.

“It’s regrettable that we put the Food and Drink Festival on and everyone says how much they love it here, but they don’t put their money where their mouth is by bringing eating establishments to the town centre. What more can we do as a council?”

The council’s director of development and regeneration, Keith Davies, said: “There are some restaurants that are starting to be developed, there are one or two in Bradshawgate trying to make themselves more family friendly.”

But existing business owners say more needs to be done to improve infrastructure around the town centre — and that firms need to work together to make it a success.

Entrepreneur Steve Hoyle opened the Downtown steakhouse in the former Prosecco restaurant in Bradshawgate in October.

He said: “It sounds like a good idea. We’re always trying to see what kind of things we can do, we have music in the night and the restaurant in the day.

“Because of the way the economy is we all need to work with each other rather than against each other.”

Tasos Pattichis, owner of Olympus Fish and Chip Restaurant in Great Moor Street, added: “People who want to wine and dine won’t come into Bolton. They go to Manchester.

“There was a lot of money in Bolton brought in by the rich mill owners, the Town Hall and square are beautiful.

“But people are going to places like Middlebrook and in the town centre we’re just left with things like pound shops.

“People come to my restaurant from all over, they come from London and say how amazing the restaurant is, and I could have done a lot better for myself had I left Bolton but it’s my home.

“What the town really needs is infrastructure, including transport, and bringing things like cinemas here.

“At the moment it’s all fragmented and we’re putting the cart before the horse.”

Comments (52)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:47am Tue 1 Jan 13

thetrotter says...

How much does mr Harriss get paid to come up with rich data like this!

I just hope that we the council taxpayers won't be expected to pay additional travel expenses to the employees brought back into the town hall. Finally, keep this bit under your hat but I have it on good authority that the council workers, unless they get a meal allowance, will be bringing pack lunches with them due to the current economic conditions.

Sean Harris & Cliff Morris the modern day Laurel & Hardy, only an unfunny version.
How much does mr Harriss get paid to come up with rich data like this! I just hope that we the council taxpayers won't be expected to pay additional travel expenses to the employees brought back into the town hall. Finally, keep this bit under your hat but I have it on good authority that the council workers, unless they get a meal allowance, will be bringing pack lunches with them due to the current economic conditions. Sean Harris & Cliff Morris the modern day Laurel & Hardy, only an unfunny version. thetrotter
  • Score: 0

9:30am Tue 1 Jan 13

oftbewildered2 says...

'pie' in the sky?
'pie' in the sky? oftbewildered2
  • Score: 0

10:33am Tue 1 Jan 13

TimelordUK says...

Surely the council staff will just nip to Greggs or the Pound Bakery? How much of a meal break do they get? If they have time to order a meal in a restaurant and wait to be served, then have coffees then to me that explains why nothing gets done in Bolton!
Surely the council staff will just nip to Greggs or the Pound Bakery? How much of a meal break do they get? If they have time to order a meal in a restaurant and wait to be served, then have coffees then to me that explains why nothing gets done in Bolton! TimelordUK
  • Score: 0

10:40am Tue 1 Jan 13

millarcy says...

Which Member of the Council has shares in a Town Centre restaraunt?
Which Member of the Council has shares in a Town Centre restaraunt? millarcy
  • Score: 0

10:48am Tue 1 Jan 13

binmans wages reduced says...

what a ridiculous piece of 'spin'

who are they trying to kid?
what a ridiculous piece of 'spin' who are they trying to kid? binmans wages reduced
  • Score: 0

10:49am Tue 1 Jan 13

Innocent_bystander says...

> "The move comes as Bolton’s top police chief called for more to be done to attract families to the town centre to end its unsafe image."

I don't come into Bolton because when I do, there's every chance my car will be broken into, and the 'security' cameras in the car park won't be working, then the police station will be shut when I drive there to report the incident....
> "The move comes as Bolton’s top police chief called for more to be done to attract families to the town centre to end its unsafe image." I don't come into Bolton because when I do, there's every chance my car will be broken into, and the 'security' cameras in the car park won't be working, then the police station will be shut when I drive there to report the incident.... Innocent_bystander
  • Score: 0

11:42am Tue 1 Jan 13

BWFC71 says...

are these people going to be part of the 20,000 town centre workers that Clifford "3 Jobs" Morris was going on about when he says that teh town centre isn't a mess??

The owner of Olympus Chippy says it right when he states as to whats wrong with the town - but will the councillors listen. The owner of Beales said the same a few months ago, so did the owner of the now closed Sweetens bookshop, and many of the towns voters. If all these people can see what is actually wrong with the town, then, howcome, our great elected councillors cannot see it???

One final point of all office workers I know and worked with I know of no one that frequents restaurants during the lunchtime (many people only get between 30 and 45 minutes nowadays). Only people I know are company owners, high management and councillors!!!
are these people going to be part of the 20,000 town centre workers that Clifford "3 Jobs" Morris was going on about when he says that teh town centre isn't a mess?? The owner of Olympus Chippy says it right when he states as to whats wrong with the town - but will the councillors listen. The owner of Beales said the same a few months ago, so did the owner of the now closed Sweetens bookshop, and many of the towns voters. If all these people can see what is actually wrong with the town, then, howcome, our great elected councillors cannot see it??? One final point of all office workers I know and worked with I know of no one that frequents restaurants during the lunchtime (many people only get between 30 and 45 minutes nowadays). Only people I know are company owners, high management and councillors!!! BWFC71
  • Score: 0

12:19pm Tue 1 Jan 13

Rocket_Scientist says...

This is a case of too little too late to fix the town centre I am afraid; this story does however feel timed right and is a great piece of spin by our elected representatives once again. It is for sure that some councillor somewhere will have his fingers in the 'pie' excuse the pun!!
This is a case of too little too late to fix the town centre I am afraid; this story does however feel timed right and is a great piece of spin by our elected representatives once again. It is for sure that some councillor somewhere will have his fingers in the 'pie' excuse the pun!! Rocket_Scientist
  • Score: 0

12:38pm Tue 1 Jan 13

johnkerfoot says...

thetrotter wrote:
How much does mr Harriss get paid to come up with rich data like this!

I just hope that we the council taxpayers won't be expected to pay additional travel expenses to the employees brought back into the town hall. Finally, keep this bit under your hat but I have it on good authority that the council workers, unless they get a meal allowance, will be bringing pack lunches with them due to the current economic conditions.

Sean Harris & Cliff Morris the modern day Laurel & Hardy, only an unfunny version.
The main thoroughfare,Newport Street,does not inspire anybody from Bolton,Pound Shops. Charity Shops,Betting Shops,this is the face of the Town Centre,and don't forget the litter,and Charities Gangs who ambush you,you want to try and get out a bit more Councillor Morris,and see the real world. John M Kerfoot-Westhoughton
.
[quote][p][bold]thetrotter[/bold] wrote: How much does mr Harriss get paid to come up with rich data like this! I just hope that we the council taxpayers won't be expected to pay additional travel expenses to the employees brought back into the town hall. Finally, keep this bit under your hat but I have it on good authority that the council workers, unless they get a meal allowance, will be bringing pack lunches with them due to the current economic conditions. Sean Harris & Cliff Morris the modern day Laurel & Hardy, only an unfunny version.[/p][/quote]The main thoroughfare,Newport Street,does not inspire anybody from Bolton,Pound Shops. Charity Shops,Betting Shops,this is the face of the Town Centre,and don't forget the litter,and Charities Gangs who ambush you,you want to try and get out a bit more Councillor Morris,and see the real world. John M Kerfoot-Westhoughton . johnkerfoot
  • Score: 0

12:59pm Tue 1 Jan 13

Andy Higham says...

I have never heard so much **** in my life, I had to check it was not April 1st. Surely Mr Harris doesn't believe that a handful of council employees will provide business for a restaurant.
Or are these council employees so over paid and under worked that they can afford a restaurant meal every lunchtime and have a long enough lunch break to eat it in. Presumably then no work will be done in the afternoon due to the food and wine at lunchtime
I have never heard so much **** in my life, I had to check it was not April 1st. Surely Mr Harris doesn't believe that a handful of council employees will provide business for a restaurant. Or are these council employees so over paid and under worked that they can afford a restaurant meal every lunchtime and have a long enough lunch break to eat it in. Presumably then no work will be done in the afternoon due to the food and wine at lunchtime Andy Higham
  • Score: 0

1:19pm Tue 1 Jan 13

steveG says...

Will all the accountants,solicito
rs and other professionals sent to the Reebok be shipped back in?.
Will all the accountants,solicito rs and other professionals sent to the Reebok be shipped back in?. steveG
  • Score: 0

1:35pm Tue 1 Jan 13

Boltonresident2012 says...

When I worked for the council meals out used to be for birthdays, Xmas and that was it - even leaving do's consisted of a communal spread in one of the offices.

If ordinary workers can now afford meals out in restaurants daytime during the week then I want my job back!

Ok, if flexitime is still around a longer lunchtime could be possible, however there are few places that offer cheap lunchtime deals, and there are other things that need the money.

it will boost trade for Greggs and so on though :)
When I worked for the council meals out used to be for birthdays, Xmas and that was it - even leaving do's consisted of a communal spread in one of the offices. If ordinary workers can now afford meals out in restaurants daytime during the week then I want my job back! Ok, if flexitime is still around a longer lunchtime could be possible, however there are few places that offer cheap lunchtime deals, and there are other things that need the money. it will boost trade for Greggs and so on though :) Boltonresident2012
  • Score: 0

1:37pm Tue 1 Jan 13

grimtown says...

Ther be no eating out the staff will be on diets. due to financial Hard ship brought on by the parking charges. The congestion caused by the extra traffic flow will be horrendous.
Ther be no eating out the staff will be on diets. due to financial Hard ship brought on by the parking charges. The congestion caused by the extra traffic flow will be horrendous. grimtown
  • Score: 0

1:38pm Tue 1 Jan 13

boltonnut says...

I agree with thetrotter,a comedy of unfunny errors.Get rid of Harriss and Morris, use their inflated salaries & pensions to treat REAL workers to lunch,that would keep the restaurants busy for a long long time.
I agree with thetrotter,a comedy of unfunny errors.Get rid of Harriss and Morris, use their inflated salaries & pensions to treat REAL workers to lunch,that would keep the restaurants busy for a long long time. boltonnut
  • Score: 0

1:44pm Tue 1 Jan 13

Beyond News Forum says...

Seriously now, what is wrong with our ever so humble council?

It is honestly like they live in an alternative Bolton, a Bolton brimming full of shoppers and plentiful big name stores. In the councils Bolton there are NO wall to wall pound shops, budget food outlets and unbroken paving stones.

Bolton needs pulling down and starting again, it is as simple as that. Every thoroughfare into the town is blighted by unsightly buildings that are dilapidated, crumbling and basically on there last legs. It would be cheaper to bring them down and create viable sites for new build ventures.

40 million is about to be spent on a dead duck in what is the new public transport terminal. Are you KIDDING ME 40 million? This is a figure put forward by a council that builds a bridge smack bang in the middle of sh*tsville on Newport Street that should have cost nearer the figure given which was 1 million but is still costing the council money because the design is flawed.

The same council (it does not matter which party) that has ruined this town with making every single part of coming to town, enjoying ones self and shopping as difficult as possible for shoppers.

Hand up all those who would spend good money on parking to visit poundshops and woopiedoo BHS? And then have to spend the next hour rushing round the few decent stores to avoid the parking Nazi's?

I'm not on a bad wage myself but I cannot afford to be sipping coffee everyday and kicking back with a plateful of steak and chips every day in one of the OH SO AMAZEBALLS restaurants in Bolton. I'm not knocking the restaurants in Bolton, but they are not exactly like the ones at Middlebrook or the decent out of town eateries in Manchester. Besides many of our out of town pubs need more support, these places are often much better value for money and far more relaxed then in the town center.

I too wish to move to this alternative Bolton that is being branded about... where is it?
Seriously now, what is wrong with our ever so humble council? It is honestly like they live in an alternative Bolton, a Bolton brimming full of shoppers and plentiful big name stores. In the councils Bolton there are NO wall to wall pound shops, budget food outlets and unbroken paving stones. Bolton needs pulling down and starting again, it is as simple as that. Every thoroughfare into the town is blighted by unsightly buildings that are dilapidated, crumbling and basically on there last legs. It would be cheaper to bring them down and create viable sites for new build ventures. 40 million is about to be spent on a dead duck in what is the new public transport terminal. Are you KIDDING ME 40 million? This is a figure put forward by a council that builds a bridge smack bang in the middle of sh*tsville on Newport Street that should have cost nearer the figure given which was 1 million but is still costing the council money because the design is flawed. The same council (it does not matter which party) that has ruined this town with making every single part of coming to town, enjoying ones self and shopping as difficult as possible for shoppers. Hand up all those who would spend good money on parking to visit poundshops and woopiedoo BHS? And then have to spend the next hour rushing round the few decent stores to avoid the parking Nazi's? I'm not on a bad wage myself but I cannot afford to be sipping coffee everyday and kicking back with a plateful of steak and chips every day in one of the OH SO AMAZEBALLS restaurants in Bolton. I'm not knocking the restaurants in Bolton, but they are not exactly like the ones at Middlebrook or the decent out of town eateries in Manchester. Besides many of our out of town pubs need more support, these places are often much better value for money and far more relaxed then in the town center. I too wish to move to this alternative Bolton that is being branded about... where is it? Beyond News Forum
  • Score: 0

1:47pm Tue 1 Jan 13

rostron says...

Another gem to getting good money for stupid ideas !
My question is, if they are being relocated in the Town Hall, how much is it costing to get these rooms ready for the workers? eg, internet access, extra toilets, etc.
They must have paid out to equip the places already being used, now they have to pay again to re-quip these rooms.! Where next yr,? Please resign, my grandaughter aged 9 can think better than you lot !
Another gem to getting good money for stupid ideas ! My question is, if they are being relocated in the Town Hall, how much is it costing to get these rooms ready for the workers? eg, internet access, extra toilets, etc. They must have paid out to equip the places already being used, now they have to pay again to re-quip these rooms.! Where next yr,? Please resign, my grandaughter aged 9 can think better than you lot ! rostron
  • Score: 0

2:02pm Tue 1 Jan 13

grimtown says...

NCP WILL BE PLEASED
NCP WILL BE PLEASED grimtown
  • Score: 0

2:02pm Tue 1 Jan 13

grimtown says...

NCP WILL BE PLEASED
NCP WILL BE PLEASED grimtown
  • Score: 0

3:02pm Tue 1 Jan 13

Fizz18 says...

Unbelievable Mr Harriss....... you reallly do not know the staff you employ....
Unbelievable Mr Harriss....... you reallly do not know the staff you employ.... Fizz18
  • Score: 0

3:09pm Tue 1 Jan 13

Mike23 says...

Clearly, either the journalists reporting this are inept, or is it all public officials have no idea of what is going on?

Recession - defined as a period of economic negativity resulting in loss of tangible output/value.

Restaurant - place of luxury, where people spend money to be wined & dined.

So, one of the Council Exec smacked his head whilst sitting on the toilet, "Lets bring all the staff to a central point, send them out into Bolton and put bums on seats in local restaurants"

Yes, a good move, but I would luv to have a detailed survey of where staff actually do go for their lunch!
Clearly, either the journalists reporting this are inept, or is it all public officials have no idea of what is going on? Recession - defined as a period of economic negativity resulting in loss of tangible output/value. Restaurant - place of luxury, where people spend money to be wined & dined. So, one of the Council Exec smacked his head whilst sitting on the toilet, "Lets bring all the staff to a central point, send them out into Bolton and put bums on seats in local restaurants" Yes, a good move, but I would luv to have a detailed survey of where staff actually do go for their lunch! Mike23
  • Score: 0

3:44pm Tue 1 Jan 13

Rememberscarborough says...

