Dog dies in freak kitchen blaze

n A DOG died after switching on a cooker hob and causing a fire.

It is believed the dog jumped on to the hob and caught the switch with its paw, starting the fire at the semi-detached house in Borough Avenue, Radcliffe.

The blaze broke out at 6.10pm on Sunday and crews from Bury and Whitefield attended.

The fire was out when they arrived, but the dog and several fish in a tank in the kitchen had died.

There was fire damage to the cupboards surrounding the cooker and severe smoke damage in the kitchen.

Cllr David Acton, chairman of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, said: “It’s sad somebody has lost their pet dog and fish as a result of this fire.

“Not only do the occupiers now face the emotional impact of the incident, but they are also left with the financial cost of the damage to their home.

“Unfortunately, strange incidents such as a dog jumping up and knocking the switches to turn a hob on do happen and despite all of our prevention work, we can't hope to stop all of these things from happening.”

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:09am Tue 8 Jan 13

oftbewildered2 says...

this is not the first incident of its kind - time manufacturers of cookers designed switches in such a way as they cannot be switched on accidentally - ie some pressure of manipulation is needed to turn them on. We never think of this sort of thing happening, but it does;
this is not the first incident of its kind - time manufacturers of cookers designed switches in such a way as they cannot be switched on accidentally - ie some pressure of manipulation is needed to turn them on. We never think of this sort of thing happening, but it does; oftbewildered2
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree