Family rescued from house blaze by neighbours
1:50pm Sunday 20th January 2013 in News
THE heroic actions of neighbours who helped rescue three children from a burning house have been praised by firefighters.
Crews from Leigh, Hindley and Atherton stations were called to a terraced house in Gregory Street, Leigh, at 1.30am yesterday (SUN) following reports of people trapped in a house which was on fire.
When they arrived firefighters used a nine metre high ladder to rescue a 29-year-old woman and a child from the front bedroom of the house, and helped her 29-year-old partner to flee by guiding him down the stairs.
Three other children had already been rescued from the front window by neighbours using a ladder.
The couple and their children, aged two, six, eight and 10, were treated for smoke inhalation and taken to the Royal Albert Edward Infirmary in Wigan.
Firefighters said the blaze had been caused by an unattended chip pan and although a smoke alarm was fitted, it did not go off soon enough because it was incorrectly fitted.
The house suffered “significant” smoke damage and the kitchen was destroyed.
Comments are closed on this article.