I think you'll find the likes of McDonalds are classied as restaurants although my missus wouldn't be happy if we "celebrated" our anniversary there....
I think you'll find the likes of McDonalds are classied as restaurants although my missus wouldn't be happy if we "celebrated" our anniversary there.... Rememberscarborough
  • Score: 0

4:07pm Tue 1 Jan 13

oftbewildered2 says...

I take it from this gem that the Council is planning to close the staff restaurant situated within the Town Hall?
I take it from this gem that the Council is planning to close the staff restaurant situated within the Town Hall? oftbewildered2
  • Score: 0

4:11pm Tue 1 Jan 13

SmoggyDiasboro says...

I think there'll be one less council employee able to spend £25 on a good lunch (perhaps with a cheeky little claret) when £180,000 per year Chief Executive, Sean Harriss, comes to read what has been issued as a press release (probably when he returns from his hard earned midwinter break in the West Indies) in his name. In concept he's correct, Bolton Town Centre WILL improve when there's a mixture of offices, retail and leisure outlets: when people start to appreciate what they are losing by allowing continuous out of town development with unlimited free parking. Maybe those three words may give the Council a hint about how to start to reverse the trend
I think there'll be one less council employee able to spend £25 on a good lunch (perhaps with a cheeky little claret) when £180,000 per year Chief Executive, Sean Harriss, comes to read what has been issued as a press release (probably when he returns from his hard earned midwinter break in the West Indies) in his name. In concept he's correct, Bolton Town Centre WILL improve when there's a mixture of offices, retail and leisure outlets: when people start to appreciate what they are losing by allowing continuous out of town development with unlimited free parking. Maybe those three words may give the Council a hint about how to start to reverse the trend SmoggyDiasboro
  • Score: 0

4:51pm Tue 1 Jan 13

Boltonresident2012 says...

Wouldn't it make more financial sense to move all the staff OUT of town, sell/lease the town centre premises?
Wouldn't it make more financial sense to move all the staff OUT of town, sell/lease the town centre premises? Boltonresident2012
  • Score: 0

5:07pm Tue 1 Jan 13

bwfc0210 says...

As an employee, if only I had enough time, no such thing as a lunch "hour" these days, never mind the cost. Most people have packed lunches at their desk.
As an employee, if only I had enough time, no such thing as a lunch "hour" these days, never mind the cost. Most people have packed lunches at their desk. bwfc0210
  • Score: 0

5:17pm Tue 1 Jan 13

grimtown says...

The average spend on lunch is £4.

These executives are living in a different world to most hard working employees. It is evident how out of touch the executives at BMC are with the real world they haven't got a clue about disposable income.

Bolton businesses are doomed while these idiots proside offer the rubble that is the town centre.
The average spend on lunch is £4. These executives are living in a different world to most hard working employees. It is evident how out of touch the executives at BMC are with the real world they haven't got a clue about disposable income. Bolton businesses are doomed while these idiots proside offer the rubble that is the town centre. grimtown
  • Score: 0

5:43pm Tue 1 Jan 13

aardwolf says...

Harriss actually has a good idea for a change. In common with most staff town hall workers can take between 30 minutes and an hour. Some have a packed lunches, some don't, perhaps when they aren't spending their own money on stationery and tools for the job that the town hall should provide then they may even go to a restaurant on special occasions (shock horror don't tell the Daily Mail!). Nobody gets travel expenses for travelling to their normal place of work (ask the inland revenue!). White collar town hall workers get paid around 25 to 40 percent less than private industry in return for what used to be better job security.The town hall can't be sold that is a silly idea. Finally the Uk isn't in recession. Just think how brief the comments would be on this page if people actually dealt with facts rather than prejudices, half-truths and fairy tales.
Harriss actually has a good idea for a change. In common with most staff town hall workers can take between 30 minutes and an hour. Some have a packed lunches, some don't, perhaps when they aren't spending their own money on stationery and tools for the job that the town hall should provide then they may even go to a restaurant on special occasions (shock horror don't tell the Daily Mail!). Nobody gets travel expenses for travelling to their normal place of work (ask the inland revenue!). White collar town hall workers get paid around 25 to 40 percent less than private industry in return for what used to be better job security.The town hall can't be sold that is a silly idea. Finally the Uk isn't in recession. Just think how brief the comments would be on this page if people actually dealt with facts rather than prejudices, half-truths and fairy tales. aardwolf
  • Score: 0

5:47pm Tue 1 Jan 13

grimtown says...

Other council leaders have expressed their frustration at restaurateurs who visited the town for the popular annual Food and Drink Festival but have not “put their money where their mouth is” when they praised Bolton and did not set up shop in the town.


hers you answer Mr Morris

People come to my restaurant from all over, they come from London and say how amazing the restaurant is, and I could have done a lot better for myself had I left Bolton but it’s my home.
Other council leaders have expressed their frustration at restaurateurs who visited the town for the popular annual Food and Drink Festival but have not “put their money where their mouth is” when they praised Bolton and did not set up shop in the town. hers you answer Mr Morris People come to my restaurant from all over, they come from London and say how amazing the restaurant is, and I could have done a lot better for myself had I left Bolton but it’s my home. grimtown
  • Score: 0

5:58pm Tue 1 Jan 13

grimtown says...

La Tasca gone
Olives gone
Tigis gone
Noble House gone
Buffet King gone

Sean Cliff now these businesses have vacanted Bolton because its on the skids you have no chance of reviving Bolton until you clean up the look of the town,

You now need rate free premises for business locating here.

Move out of the crescent have urban splash develop it, build the new £10 million pound college on newport street it needs knocking down and adds no architectual value to the town.

Sell the town hall to a hotel gain and build your offices on the Manchester road college site.

job done
La Tasca gone Olives gone Tigis gone Noble House gone Buffet King gone Sean Cliff now these businesses have vacanted Bolton because its on the skids you have no chance of reviving Bolton until you clean up the look of the town, You now need rate free premises for business locating here. Move out of the crescent have urban splash develop it, build the new £10 million pound college on newport street it needs knocking down and adds no architectual value to the town. Sell the town hall to a hotel gain and build your offices on the Manchester road college site. job done grimtown
  • Score: 0

7:24pm Tue 1 Jan 13

Citizen Cane says...

...paid 25-40% less than in private industry. That doesn't stack-up and neither does it take into account absenteeism, cushy pensions and an optional work ethic.

Until this council takes steps to encourage proper business to establish themselves in Bolton, the only way is down and out. But then councils are designed only to waste money rather than spend it wisely and preferably generate efficiencies.
...paid 25-40% less than in private industry. That doesn't stack-up and neither does it take into account absenteeism, cushy pensions and an optional work ethic. Until this council takes steps to encourage proper business to establish themselves in Bolton, the only way is down and out. But then councils are designed only to waste money rather than spend it wisely and preferably generate efficiencies. Citizen Cane
  • Score: 0

8:02pm Tue 1 Jan 13

Joesixpack says...

Bolton town centre at night is a vision of hell. Who would set up a decent restaurant there? As usual, our sad excuse for a council is clueless.
Bolton town centre at night is a vision of hell. Who would set up a decent restaurant there? As usual, our sad excuse for a council is clueless. Joesixpack
  • Score: 0

8:06pm Tue 1 Jan 13

Bert_Anchovy says...

So this idiot is paid 180k to come up with crap like this!!

What arrogance, it's all right for him and lardy morris to stuff their faces on £10.00 lunches everyday.


If I was one these employees I would start taking butties to work, and start a pack lunch club.

What arrogance,
So this idiot is paid 180k to come up with crap like this!! What arrogance, it's all right for him and lardy morris to stuff their faces on £10.00 lunches everyday. If I was one these employees I would start taking butties to work, and start a pack lunch club. What arrogance, Bert_Anchovy
  • Score: 0

8:14pm Tue 1 Jan 13

Beyond News Forum says...

aardwolf wrote:
Harriss actually has a good idea for a change. In common with most staff town hall workers can take between 30 minutes and an hour. Some have a packed lunches, some don't, perhaps when they aren't spending their own money on stationery and tools for the job that the town hall should provide then they may even go to a restaurant on special occasions (shock horror don't tell the Daily Mail!). Nobody gets travel expenses for travelling to their normal place of work (ask the inland revenue!). White collar town hall workers get paid around 25 to 40 percent less than private industry in return for what used to be better job security.The town hall can't be sold that is a silly idea. Finally the Uk isn't in recession. Just think how brief the comments would be on this page if people actually dealt with facts rather than prejudices, half-truths and fairy tales.
Shill... obviously.

Nobody said the UK was in recession, it is the fake economic crisis that is being coined as a trivial reason for non-spending entities in the town center. Clearly there is no such economic hardship in the wards of Wigan, Bury and Chorley.

I could go to town on this report (pardon the pun) and provide documented evidence from the said towns on Youtube.

Fact - Bolton is dying

Fact - Bolton is an eyesore

Fact - Jobs are being created out of town and currently not in town. Re: Various expansion plans at guess where? Middlebrook!

Fact - Town is full of charity leaches, pawn shops, paycheck loans services, pound stores and a half baked attempt at a swimming pool at Bolton One.

Fact - Disposable income is of a negative or a minimum even for council workers whom I will say in all honesty don't take home as much pay as people think they do... so restaurant eating should be out of the question as it is for the many... which incidentally is WHY; FACT - Town center restaurants have been shutting down recently.

Now unless these dinner tickets are claimed back on the council expenses package then I see this report as a dead horse being flogged all the way to the glue factory.

Where on earth do you get the idea that the town hall is unsellable? Any property has a sale price to the right buyer and the right consortium.

Half-truths? Your comment is full of them!
[quote][p][bold]aardwolf[/bold] wrote: Harriss actually has a good idea for a change. In common with most staff town hall workers can take between 30 minutes and an hour. Some have a packed lunches, some don't, perhaps when they aren't spending their own money on stationery and tools for the job that the town hall should provide then they may even go to a restaurant on special occasions (shock horror don't tell the Daily Mail!). Nobody gets travel expenses for travelling to their normal place of work (ask the inland revenue!). White collar town hall workers get paid around 25 to 40 percent less than private industry in return for what used to be better job security.The town hall can't be sold that is a silly idea. Finally the Uk isn't in recession. Just think how brief the comments would be on this page if people actually dealt with facts rather than prejudices, half-truths and fairy tales.[/p][/quote]Shill... obviously. Nobody said the UK was in recession, it is the fake economic crisis that is being coined as a trivial reason for non-spending entities in the town center. Clearly there is no such economic hardship in the wards of Wigan, Bury and Chorley. I could go to town on this report (pardon the pun) and provide documented evidence from the said towns on Youtube. Fact - Bolton is dying Fact - Bolton is an eyesore Fact - Jobs are being created out of town and currently not in town. Re: Various expansion plans at guess where? Middlebrook! Fact - Town is full of charity leaches, pawn shops, paycheck loans services, pound stores and a half baked attempt at a swimming pool at Bolton One. Fact - Disposable income is of a negative or a minimum even for council workers whom I will say in all honesty don't take home as much pay as people think they do... so restaurant eating should be out of the question as it is for the many... which incidentally is WHY; FACT - Town center restaurants have been shutting down recently. Now unless these dinner tickets are claimed back on the council expenses package then I see this report as a dead horse being flogged all the way to the glue factory. Where on earth do you get the idea that the town hall is unsellable? Any property has a sale price to the right buyer and the right consortium. Half-truths? Your comment is full of them! Beyond News Forum
  • Score: 0

8:59pm Tue 1 Jan 13

aardwolf says...

Beyond News Forum
Erm... where to start...
the commentators above mention recession and I responded to that. The town is dying and putting more workers in the centre will inevitably mean more cash circulating which may prevent places closing, it's not a hard concept to understand. I earn 40-50% more in the private sector doing the same job as I did at the council. Finally the thought that the town hall could be sold and converted to a hotel or whatever demonstrates a laughable lack of economic sense and unawareness of what a listed building is. Half-truths? Nope - facts gained from experience coupled with a superior intellect.
Beyond News Forum Erm... where to start... the commentators above mention recession and I responded to that. The town is dying and putting more workers in the centre will inevitably mean more cash circulating which may prevent places closing, it's not a hard concept to understand. I earn 40-50% more in the private sector doing the same job as I did at the council. Finally the thought that the town hall could be sold and converted to a hotel or whatever demonstrates a laughable lack of economic sense and unawareness of what a listed building is. Half-truths? Nope - facts gained from experience coupled with a superior intellect. aardwolf
  • Score: 0

11:29pm Tue 1 Jan 13

Daisyhillbilly says...

Yet another press release that more than likely hides another reason for moving staff Maybe the buildings that are supposed to close to fund the refurb of the town hall are not closing at all ?? leaving a lot of empty desk space in the town centre As for the staff, with their travel expenses taken care of for the next 4 years after being relocated they will be at least able to afford an extra pasty or two.
Yet another press release that more than likely hides another reason for moving staff Maybe the buildings that are supposed to close to fund the refurb of the town hall are not closing at all ?? leaving a lot of empty desk space in the town centre As for the staff, with their travel expenses taken care of for the next 4 years after being relocated they will be at least able to afford an extra pasty or two. Daisyhillbilly
  • Score: 0

6:07am Wed 2 Jan 13

oftbewildered2 says...

Boltonresident2012 wrote:
Wouldn't it make more financial sense to move all the staff OUT of town, sell/lease the town centre premises?
I thought that was happening wiht Wellsprings, Howell Croft, L Mans Crescent etc. However, the Town Hall needs to ke kept intact as each Department interacts with the other in order to operate and residents would not take kindly to having to trail to outer areas of Bolton in order to conduct their business.
[quote][p][bold]Boltonresident2012[/bold] wrote: Wouldn't it make more financial sense to move all the staff OUT of town, sell/lease the town centre premises?[/p][/quote]I thought that was happening wiht Wellsprings, Howell Croft, L Mans Crescent etc. However, the Town Hall needs to ke kept intact as each Department interacts with the other in order to operate and residents would not take kindly to having to trail to outer areas of Bolton in order to conduct their business. oftbewildered2
  • Score: 0

9:05am Wed 2 Jan 13

exiled says...

That's more evidence of Labour politicians having no idea what it takes to organise an economy. National or local.
That's more evidence of Labour politicians having no idea what it takes to organise an economy. National or local. exiled
  • Score: 0

9:10am Wed 2 Jan 13

Boltonresident2012 says...

oftbewildered2 wrote:
Boltonresident2012 wrote:
Wouldn't it make more financial sense to move all the staff OUT of town, sell/lease the town centre premises?
I thought that was happening wiht Wellsprings, Howell Croft, L Mans Crescent etc. However, the Town Hall needs to ke kept intact as each Department interacts with the other in order to operate and residents would not take kindly to having to trail to outer areas of Bolton in order to conduct their business.
true, however since the one stop shop most of the contact is through that.

do all the admin, accounts and so on still need to be in the town centre?
[quote][p][bold]oftbewildered2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Boltonresident2012[/bold] wrote: Wouldn't it make more financial sense to move all the staff OUT of town, sell/lease the town centre premises?[/p][/quote]I thought that was happening wiht Wellsprings, Howell Croft, L Mans Crescent etc. However, the Town Hall needs to ke kept intact as each Department interacts with the other in order to operate and residents would not take kindly to having to trail to outer areas of Bolton in order to conduct their business.[/p][/quote]true, however since the one stop shop most of the contact is through that. do all the admin, accounts and so on still need to be in the town centre? Boltonresident2012
  • Score: 0

9:47am Wed 2 Jan 13

BWFC71 says...

aardwolf wrote:
Beyond News Forum
Erm... where to start...
the commentators above mention recession and I responded to that. The town is dying and putting more workers in the centre will inevitably mean more cash circulating which may prevent places closing, it's not a hard concept to understand. I earn 40-50% more in the private sector doing the same job as I did at the council. Finally the thought that the town hall could be sold and converted to a hotel or whatever demonstrates a laughable lack of economic sense and unawareness of what a listed building is. Half-truths? Nope - facts gained from experience coupled with a superior intellect.
Working in the town centre does not mean that people will shop in the town centre. Too many shops and now since closed to help keep money in the centre. No Burtons, No Top Shop, very few independent shops left, Beales very close to leaving. I don't know about you but I only get between 30 and 45 minutes for lunch - that usually means a sandwich shop or something from Greggs and no time to have a look around the shops (due to the queues in either said Sandwich shops or Greggs!!!) Also due to bus times and shop closiong times there is no time to go shopping after work, either!!! Therefore meaning people in the town centre automtically does NOT mean that more money will be circulated in the centre amongst other shops!!!

The Town Hall could be sold off and move the front-line "help-desks" to smaller premises in the town centre whilst all the other administrative departments and councillor offices could move out of town centre to cheaper and more modern premises. It has been done before, in Bolton. Have you forgotten about Little Bolton Town Hall and Great Bolton Town Hall???

Therefore a superior intellect sometimes does not account for common sense and reality!
[quote][p][bold]aardwolf[/bold] wrote: Beyond News Forum Erm... where to start... the commentators above mention recession and I responded to that. The town is dying and putting more workers in the centre will inevitably mean more cash circulating which may prevent places closing, it's not a hard concept to understand. I earn 40-50% more in the private sector doing the same job as I did at the council. Finally the thought that the town hall could be sold and converted to a hotel or whatever demonstrates a laughable lack of economic sense and unawareness of what a listed building is. Half-truths? Nope - facts gained from experience coupled with a superior intellect.[/p][/quote]Working in the town centre does not mean that people will shop in the town centre. Too many shops and now since closed to help keep money in the centre. No Burtons, No Top Shop, very few independent shops left, Beales very close to leaving. I don't know about you but I only get between 30 and 45 minutes for lunch - that usually means a sandwich shop or something from Greggs and no time to have a look around the shops (due to the queues in either said Sandwich shops or Greggs!!!) Also due to bus times and shop closiong times there is no time to go shopping after work, either!!! Therefore meaning people in the town centre automtically does NOT mean that more money will be circulated in the centre amongst other shops!!! The Town Hall could be sold off and move the front-line "help-desks" to smaller premises in the town centre whilst all the other administrative departments and councillor offices could move out of town centre to cheaper and more modern premises. It has been done before, in Bolton. Have you forgotten about Little Bolton Town Hall and Great Bolton Town Hall??? Therefore a superior intellect sometimes does not account for common sense and reality! BWFC71
  • Score: 0

9:53am Wed 2 Jan 13

aardwolf says...

sweet lord.
The staff are being moved back into the town centre because council owned town centre property cannot be leased to anyone else due to both legalities and economic fact (the Business Rates alone on a property like the town hall would preclude that). If you can nip out to Greggs then so can the relocated people. Shops open late these days and the last bus is after those closing times. Increased footfall means increased spending. It's not hard.
sweet lord. The staff are being moved back into the town centre because council owned town centre property cannot be leased to anyone else due to both legalities and economic fact (the Business Rates alone on a property like the town hall would preclude that). If you can nip out to Greggs then so can the relocated people. Shops open late these days and the last bus is after those closing times. Increased footfall means increased spending. It's not hard. aardwolf
  • Score: 0

10:26am Wed 2 Jan 13

BWFC71 says...

Sweet Lord to yourself......

What legalities hold back from selling off council property...... Land which the Water Place was on (which was council owned) SOLD; other bits of council land has also been sold off in the last 20-25 years. The Bolton News now currently operate from Council property!!!! The old school on Higher Bridge Street knowcked down and land sold off and that was council property. The olf Bolton College was owned by Bolton Council and has been sold off, How many libraries have closed and buildings either sold off in the process of being sold - again all council owned. Present bus station the land is council owned and is earmarked to be sold off when the new bus station opens in a few years time. Market Hall was council owned and it was sold to a private developer who extended The Market Place. So I see no problem whatsoever in selling Council property!!!

This is Bolton and not Manchester. Shops in Bolton close between 5 and 6pm!!! Shops in Manchester close aroun 8pm!!! Late night shopping in Bolton used to be on Thursdays when shops used to open until 9pm - many now close at normal time!!!!

Last buses are much earlier than you think. Last buses to Ringley, Barrow Bridge, Darcy Lever, Edgworth, Markland Hill, parts of Ladybridge, Morris Green, Claypool Estate, all leave between 5pm and 530pm!!! Daytime services on most other routes finish around 530pm and then evening services start between 630 and 7pm - over an hours wait!!!! After work would you really want to stay artound in Bolton town Centre waiting for a bus. If you suggest a car, then think of the added expensditure of parking copsts and thus reducing the number of parking spaces for so-called casual shoppers who go in by car!!!!!

Also, increased number of workers in the town also means longer queues for the sandwich shops and Greggs etc which may mean more money/profit for them. but even shorter lunchtimes for everyone because of the extra waiting time.

As I say its not hard to see the reality.
Sweet Lord to yourself...... What legalities hold back from selling off council property...... Land which the Water Place was on (which was council owned) SOLD; other bits of council land has also been sold off in the last 20-25 years. The Bolton News now currently operate from Council property!!!! The old school on Higher Bridge Street knowcked down and land sold off and that was council property. The olf Bolton College was owned by Bolton Council and has been sold off, How many libraries have closed and buildings either sold off in the process of being sold - again all council owned. Present bus station the land is council owned and is earmarked to be sold off when the new bus station opens in a few years time. Market Hall was council owned and it was sold to a private developer who extended The Market Place. So I see no problem whatsoever in selling Council property!!! This is Bolton and not Manchester. Shops in Bolton close between 5 and 6pm!!! Shops in Manchester close aroun 8pm!!! Late night shopping in Bolton used to be on Thursdays when shops used to open until 9pm - many now close at normal time!!!! Last buses are much earlier than you think. Last buses to Ringley, Barrow Bridge, Darcy Lever, Edgworth, Markland Hill, parts of Ladybridge, Morris Green, Claypool Estate, all leave between 5pm and 530pm!!! Daytime services on most other routes finish around 530pm and then evening services start between 630 and 7pm - over an hours wait!!!! After work would you really want to stay artound in Bolton town Centre waiting for a bus. If you suggest a car, then think of the added expensditure of parking copsts and thus reducing the number of parking spaces for so-called casual shoppers who go in by car!!!!! Also, increased number of workers in the town also means longer queues for the sandwich shops and Greggs etc which may mean more money/profit for them. but even shorter lunchtimes for everyone because of the extra waiting time. As I say its not hard to see the reality. BWFC71
  • Score: 0

10:42am Wed 2 Jan 13

Boltonresident2012 says...

There did not seem to be any problem with change of use when the Cultural Centre idea was talked about for Le Mans?
There did not seem to be any problem with change of use when the Cultural Centre idea was talked about for Le Mans? Boltonresident2012
  • Score: 0

12:56pm Wed 2 Jan 13

aardwolf says...

I stand corrected. Opening times have indeed been reduced to 5-5.30.
Although the council is stupidly selling off the family silver like a junkie inheriting his grandfather's pocket watch for a quick fix the point remains that the town hall is a II* listed building. No company on earth would buy it even if the more deluded councillors wanted it sold due to the expense of both obtaining planning consent and the RV of the most central building in Bolton. After all the rest of the council owned property is sold then what? The government will be squeezing the council for the next 10 years yet all the 'disposable' assets will have gone.
At least it is agreed that increased footfall will mean increased trade. Increased trade should mean more likelihood that Business rates are paid which although are currently collected for central government are o be handed over to local government shortly. A win for everyone. Well kind of.
I stand corrected. Opening times have indeed been reduced to 5-5.30. Although the council is stupidly selling off the family silver like a junkie inheriting his grandfather's pocket watch for a quick fix the point remains that the town hall is a II* listed building. No company on earth would buy it even if the more deluded councillors wanted it sold due to the expense of both obtaining planning consent and the RV of the most central building in Bolton. After all the rest of the council owned property is sold then what? The government will be squeezing the council for the next 10 years yet all the 'disposable' assets will have gone. At least it is agreed that increased footfall will mean increased trade. Increased trade should mean more likelihood that Business rates are paid which although are currently collected for central government are o be handed over to local government shortly. A win for everyone. Well kind of. aardwolf
  • Score: 0

3:03pm Wed 2 Jan 13

Beyond News Forum says...

aardwolf wrote:
Beyond News Forum
Erm... where to start...
the commentators above mention recession and I responded to that. The town is dying and putting more workers in the centre will inevitably mean more cash circulating which may prevent places closing, it's not a hard concept to understand. I earn 40-50% more in the private sector doing the same job as I did at the council. Finally the thought that the town hall could be sold and converted to a hotel or whatever demonstrates a laughable lack of economic sense and unawareness of what a listed building is. Half-truths? Nope - facts gained from experience coupled with a superior intellect.
You really thing sticking a few council workers into the town center is going to push out a boat full of cash? I applaud your humor on the issue, but in all seriousness even if just 20% of those bought a meal every week, and 2% everyday restaurants will still be unable to trade in the town center. The statement itself is ridiculous. It is based on a very speculative principle that these people will go to a restaurant in the town center.

Just because the building is listed does not mean that the building cannot be sold. This has been proved time and time again.

It is a misconception to think that bringing council workers on pay very much similar to that of someone who works in an out of council job will do anything dissimilar to those who do not work at the council. It is a simple plain FACT that people are trotting off out of town to shop. Do the council have differing tastes to those who do not work in the council? I think not.

Now unless there will be some type of meal deal scheme that is cheaper than the well pushed schemes of 'pack lunch clubs' then I foresee another glorious council disaster... I already smell the undertones of BS filtering through.

I am not trying to be ignorant to what you are trying to say, but the thought that your superior intellect has evolved from experience in such ways I can only suggest that for the next term in your life you pay a little more attention to the details around you and what is actually going on in the world and not just in Bolton.

In my experience having traveled to war-torn countries and affluent areas such as North Dakota in the USA as an example, I can tell you that Bolton is screwed internally and externally.

This is not just about the ability to spend cash in the TC, this is about funding, zoning, demographics, culture, social behavior, technology, architecture... and a whole raft of concepts that have been shunned by tptb in the Town Hall.

The problems in Bolton lay much deeper than simple artificial attempts at inflating a dying town center. If for one moment you think a few people sitting eating a hearty meal in restaurants in the TC is going to be the be all and end all to the problems of the TC then you have been fooled by your many years of experience... and the council.

No you see the problem is this... we are still pandering to Europe, something that cannot be undone because what a lot of people do not realize is that the English are one of the founding members of the stupid European Courts... so we cannot run away from it.

Next: The country is spending tens of million a day on wars that we have no place being in... this also sees a great amount of interest added to the bill.

Oh you people are only to happy to sit at home and watch someone else suffer poverty in what is supposed to be one of the richest societies in the world, but you will not stand up and demonstrate against the wars and money spent on such that are partially causing this problem of boom bust towns.

We have a screwed up NHS, screwed up economy, screwed up education system, businesses are getting screwed... all of which could have been sorted out from funding town and city projects instead of pumping the money out abroad or into war.

I could harp on all day in regard to the dross that is being fed to the people of Bolton... I for one am not completely stupid, I have my moments but I am not going to ever listen to some **** in a whistle and flute who is more interested in his bank balance than the public he is supposed to care about... which is obvious to me he is not.

Yes there are a lot of people on this board who may not have much in the way of economic sense or education... again this states something about how society has been allowed to become removed from political science by the government. Jeez do you people not realize that education, true education is for a privileged few. The government have continually made education of the masses difficult and within a spectrum that keeps power with power and the stupid man stupid.

I think I have said enough here to at least make a few people think a little bit higher up the chain than a few favored restaurants...
[quote][p][bold]aardwolf[/bold] wrote: Beyond News Forum Erm... where to start... the commentators above mention recession and I responded to that. The town is dying and putting more workers in the centre will inevitably mean more cash circulating which may prevent places closing, it's not a hard concept to understand. I earn 40-50% more in the private sector doing the same job as I did at the council. Finally the thought that the town hall could be sold and converted to a hotel or whatever demonstrates a laughable lack of economic sense and unawareness of what a listed building is. Half-truths? Nope - facts gained from experience coupled with a superior intellect.[/p][/quote]You really thing sticking a few council workers into the town center is going to push out a boat full of cash? I applaud your humor on the issue, but in all seriousness even if just 20% of those bought a meal every week, and 2% everyday restaurants will still be unable to trade in the town center. The statement itself is ridiculous. It is based on a very speculative principle that these people will go to a restaurant in the town center. Just because the building is listed does not mean that the building cannot be sold. This has been proved time and time again. It is a misconception to think that bringing council workers on pay very much similar to that of someone who works in an out of council job will do anything dissimilar to those who do not work at the council. It is a simple plain FACT that people are trotting off out of town to shop. Do the council have differing tastes to those who do not work in the council? I think not. Now unless there will be some type of meal deal scheme that is cheaper than the well pushed schemes of 'pack lunch clubs' then I foresee another glorious council disaster... I already smell the undertones of BS filtering through. I am not trying to be ignorant to what you are trying to say, but the thought that your superior intellect has evolved from experience in such ways I can only suggest that for the next term in your life you pay a little more attention to the details around you and what is actually going on in the world and not just in Bolton. In my experience having traveled to war-torn countries and affluent areas such as North Dakota in the USA as an example, I can tell you that Bolton is screwed internally and externally. This is not just about the ability to spend cash in the TC, this is about funding, zoning, demographics, culture, social behavior, technology, architecture... and a whole raft of concepts that have been shunned by tptb in the Town Hall. The problems in Bolton lay much deeper than simple artificial attempts at inflating a dying town center. If for one moment you think a few people sitting eating a hearty meal in restaurants in the TC is going to be the be all and end all to the problems of the TC then you have been fooled by your many years of experience... and the council. No you see the problem is this... we are still pandering to Europe, something that cannot be undone because what a lot of people do not realize is that the English are one of the founding members of the stupid European Courts... so we cannot run away from it. Next: The country is spending tens of million a day on wars that we have no place being in... this also sees a great amount of interest added to the bill. Oh you people are only to happy to sit at home and watch someone else suffer poverty in what is supposed to be one of the richest societies in the world, but you will not stand up and demonstrate against the wars and money spent on such that are partially causing this problem of boom bust towns. We have a screwed up NHS, screwed up economy, screwed up education system, businesses are getting screwed... all of which could have been sorted out from funding town and city projects instead of pumping the money out abroad or into war. I could harp on all day in regard to the dross that is being fed to the people of Bolton... I for one am not completely stupid, I have my moments but I am not going to ever listen to some **** in a whistle and flute who is more interested in his bank balance than the public he is supposed to care about... which is obvious to me he is not. Yes there are a lot of people on this board who may not have much in the way of economic sense or education... again this states something about how society has been allowed to become removed from political science by the government. Jeez do you people not realize that education, true education is for a privileged few. The government have continually made education of the masses difficult and within a spectrum that keeps power with power and the stupid man stupid. I think I have said enough here to at least make a few people think a little bit higher up the chain than a few favored restaurants... Beyond News Forum
  • Score: 0

3:47pm Wed 2 Jan 13

rnorris says...

This has got to be a joke. There is already a restaurant for staff in the Townhall. Only Bolton Council could come up with an idea like this. Families dont come into the town centre in the evenings because its not safe, Simple .....There are too many councillors who are comfortable shall we say. They do the job for the allowances and not for the love of the town. They need shaking up especially when BOTH husband and wife are councillors. Not a bad little earner.
This has got to be a joke. There is already a restaurant for staff in the Townhall. Only Bolton Council could come up with an idea like this. Families dont come into the town centre in the evenings because its not safe, Simple .....There are too many councillors who are comfortable shall we say. They do the job for the allowances and not for the love of the town. They need shaking up especially when BOTH husband and wife are councillors. Not a bad little earner. rnorris
  • Score: 0

6:00pm Wed 2 Jan 13

aardwolf says...

Beyond News Forum
"You really thing sticking a few council workers into the town center is going to push out a boat full of cash"
Nope - but increased footfall = increased cash. Indisputable economic fact. It is a step (!) in the right direction.

"Just because the building is listed does not mean that the building cannot be sold"
nope but the planning consent, cost of 'sympathetic' conversion and business rates preclude it (nobody on here appears to have a grasp of just how much busienss rates are - please look it up).
I have lived in Bolton for a looonnnggg time and witnessed its decline - which started in the 70s

"The problems in Bolton lay much deeper than simple artificial attempts at inflating a dying town center."
? I'm not arguing with that.
Look - the only things I disagree with here are:-
a) the assertion that the Town Hall is a viable proposition as alternative use. Trust me - it isn't. In fact that is the single most preposterous suggestion that I've seen.

b) the assertion that increased footfall does not boost the economy - the statement from Harriss has clearly been 'soundbited' so it appears that he is only referring to restaurants. From the context of the rest of the article he clearly isn't.

People are constantly referring to Wigan and Bury as great town centres. They aren't. Wigan is and has been a toilet from time immemorial. Bury appears to have been left some time in the 1950s with the addition of bail hostels - a scary place that makes Bolton town centre look safe.
What can be done? No idea! There appear to be only two choices available - turn the centre into a throwback to the last century or, preferably, increase the gentrification. The first option is laughable and favoured by the over 60s so will never happen, The second option is unlikely while consecutive centre-left wing councils encourage the poor to breed or move to the town. I hope there is an alternative!
Beyond News Forum "You really thing sticking a few council workers into the town center is going to push out a boat full of cash" Nope - but increased footfall = increased cash. Indisputable economic fact. It is a step (!) in the right direction. "Just because the building is listed does not mean that the building cannot be sold" nope but the planning consent, cost of 'sympathetic' conversion and business rates preclude it (nobody on here appears to have a grasp of just how much busienss rates are - please look it up). I have lived in Bolton for a looonnnggg time and witnessed its decline - which started in the 70s "The problems in Bolton lay much deeper than simple artificial attempts at inflating a dying town center." ? I'm not arguing with that. Look - the only things I disagree with here are:- a) the assertion that the Town Hall is a viable proposition as alternative use. Trust me - it isn't. In fact that is the single most preposterous suggestion that I've seen. b) the assertion that increased footfall does not boost the economy - the statement from Harriss has clearly been 'soundbited' so it appears that he is only referring to restaurants. From the context of the rest of the article he clearly isn't. People are constantly referring to Wigan and Bury as great town centres. They aren't. Wigan is and has been a toilet from time immemorial. Bury appears to have been left some time in the 1950s with the addition of bail hostels - a scary place that makes Bolton town centre look safe. What can be done? No idea! There appear to be only two choices available - turn the centre into a throwback to the last century or, preferably, increase the gentrification. The first option is laughable and favoured by the over 60s so will never happen, The second option is unlikely while consecutive centre-left wing councils encourage the poor to breed or move to the town. I hope there is an alternative! aardwolf
  • Score: 0

10:41pm Wed 2 Jan 13

BWFC71 says...

aardwolf wrote:
Beyond News Forum
"You really thing sticking a few council workers into the town center is going to push out a boat full of cash"
Nope - but increased footfall = increased cash. Indisputable economic fact. It is a step (!) in the right direction.

"Just because the building is listed does not mean that the building cannot be sold"
nope but the planning consent, cost of 'sympathetic' conversion and business rates preclude it (nobody on here appears to have a grasp of just how much busienss rates are - please look it up).
I have lived in Bolton for a looonnnggg time and witnessed its decline - which started in the 70s

"The problems in Bolton lay much deeper than simple artificial attempts at inflating a dying town center."
? I'm not arguing with that.
Look - the only things I disagree with here are:-
a) the assertion that the Town Hall is a viable proposition as alternative use. Trust me - it isn't. In fact that is the single most preposterous suggestion that I've seen.

b) the assertion that increased footfall does not boost the economy - the statement from Harriss has clearly been 'soundbited' so it appears that he is only referring to restaurants. From the context of the rest of the article he clearly isn't.

People are constantly referring to Wigan and Bury as great town centres. They aren't. Wigan is and has been a toilet from time immemorial. Bury appears to have been left some time in the 1950s with the addition of bail hostels - a scary place that makes Bolton town centre look safe.
What can be done? No idea! There appear to be only two choices available - turn the centre into a throwback to the last century or, preferably, increase the gentrification. The first option is laughable and favoured by the over 60s so will never happen, The second option is unlikely while consecutive centre-left wing councils encourage the poor to breed or move to the town. I hope there is an alternative!
So it sounds to me that you have NOT visited Bury in quite a while. They have completely rejuvenated the town centre, all of it is now covered and been extended with new shops and shops queuing up to come into Bury (unlike Bolton where they are leaving by the dozen). Their market hall has been done up, and separated the meat/fish market from teh rest of it and is VERY successful. NNew amenities have been added to the town centre that makes it a true family-environment such as restaurants (much varied and decent compared to what little Bolton can offer) and even have a cinema in the town centre. The transport intercahnge is all conncted to it so basically its a one-stop shop for everything. Overall Bury of today is much more pleasant town experience than what Bolton is, plus parking prices are far much farer than Bolton and they don't have parking nazi's!
[quote][p][bold]aardwolf[/bold] wrote: Beyond News Forum "You really thing sticking a few council workers into the town center is going to push out a boat full of cash" Nope - but increased footfall = increased cash. Indisputable economic fact. It is a step (!) in the right direction. "Just because the building is listed does not mean that the building cannot be sold" nope but the planning consent, cost of 'sympathetic' conversion and business rates preclude it (nobody on here appears to have a grasp of just how much busienss rates are - please look it up). I have lived in Bolton for a looonnnggg time and witnessed its decline - which started in the 70s "The problems in Bolton lay much deeper than simple artificial attempts at inflating a dying town center." ? I'm not arguing with that. Look - the only things I disagree with here are:- a) the assertion that the Town Hall is a viable proposition as alternative use. Trust me - it isn't. In fact that is the single most preposterous suggestion that I've seen. b) the assertion that increased footfall does not boost the economy - the statement from Harriss has clearly been 'soundbited' so it appears that he is only referring to restaurants. From the context of the rest of the article he clearly isn't. People are constantly referring to Wigan and Bury as great town centres. They aren't. Wigan is and has been a toilet from time immemorial. Bury appears to have been left some time in the 1950s with the addition of bail hostels - a scary place that makes Bolton town centre look safe. What can be done? No idea! There appear to be only two choices available - turn the centre into a throwback to the last century or, preferably, increase the gentrification. The first option is laughable and favoured by the over 60s so will never happen, The second option is unlikely while consecutive centre-left wing councils encourage the poor to breed or move to the town. I hope there is an alternative![/p][/quote]So it sounds to me that you have NOT visited Bury in quite a while. They have completely rejuvenated the town centre, all of it is now covered and been extended with new shops and shops queuing up to come into Bury (unlike Bolton where they are leaving by the dozen). Their market hall has been done up, and separated the meat/fish market from teh rest of it and is VERY successful. NNew amenities have been added to the town centre that makes it a true family-environment such as restaurants (much varied and decent compared to what little Bolton can offer) and even have a cinema in the town centre. The transport intercahnge is all conncted to it so basically its a one-stop shop for everything. Overall Bury of today is much more pleasant town experience than what Bolton is, plus parking prices are far much farer than Bolton and they don't have parking nazi's! BWFC71
  • Score: 0

10:49pm Wed 2 Jan 13

BWFC71 says...

@Beyond News

Please can you stop confusing The European Court (of Human Rights) with the European Union.

The ECHR was set up after the last World War.

The EU (formerly The Common Market) was set up in the 60's of which we were NOT a founding member, but joined later, after a referendum which agreed to the joining.

There is no connection between the two separate institutions apart from the use of the word Europe. Do not forget that Great Britain is actually in the continent of Europe and has been since the last change in the earths axis and land mass movement, if not before!!!

Side Note: FFor any new country that wants to be part of the EU they also have to agree to join the ECHR but can leave ECHR at anytime they so wish to do so with no come-back from the EU!!!
@Beyond News Please can you stop confusing The European Court (of Human Rights) with the European Union. The ECHR was set up after the last World War. The EU (formerly The Common Market) was set up in the 60's of which we were NOT a founding member, but joined later, after a referendum which agreed to the joining. There is no connection between the two separate institutions apart from the use of the word Europe. Do not forget that Great Britain is actually in the continent of Europe and has been since the last change in the earths axis and land mass movement, if not before!!! Side Note: FFor any new country that wants to be part of the EU they also have to agree to join the ECHR but can leave ECHR at anytime they so wish to do so with no come-back from the EU!!! BWFC71
  • Score: 0

12:40am Thu 3 Jan 13

trotter1877 says...

The level of response to this article leads to believe that it does not need me to add any more criticism to it. I just hope these buffoons at the council take the time to read this page to understand the level of anger and resentment that people feel...... having said that would it do any good anyway?? Changes are desperately needed!
The level of response to this article leads to believe that it does not need me to add any more criticism to it. I just hope these buffoons at the council take the time to read this page to understand the level of anger and resentment that people feel...... having said that would it do any good anyway?? Changes are desperately needed! trotter1877
  • Score: 0

9:29pm Thu 3 Jan 13

Beyond News Forum says...

BWFC71 wrote:
@Beyond News

Please can you stop confusing The European Court (of Human Rights) with the European Union.

The ECHR was set up after the last World War.

The EU (formerly The Common Market) was set up in the 60's of which we were NOT a founding member, but joined later, after a referendum which agreed to the joining.

There is no connection between the two separate institutions apart from the use of the word Europe. Do not forget that Great Britain is actually in the continent of Europe and has been since the last change in the earths axis and land mass movement, if not before!!!

Side Note: FFor any new country that wants to be part of the EU they also have to agree to join the ECHR but can leave ECHR at anytime they so wish to do so with no come-back from the EU!!!
Sorry if I confused it...but: The Convention was drafted by the Council of Europe after World War II in response to a call issued by Europeans from all walks of life who had gathered at the Hague Congress (1948). When over 100 parliamentarians from the twelve member nations of the Council of Europe came together in Strasbourg in the summer of 1949 for the first ever meeting of the Council's Consultative Assembly, drafting a "charter of human rights" and creating a Court to enforce it was high on their agenda. British MP and lawyer Sir David Maxwell-Fyfe, the Chair of the Assembly's Committee on Legal and Administrative Questions, guided the drafting of the Convention.

Conclusion - GB helped in the venture from the start.

We should never have been involved in the debacle that is the EU... period. The UK should be a free market on it's own. I am probably one of the few believers in the original commonwealth setup. W\e didn't have to give up so much, instead helped the commonwealth more than we did.

Back on topic: The ECHR has been responsible for many a fiscal screw up, and does have alliances with the EU... funding for one short materialistic reason.

The ECHR has had it's hand in a lot of matters in Bolton... I will not mention the areas as I think you all know where I mean. And I am not scared of raising a PC issue.

I will just add to the last reply before mine... I think enough has been said here in the comments.

Have a happy new year all :)
[quote][p][bold]BWFC71[/bold] wrote: @Beyond News Please can you stop confusing The European Court (of Human Rights) with the European Union. The ECHR was set up after the last World War. The EU (formerly The Common Market) was set up in the 60's of which we were NOT a founding member, but joined later, after a referendum which agreed to the joining. There is no connection between the two separate institutions apart from the use of the word Europe. Do not forget that Great Britain is actually in the continent of Europe and has been since the last change in the earths axis and land mass movement, if not before!!! Side Note: FFor any new country that wants to be part of the EU they also have to agree to join the ECHR but can leave ECHR at anytime they so wish to do so with no come-back from the EU!!![/p][/quote]Sorry if I confused it...but: The Convention was drafted by the Council of Europe after World War II in response to a call issued by Europeans from all walks of life who had gathered at the Hague Congress (1948). When over 100 parliamentarians from the twelve member nations of the Council of Europe came together in Strasbourg in the summer of 1949 for the first ever meeting of the Council's Consultative Assembly, drafting a "charter of human rights" and creating a Court to enforce it was high on their agenda. British MP and lawyer Sir David Maxwell-Fyfe, the Chair of the Assembly's Committee on Legal and Administrative Questions, guided the drafting of the Convention. Conclusion - GB helped in the venture from the start. We should never have been involved in the debacle that is the EU... period. The UK should be a free market on it's own. I am probably one of the few believers in the original commonwealth setup. W\e didn't have to give up so much, instead helped the commonwealth more than we did. Back on topic: The ECHR has been responsible for many a fiscal screw up, and does have alliances with the EU... funding for one short materialistic reason. The ECHR has had it's hand in a lot of matters in Bolton... I will not mention the areas as I think you all know where I mean. And I am not scared of raising a PC issue. I will just add to the last reply before mine... I think enough has been said here in the comments. Have a happy new year all :) Beyond News Forum
  • Score: 0

2:43pm Mon 7 Jan 13

Marzi30 says...

Stories such as this no longer surprise me as it is blatantly obvious that our Councillors do live in a parallell Bolton and haven't got a clue what is happening in the "real world". The only way to remedy this is for the Townsfolk of Bolton, such as all those who take time to comment on such stories, to take a stand and prepare to get these self centered, sanctimonious and blinkered Councillors voted out of office. Surely with all the social network sites, Twitter and other such forums, enough could be done to form some sort of opposition to the current regime. I know apathy rules in Bolton at voting time, but unless a change is made at the very top then this rapid decline will only continue. Viva la Revolution !!!
Stories such as this no longer surprise me as it is blatantly obvious that our Councillors do live in a parallell Bolton and haven't got a clue what is happening in the "real world". The only way to remedy this is for the Townsfolk of Bolton, such as all those who take time to comment on such stories, to take a stand and prepare to get these self centered, sanctimonious and blinkered Councillors voted out of office. Surely with all the social network sites, Twitter and other such forums, enough could be done to form some sort of opposition to the current regime. I know apathy rules in Bolton at voting time, but unless a change is made at the very top then this rapid decline will only continue. Viva la Revolution !!! Marzi30
  • Score: 0

4:37pm Mon 7 Jan 13

judyben says...

A work colleague (in Preston) asked me to recommend somewhere to eat in Bolton town centre as she and her family were going to the Octagon. As Grimtown stated earlier everywhere is closed. Embarrassed to say I couldn't think of anywhere to recommend .
A work colleague (in Preston) asked me to recommend somewhere to eat in Bolton town centre as she and her family were going to the Octagon. As Grimtown stated earlier everywhere is closed. Embarrassed to say I couldn't think of anywhere to recommend . judyben
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree