Seconds in taxi rank means a £70 fine

First published in News
Last updated

A MOTORING expert has accused Bolton Council of running a “money-making scheme" by fining drivers who stop in taxi ranks for only a few seconds.

Hugh German, a member of Bolton’s Institute of Advanced Motorists, was shocked to receive a £70 fine after stopping in the taxi rank in Knowsley Street for 14 seconds to drop off his wife on December 13, last year.

Another driver, Rod Pilling, was also angry to discover he had been fined in the same spot despite CCTV footage revealing he had been stopped on the taxi rank for just 12 seconds on December 10 last year.

The fine is £70, reduced by half if paid promptly.

Mr German said: “I reluctantly paid the £35 demanded.

I suspect that many others are unjustly charged and take the same option.

“I also believe that this type of action by Bolton Council is nothing more than a money-making scheme and that it contributes nothing to improving road safety or traffic flow. Bolton town centre is notorious for its pedantic enforcement of parking restrictions. No wonder shops are closing and would-be visitors and even many Bolton citizens go elsewhere for their shopping.”

He said appealing the fine would have involved further cost and the inconvenience of going to a traffic penalty tribunal.

Janice Pilling, aged 62, who is retired, from Westhoughton, said pictures of her husband’s Hyundai car in the taxi rank, sent by Bolton Council, show the car leaving after 10 seconds.

She said: “My husband dropped me off while I got my mum, who has dementia, some money out for Christmas from the Halifax.

“I think it’s probably a way for the council to get extra money because they have to save money again.”

A council spokesman said: “Both of these individuals have accepted they had stopped there illegally and have paid their fines.

“We acknowledge that these drivers felt their fines were unfair because they were only there for a short period of time.

“However, the taxi rank is clearly signposted and stopping in the rank even for a few seconds could prevent a taxi from parking and picking up a fare.

“If a motorist does feel they have been fined unfairly they can challenge their fine.”

Comments (82)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:07am Sat 26 Jan 13

georgethebrave says...

This is the reason why people don't come to Bolton, the smart car always parks up close by and waits for people to drop off mainly to go to the banks and then books them! Then the other story of parking in Harwood further supports how traffic wardens lie in wait to bang a ticket on a car so they can achieve their daily ticket target. Bolton is a joke!
This is the reason why people don't come to Bolton, the smart car always parks up close by and waits for people to drop off mainly to go to the banks and then books them! Then the other story of parking in Harwood further supports how traffic wardens lie in wait to bang a ticket on a car so they can achieve their daily ticket target. Bolton is a joke! georgethebrave
  • Score: 0

9:34am Sat 26 Jan 13

steveG says...

Councillors were,in the beginning,representa
tives of the people.
What on earth is going on when these same people,there to represent our interests,blatantly preside over a system designed to make as much money as possible,with blatant disregard for their constituents?
Councillors need to reflect and ask themselves is this the reason they stood for public office.
Councillors were,in the beginning,representa tives of the people. What on earth is going on when these same people,there to represent our interests,blatantly preside over a system designed to make as much money as possible,with blatant disregard for their constituents? Councillors need to reflect and ask themselves is this the reason they stood for public office. steveG
  • Score: 0

10:12am Sat 26 Jan 13

EllenSpeaks says...

The 'Smart Car' is always sat opposite here waiting to catch people! There is a dedicated 'Loading Bay' just past the taxi rank, you are suppose to stop in that to drop off and pick up, break the rules get fined, it is that simple!
The 'Smart Car' is always sat opposite here waiting to catch people! There is a dedicated 'Loading Bay' just past the taxi rank, you are suppose to stop in that to drop off and pick up, break the rules get fined, it is that simple! EllenSpeaks
  • Score: 0

10:13am Sat 26 Jan 13

John Edwards says...

In Farnworth taxis park at the bottom of Brackley St the entrance to the precinct, most of the time leaving the taxi bay empty. I sent in a photo of complaint but it was never followed up. Taxis are still parking there to this day. The traffic wardens and police ignore them. Just a pity that I don't have the photo anymore. I will take one and send it in when I'm next around and see them parked there.
In Farnworth taxis park at the bottom of Brackley St the entrance to the precinct, most of the time leaving the taxi bay empty. I sent in a photo of complaint but it was never followed up. Taxis are still parking there to this day. The traffic wardens and police ignore them. Just a pity that I don't have the photo anymore. I will take one and send it in when I'm next around and see them parked there. John Edwards
  • Score: 0

10:14am Sat 26 Jan 13

EllenSpeaks says...

They are frequently also catching people dropping off at the train station when dropping off in the 'bus stop' but drivers beware, the bus stop is legally not notified before you approch it, therefore any ticket given is null and void because of non-existent sign posting!
They are frequently also catching people dropping off at the train station when dropping off in the 'bus stop' but drivers beware, the bus stop is legally not notified before you approch it, therefore any ticket given is null and void because of non-existent sign posting! EllenSpeaks
  • Score: 0

11:09am Sat 26 Jan 13

Tel30 says...

I haven't had a ticket in Bolton for years--why?
because I wont go near the place.
I haven't had a ticket in Bolton for years--why? because I wont go near the place. Tel30
  • Score: 0

11:10am Sat 26 Jan 13

Tel30 says...

I haven't had a ticket in Bolton for years--why?
because I won't go near the place.
I haven't had a ticket in Bolton for years--why? because I won't go near the place. Tel30
  • Score: 1

11:20am Sat 26 Jan 13

georgethebrave says...

EllenSpeaks wrote:
They are frequently also catching people dropping off at the train station when dropping off in the 'bus stop' but drivers beware, the bus stop is legally not notified before you approch it, therefore any ticket given is null and void because of non-existent sign posting!
The same as on queen st, sign says permit holders only, and disabled drivers have been getting booked there for years, my 74 yr old father in law being one. Last week I parked on the car park and watched two wardens talking when a blue badge holder parked there, I said to them "I suppose you're going to ticket her now" and they said that tickets are no longer enforceable as the sign is misleading in that bay. So they have known this for years and only now are they saying that they have misled hundreds of people, I suggest that anyone who has received a ticket in that bay, appeal against it, because you should get your money back.
[quote][p][bold]EllenSpeaks[/bold] wrote: They are frequently also catching people dropping off at the train station when dropping off in the 'bus stop' but drivers beware, the bus stop is legally not notified before you approch it, therefore any ticket given is null and void because of non-existent sign posting![/p][/quote]The same as on queen st, sign says permit holders only, and disabled drivers have been getting booked there for years, my 74 yr old father in law being one. Last week I parked on the car park and watched two wardens talking when a blue badge holder parked there, I said to them "I suppose you're going to ticket her now" and they said that tickets are no longer enforceable as the sign is misleading in that bay. So they have known this for years and only now are they saying that they have misled hundreds of people, I suggest that anyone who has received a ticket in that bay, appeal against it, because you should get your money back. georgethebrave
  • Score: 0

12:08pm Sat 26 Jan 13

berushka says...

Tel30 wrote:
I haven't had a ticket in Bolton for years--why?
because I won't go near the place.
and neither will many more unless the council wakes up and stops being stupid. If the taxi rank is empty, and you stop for ten or fifteen seconds, what harm does it do anyone, for pity's sake? Maybe the offenders where actually going to spend money in the town, but then decided to get out and spend it somewhere else. And why are the council so keen to promote taxis, do they get a cut from the fares? We all know that many taxi drivers flaunt the law, drive like maniacs and park wherever they feel like it, but do they get a ticket? Not on your Nelly!
[quote][p][bold]Tel30[/bold] wrote: I haven't had a ticket in Bolton for years--why? because I won't go near the place.[/p][/quote]and neither will many more unless the council wakes up and stops being stupid. If the taxi rank is empty, and you stop for ten or fifteen seconds, what harm does it do anyone, for pity's sake? Maybe the offenders where actually going to spend money in the town, but then decided to get out and spend it somewhere else. And why are the council so keen to promote taxis, do they get a cut from the fares? We all know that many taxi drivers flaunt the law, drive like maniacs and park wherever they feel like it, but do they get a ticket? Not on your Nelly! berushka
  • Score: 0

12:08pm Sat 26 Jan 13

berushka says...

Tel30 wrote:
I haven't had a ticket in Bolton for years--why?
because I won't go near the place.
and neither will many more unless the council wakes up and stops being stupid. If the taxi rank is empty, and you stop for ten or fifteen seconds, what harm does it do anyone, for pity's sake? Maybe the offenders where actually going to spend money in the town, but then decided to get out and spend it somewhere else. And why are the council so keen to promote taxis, do they get a cut from the fares? We all know that many taxi drivers flaunt the law, drive like maniacs and park wherever they feel like it, but do they get a ticket? Not on your Nelly!
[quote][p][bold]Tel30[/bold] wrote: I haven't had a ticket in Bolton for years--why? because I won't go near the place.[/p][/quote]and neither will many more unless the council wakes up and stops being stupid. If the taxi rank is empty, and you stop for ten or fifteen seconds, what harm does it do anyone, for pity's sake? Maybe the offenders where actually going to spend money in the town, but then decided to get out and spend it somewhere else. And why are the council so keen to promote taxis, do they get a cut from the fares? We all know that many taxi drivers flaunt the law, drive like maniacs and park wherever they feel like it, but do they get a ticket? Not on your Nelly! berushka
  • Score: 0

12:47pm Sat 26 Jan 13

boltonnut says...

Glad I moved.Where I live the council tried to implement a paid parking system but the local down town merchants objected.They claimed it would drive people away and they would lose business.The council reversed their decsion so we still have free parking and every one is happy.By the way we don't have any one called Morris on our council.!!!!!!!!!!
Glad I moved.Where I live the council tried to implement a paid parking system but the local down town merchants objected.They claimed it would drive people away and they would lose business.The council reversed their decsion so we still have free parking and every one is happy.By the way we don't have any one called Morris on our council.!!!!!!!!!! boltonnut
  • Score: 0

1:46pm Sat 26 Jan 13

pecky2k says...

I recently visited Swinton. They have loads of parking spaces with 2 hours free parking, just press a button, get the ticket, put it in the window and off I went. Why cant Bolton a similar scheme to bring shoppers into the town centre instead of driving them away to retail parks that offer free parking. Bolton is succumbing to failure, where all the shops are struggling to stay afloat. Short term free parking would perhaps have offered those affected in this report by giving them the opportunity to park up and collect whatever they needed, and in doing so may have also prompted them to a few impulse purchases that would be bringing extra legitimate revenue into the town and in turn could reverse the towns dying trend into one where the town could become proud again. May I also add that the "Smart" warden was parked in a loading bay recently to observe these offenders. What were they actually loading, oh yes that's it, they were loading the councils bank accounts. The council "Smart" warden should also get a ticket!
I recently visited Swinton. They have loads of parking spaces with 2 hours free parking, just press a button, get the ticket, put it in the window and off I went. Why cant Bolton a similar scheme to bring shoppers into the town centre instead of driving them away to retail parks that offer free parking. Bolton is succumbing to failure, where all the shops are struggling to stay afloat. Short term free parking would perhaps have offered those affected in this report by giving them the opportunity to park up and collect whatever they needed, and in doing so may have also prompted them to a few impulse purchases that would be bringing extra legitimate revenue into the town and in turn could reverse the towns dying trend into one where the town could become proud again. May I also add that the "Smart" warden was parked in a loading bay recently to observe these offenders. What were they actually loading, oh yes that's it, they were loading the councils bank accounts. The council "Smart" warden should also get a ticket! pecky2k
  • Score: 0

2:23pm Sat 26 Jan 13

tony000 says...

no wonder no one want to come to this ghost town .
no wonder no one want to come to this ghost town . tony000
  • Score: 0

5:41pm Sat 26 Jan 13

bwfc0210 says...

Bolton advanced motorist should have known better. However, should the smart car be allowed to get away with this "regular" spying? Thought they should only be used when impractical for traffic warden to monitor. Town centre hardly difficult for warden to get there.
Bolton advanced motorist should have known better. However, should the smart car be allowed to get away with this "regular" spying? Thought they should only be used when impractical for traffic warden to monitor. Town centre hardly difficult for warden to get there. bwfc0210
  • Score: 0

7:24pm Sat 26 Jan 13

KEEPINLANE says...

Some years ago I used to take my wife shopping in Bolton. I won't go anywhere near now.
I parked at the car-park on the 'upmarket' shopping mall (God knows the exact name) and found there was no way I could bring our dog down to street level without offending the 'jobs worth' mall security/mall manager.
FOR GOD'S SAKE, I JUST WANTED TO GET OUT OF THE DUMP!!!!!
Some years ago I used to take my wife shopping in Bolton. I won't go anywhere near now. I parked at the car-park on the 'upmarket' shopping mall (God knows the exact name) and found there was no way I could bring our dog down to street level without offending the 'jobs worth' mall security/mall manager. FOR GOD'S SAKE, I JUST WANTED TO GET OUT OF THE DUMP!!!!! KEEPINLANE
  • Score: 0

8:21pm Sat 26 Jan 13

dougie kay says...

steveG wrote:
Councillors were,in the beginning,representa

tives of the people.
What on earth is going on when these same people,there to represent our interests,blatantly preside over a system designed to make as much money as possible,with blatant disregard for their constituents?
Councillors need to reflect and ask themselves is this the reason they stood for public office.
they have no interest in what the public want. So long as they can make themselves a few quid in perks and expenses.they are happy enough to sit on their butts with with their brains in neutral
[quote][p][bold]steveG[/bold] wrote: Councillors were,in the beginning,representa tives of the people. What on earth is going on when these same people,there to represent our interests,blatantly preside over a system designed to make as much money as possible,with blatant disregard for their constituents? Councillors need to reflect and ask themselves is this the reason they stood for public office.[/p][/quote]they have no interest in what the public want. So long as they can make themselves a few quid in perks and expenses.they are happy enough to sit on their butts with with their brains in neutral dougie kay
  • Score: 0

9:29pm Sat 26 Jan 13

Leftythelion says...

I love Bolton, but I rarely shop there now due to the over zealous traffic wardens and parking charges.
I love Bolton, but I rarely shop there now due to the over zealous traffic wardens and parking charges. Leftythelion
  • Score: 0

2:09am Sun 27 Jan 13

chris25 says...

i havent had a ticket in bolton ,why ,because i legally park my car
i havent had a ticket in bolton ,why ,because i legally park my car chris25
  • Score: 0

7:32am Sun 27 Jan 13

jjb2000 says...

My Wife got 'caught' dropping me off on Knowsley Street, but our car didn't even come to a complete standstill as I jumped out!
We've only got a still image to go off that shows the car but obviously no movement, and while we can't really afford the ridiculously inflated fine cost, we certainly can't afford to take on BMBC'd legal team, and in my opinion it's this indirect intimidation that means the little people just pay rather than fight.
It's about time the proceeds of this stealth tax were used to sort out Boltons abysmal road surfaces!
BMBC? Meh!
My Wife got 'caught' dropping me off on Knowsley Street, but our car didn't even come to a complete standstill as I jumped out! We've only got a still image to go off that shows the car but obviously no movement, and while we can't really afford the ridiculously inflated fine cost, we certainly can't afford to take on BMBC'd legal team, and in my opinion it's this indirect intimidation that means the little people just pay rather than fight. It's about time the proceeds of this stealth tax were used to sort out Boltons abysmal road surfaces! BMBC? Meh! jjb2000
  • Score: 0

10:47am Sun 27 Jan 13

davroduk1 says...

chris25 wrote:
i havent had a ticket in bolton ,why ,because i legally park my car
Strangely enough I have never had a ticket in Bolton for exactly the same reason.
There are more than enough places to legally park your car, so dont complain if you chose to ignore the regulations and get caught.
[quote][p][bold]chris25[/bold] wrote: i havent had a ticket in bolton ,why ,because i legally park my car[/p][/quote]Strangely enough I have never had a ticket in Bolton for exactly the same reason. There are more than enough places to legally park your car, so dont complain if you chose to ignore the regulations and get caught. davroduk1
  • Score: 0

10:49am Sun 27 Jan 13

atlas123 says...

The rules are know... Take a chance and lose.




I've never had a parking ticket either.... I don't stop where I shouldn't simples
The rules are know... Take a chance and lose. I've never had a parking ticket either.... I don't stop where I shouldn't simples atlas123
  • Score: 0

10:53am Sun 27 Jan 13

OutoftheEU says...

Bolton Council have killed off the town centre over the years, I was walking around in town one day last week and it was the saddest experience of my life as far back as I can remember.

The town hall "modernisation" was the beginning of the end; and it has continued ever since. The only way to regenerate the town centre is to give free rates for 12 months for existing and new start up businesses and free parking - only that would compromise any agreements they have with private companies.

Parking fines are just madness in this economic climate. Madness for the people that receive them, madness from the business lost out on as a result and madness for promoting a welcoming town centre.

We go to Bury now.
Bolton Council have killed off the town centre over the years, I was walking around in town one day last week and it was the saddest experience of my life as far back as I can remember. The town hall "modernisation" was the beginning of the end; and it has continued ever since. The only way to regenerate the town centre is to give free rates for 12 months for existing and new start up businesses and free parking - only that would compromise any agreements they have with private companies. Parking fines are just madness in this economic climate. Madness for the people that receive them, madness from the business lost out on as a result and madness for promoting a welcoming town centre. We go to Bury now. OutoftheEU
  • Score: 0

10:55am Sun 27 Jan 13

Jenon Travel Bolton says...

John Edwards wrote:
In Farnworth taxis park at the bottom of Brackley St the entrance to the precinct, most of the time leaving the taxi bay empty. I sent in a photo of complaint but it was never followed up. Taxis are still parking there to this day. The traffic wardens and police ignore them. Just a pity that I don't have the photo anymore. I will take one and send it in when I'm next around and see them parked there.
The Taxi's you refer to are not classed as Taxi's. They are private hire and are not allowed to park in taxi bays. They would be fined like any other driver.
[quote][p][bold]John Edwards[/bold] wrote: In Farnworth taxis park at the bottom of Brackley St the entrance to the precinct, most of the time leaving the taxi bay empty. I sent in a photo of complaint but it was never followed up. Taxis are still parking there to this day. The traffic wardens and police ignore them. Just a pity that I don't have the photo anymore. I will take one and send it in when I'm next around and see them parked there.[/p][/quote]The Taxi's you refer to are not classed as Taxi's. They are private hire and are not allowed to park in taxi bays. They would be fined like any other driver. Jenon Travel Bolton
  • Score: 0

10:58am Sun 27 Jan 13

Jenon Travel Bolton says...

Im not sure about this but is it legal for them to take up a loading bay space to take pictures of cars that have to park illeagaly because there are no spaces. Entrapment comes to mind.
Im not sure about this but is it legal for them to take up a loading bay space to take pictures of cars that have to park illeagaly because there are no spaces. Entrapment comes to mind. Jenon Travel Bolton
  • Score: 0

12:28pm Sun 27 Jan 13

genesis22 says...

the explanation given by the council spokesman underlines the very contradictions in the rules ' these motorists may have prevented taxis from parking in the bay ' they didn't prevent any taxi from parking in real time they momentarily dropped off in a matter of seconds, consequently the explanation does not apply, it is therefore nothing more than an excuse for issuing the fines and generating income. Quite simply, the council endeavors to issue as many fines wherever they can to maximise income, using covert cameras in easy locations were drivers are vulnerable is nothing short of disgraceful, since when has civil duty lent itself to acting as a preying mantis, Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask when he robbed folk. Another hot spot is Nelson Square which is surrounded by yellow lines, loading only bays and no waiting except for taxis. Why then should a private driver waiting to pick up a relative who has finished working in one of the local shops, by pulling up in a loading bay after 6pm when no delivery vehicles use the square, be pulled up by wardens and asked to move on ' you are obstructing a loading bay ' ' but there are no delivery vehicles here so how can I be obstructing the bay unless we are discussing imaginary delivery vehicles ' ? no comment - please move on. So you drive around the square and stop again where you were 60 seconds previous - utterly and totally bereft of common sense. The warden will often suddenly appear stepping out from a private car, then get back in it and drive off ! utterly ridiculous, I should not be surprised if I saw a traffic warden scramble out from beneath a manhole chamber or drainage gully. To those drivers who claim you should always park legally, this issue is not about parking or leaving your car to go shopping, it centres on simply pulling up to drop off a passenger or waiting for a few minutes to collect someone, neither of which constitutes 'parking' under traffic law. Waiting in your vehicle in the drivers seat with the engine running is an entirely different scenario.
the explanation given by the council spokesman underlines the very contradictions in the rules ' these motorists may have prevented taxis from parking in the bay ' they didn't prevent any taxi from parking in real time they momentarily dropped off in a matter of seconds, consequently the explanation does not apply, it is therefore nothing more than an excuse for issuing the fines and generating income. Quite simply, the council endeavors to issue as many fines wherever they can to maximise income, using covert cameras in easy locations were drivers are vulnerable is nothing short of disgraceful, since when has civil duty lent itself to acting as a preying mantis, Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask when he robbed folk. Another hot spot is Nelson Square which is surrounded by yellow lines, loading only bays and no waiting except for taxis. Why then should a private driver waiting to pick up a relative who has finished working in one of the local shops, by pulling up in a loading bay after 6pm when no delivery vehicles use the square, be pulled up by wardens and asked to move on ' you are obstructing a loading bay ' ' but there are no delivery vehicles here so how can I be obstructing the bay unless we are discussing imaginary delivery vehicles ' ? no comment - please move on. So you drive around the square and stop again where you were 60 seconds previous - utterly and totally bereft of common sense. The warden will often suddenly appear stepping out from a private car, then get back in it and drive off ! utterly ridiculous, I should not be surprised if I saw a traffic warden scramble out from beneath a manhole chamber or drainage gully. To those drivers who claim you should always park legally, this issue is not about parking or leaving your car to go shopping, it centres on simply pulling up to drop off a passenger or waiting for a few minutes to collect someone, neither of which constitutes 'parking' under traffic law. Waiting in your vehicle in the drivers seat with the engine running is an entirely different scenario. genesis22
  • Score: 0

12:38pm Sun 27 Jan 13

cosmicma says...

it'l be a sad day indeed when there are more "vultures" sorry traffic wardens wandering round the town center than shoppers because thats what it's coming to
there's nothing left to make it worth while visiting
it'l be a sad day indeed when there are more "vultures" sorry traffic wardens wandering round the town center than shoppers because thats what it's coming to there's nothing left to make it worth while visiting cosmicma
  • Score: 0

12:46pm Sun 27 Jan 13

pstuart says...

georgethebrave wrote:
EllenSpeaks wrote: They are frequently also catching people dropping off at the train station when dropping off in the 'bus stop' but drivers beware, the bus stop is legally not notified before you approch it, therefore any ticket given is null and void because of non-existent sign posting!
The same as on queen st, sign says permit holders only, and disabled drivers have been getting booked there for years, my 74 yr old father in law being one. Last week I parked on the car park and watched two wardens talking when a blue badge holder parked there, I said to them "I suppose you're going to ticket her now" and they said that tickets are no longer enforceable as the sign is misleading in that bay. So they have known this for years and only now are they saying that they have misled hundreds of people, I suggest that anyone who has received a ticket in that bay, appeal against it, because you should get your money back.
Mislead hundreds of people!!!!!
When I got ambushed here last year I was so annoyed that in my protestations to them I included the fact that just less than 1000 people were fined here in 2010 to 2011 (obtained under the Freedom of Information Act).
So its more like thousands, not hundreds!
Cheeky robbing b.ggers.
[quote][p][bold]georgethebrave[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]EllenSpeaks[/bold] wrote: They are frequently also catching people dropping off at the train station when dropping off in the 'bus stop' but drivers beware, the bus stop is legally not notified before you approch it, therefore any ticket given is null and void because of non-existent sign posting![/p][/quote]The same as on queen st, sign says permit holders only, and disabled drivers have been getting booked there for years, my 74 yr old father in law being one. Last week I parked on the car park and watched two wardens talking when a blue badge holder parked there, I said to them "I suppose you're going to ticket her now" and they said that tickets are no longer enforceable as the sign is misleading in that bay. So they have known this for years and only now are they saying that they have misled hundreds of people, I suggest that anyone who has received a ticket in that bay, appeal against it, because you should get your money back.[/p][/quote]Mislead hundreds of people!!!!! When I got ambushed here last year I was so annoyed that in my protestations to them I included the fact that just less than 1000 people were fined here in 2010 to 2011 (obtained under the Freedom of Information Act). So its more like thousands, not hundreds! Cheeky robbing b.ggers. pstuart
  • Score: 0

12:56pm Sun 27 Jan 13

questionairre says...

Park on Morrison s, pay a pound do a bit of shopping get the pound back.

easy
Park on Morrison s, pay a pound do a bit of shopping get the pound back. easy questionairre
  • Score: 0

5:11pm Sun 27 Jan 13

zoomzam says...

Last Saturday I parked my car opposite the Magistrates Court. I sat in the car as my daughter ventured out shopping. In one hour my ticket was checked 8 times by 3 different wardens!!! These morons are just prying on motorists. They are on commission. Also there surely is a law which prevents smart cars booking you from a distance? Privacy laws?
Last Saturday I parked my car opposite the Magistrates Court. I sat in the car as my daughter ventured out shopping. In one hour my ticket was checked 8 times by 3 different wardens!!! These morons are just prying on motorists. They are on commission. Also there surely is a law which prevents smart cars booking you from a distance? Privacy laws? zoomzam
  • Score: 0

6:02pm Sun 27 Jan 13

JustBecause says...

Trafford centre gets my cash, Bolton is a terrible place to shop, the council don't give a toss.
Trafford centre gets my cash, Bolton is a terrible place to shop, the council don't give a toss. JustBecause
  • Score: 0

6:37pm Sun 27 Jan 13

ownerdriver says...

EllenSpeaks wrote:
The 'Smart Car' is always sat opposite here waiting to catch people! There is a dedicated 'Loading Bay' just past the taxi rank, you are suppose to stop in that to drop off and pick up, break the rules get fined, it is that simple!
Loading bays are for delivery vehicles not selfish lazy people
[quote][p][bold]EllenSpeaks[/bold] wrote: The 'Smart Car' is always sat opposite here waiting to catch people! There is a dedicated 'Loading Bay' just past the taxi rank, you are suppose to stop in that to drop off and pick up, break the rules get fined, it is that simple![/p][/quote]Loading bays are for delivery vehicles not selfish lazy people ownerdriver
  • Score: 0

6:42pm Sun 27 Jan 13

ownerdriver says...

berushka wrote:
Tel30 wrote:
I haven't had a ticket in Bolton for years--why?
because I won't go near the place.
and neither will many more unless the council wakes up and stops being stupid. If the taxi rank is empty, and you stop for ten or fifteen seconds, what harm does it do anyone, for pity's sake? Maybe the offenders where actually going to spend money in the town, but then decided to get out and spend it somewhere else. And why are the council so keen to promote taxis, do they get a cut from the fares? We all know that many taxi drivers flaunt the law, drive like maniacs and park wherever they feel like it, but do they get a ticket? Not on your Nelly!
The reason that they promote and have so many taxis on the road is they get a lot of money for the annual licence fees
[quote][p][bold]berushka[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tel30[/bold] wrote: I haven't had a ticket in Bolton for years--why? because I won't go near the place.[/p][/quote]and neither will many more unless the council wakes up and stops being stupid. If the taxi rank is empty, and you stop for ten or fifteen seconds, what harm does it do anyone, for pity's sake? Maybe the offenders where actually going to spend money in the town, but then decided to get out and spend it somewhere else. And why are the council so keen to promote taxis, do they get a cut from the fares? We all know that many taxi drivers flaunt the law, drive like maniacs and park wherever they feel like it, but do they get a ticket? Not on your Nelly![/p][/quote]The reason that they promote and have so many taxis on the road is they get a lot of money for the annual licence fees ownerdriver
  • Score: 0

7:27pm Sun 27 Jan 13

BWFC71 says...

OutoftheEU wrote:
Bolton Council have killed off the town centre over the years, I was walking around in town one day last week and it was the saddest experience of my life as far back as I can remember.

The town hall "modernisation" was the beginning of the end; and it has continued ever since. The only way to regenerate the town centre is to give free rates for 12 months for existing and new start up businesses and free parking - only that would compromise any agreements they have with private companies.

Parking fines are just madness in this economic climate. Madness for the people that receive them, madness from the business lost out on as a result and madness for promoting a welcoming town centre.

We go to Bury now.
Just one problem with that solution....

BOLTON COUNCIL DO NOT SET THE RATES - CENTRAL GOVERNMENT DO!!!

Bolton Council only collect the rates on behalf of the Government!!!
[quote][p][bold]OutoftheEU[/bold] wrote: Bolton Council have killed off the town centre over the years, I was walking around in town one day last week and it was the saddest experience of my life as far back as I can remember. The town hall "modernisation" was the beginning of the end; and it has continued ever since. The only way to regenerate the town centre is to give free rates for 12 months for existing and new start up businesses and free parking - only that would compromise any agreements they have with private companies. Parking fines are just madness in this economic climate. Madness for the people that receive them, madness from the business lost out on as a result and madness for promoting a welcoming town centre. We go to Bury now.[/p][/quote]Just one problem with that solution.... BOLTON COUNCIL DO NOT SET THE RATES - CENTRAL GOVERNMENT DO!!! Bolton Council only collect the rates on behalf of the Government!!! BWFC71
  • Score: 0

7:36pm Sun 27 Jan 13

chris25 says...

questionairre wrote:
Park on Morrison s, pay a pound do a bit of shopping get the pound back.

easy
people wont walk the distance from morrisons to town centre thy would park in front of the town hall steps if they could get away with it if it was not for the wardens it would be a free for all
[quote][p][bold]questionairre[/bold] wrote: Park on Morrison s, pay a pound do a bit of shopping get the pound back. easy[/p][/quote]people wont walk the distance from morrisons to town centre thy would park in front of the town hall steps if they could get away with it if it was not for the wardens it would be a free for all chris25
  • Score: 0

7:58pm Sun 27 Jan 13

davroduk1 says...

It seems to be a lot of people on here complaining that they only broke the law for a short period of time, and therfore it shouldnt count.
You broke the law.
You were caught breaking the law.
Pay the bloomin fine and dont do it again.
If someone broke into your house would you be happy for them to get off scott free if they claimed that they were only in your house for 15 seconds ?
No you bl00dy well wouldnt.
Dont break the law and you wont get a fine.
Its not flamin rocket science is it ???
I park up in an official car park and walk (no fine)
You decide that the rules dont apply to you and stop where you want (a fine.)
Basically thats it in a nutshell.
Use the bl00dy car parks.
It seems to be a lot of people on here complaining that they only broke the law for a short period of time, and therfore it shouldnt count. You broke the law. You were caught breaking the law. Pay the bloomin fine and dont do it again. If someone broke into your house would you be happy for them to get off scott free if they claimed that they were only in your house for 15 seconds ? No you bl00dy well wouldnt. Dont break the law and you wont get a fine. Its not flamin rocket science is it ??? I park up in an official car park and walk (no fine) You decide that the rules dont apply to you and stop where you want (a fine.) Basically thats it in a nutshell. Use the bl00dy car parks. davroduk1
  • Score: 0

7:59pm Sun 27 Jan 13

Rememberscarborough says...

I'd be interested to know how many tickets our councillors have picked up over the last ten years. I suspect the answer is none and not because they are such "honest" individuals. Maybe Cllr Morris would care to let us know where he parks when he shops in Bolton and how much he pays....
I'd be interested to know how many tickets our councillors have picked up over the last ten years. I suspect the answer is none and not because they are such "honest" individuals. Maybe Cllr Morris would care to let us know where he parks when he shops in Bolton and how much he pays.... Rememberscarborough
  • Score: 0

8:02pm Sun 27 Jan 13

bouncyball55 says...

when I shop at my local supermarket and something has increased outrageously in price I leave it there on the shelf........hit them where it hurts, in the wallet, until the price comes back down. I now do the same with Bolton. I leave Bolton on the shelf and shop elsewhere. I will continue to shop elsewhere until Bolton council see the error of their ways, or better still, see their P45's.
when I shop at my local supermarket and something has increased outrageously in price I leave it there on the shelf........hit them where it hurts, in the wallet, until the price comes back down. I now do the same with Bolton. I leave Bolton on the shelf and shop elsewhere. I will continue to shop elsewhere until Bolton council see the error of their ways, or better still, see their P45's. bouncyball55
  • Score: 0

8:11pm Sun 27 Jan 13

ohboltonweloveu says...

i got stung in a taxi rank.....cost me about the same
i got stung in a taxi rank.....cost me about the same ohboltonweloveu
  • Score: 0

8:17pm Sun 27 Jan 13

ohboltonweloveu says...

davroduk1 wrote:
It seems to be a lot of people on here complaining that they only broke the law for a short period of time, and therfore it shouldnt count.
You broke the law.
You were caught breaking the law.
Pay the bloomin fine and dont do it again.
If someone broke into your house would you be happy for them to get off scott free if they claimed that they were only in your house for 15 seconds ?
No you bl00dy well wouldnt.
Dont break the law and you wont get a fine.
Its not flamin rocket science is it ???
I park up in an official car park and walk (no fine)
You decide that the rules dont apply to you and stop where you want (a fine.)
Basically thats it in a nutshell.
Use the bl00dy car parks.
are you for real ? seriously are you ?
i'm sure you never broke a single law ever ,, not even an infringement,,,Wow
what a hero
[quote][p][bold]davroduk1[/bold] wrote: It seems to be a lot of people on here complaining that they only broke the law for a short period of time, and therfore it shouldnt count. You broke the law. You were caught breaking the law. Pay the bloomin fine and dont do it again. If someone broke into your house would you be happy for them to get off scott free if they claimed that they were only in your house for 15 seconds ? No you bl00dy well wouldnt. Dont break the law and you wont get a fine. Its not flamin rocket science is it ??? I park up in an official car park and walk (no fine) You decide that the rules dont apply to you and stop where you want (a fine.) Basically thats it in a nutshell. Use the bl00dy car parks.[/p][/quote]are you for real ? seriously are you ? i'm sure you never broke a single law ever ,, not even an infringement,,,Wow what a hero ohboltonweloveu
  • Score: 0

8:18pm Sun 27 Jan 13

ohboltonweloveu says...

ohboltonweloveu wrote:
davroduk1 wrote:
It seems to be a lot of people on here complaining that they only broke the law for a short period of time, and therfore it shouldnt count.
You broke the law.
You were caught breaking the law.
Pay the bloomin fine and dont do it again.
If someone broke into your house would you be happy for them to get off scott free if they claimed that they were only in your house for 15 seconds ?
No you bl00dy well wouldnt.
Dont break the law and you wont get a fine.
Its not flamin rocket science is it ???
I park up in an official car park and walk (no fine)
You decide that the rules dont apply to you and stop where you want (a fine.)
Basically thats it in a nutshell.
Use the bl00dy car parks.
are you for real ? seriously are you ?
i'm sure you never broke a single law ever ,, not even an infringement,,,Wow
what a hero
not even 31mph in a 30mph zone ..... people of bolton ,,,take note
[quote][p][bold]ohboltonweloveu[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]davroduk1[/bold] wrote: It seems to be a lot of people on here complaining that they only broke the law for a short period of time, and therfore it shouldnt count. You broke the law. You were caught breaking the law. Pay the bloomin fine and dont do it again. If someone broke into your house would you be happy for them to get off scott free if they claimed that they were only in your house for 15 seconds ? No you bl00dy well wouldnt. Dont break the law and you wont get a fine. Its not flamin rocket science is it ??? I park up in an official car park and walk (no fine) You decide that the rules dont apply to you and stop where you want (a fine.) Basically thats it in a nutshell. Use the bl00dy car parks.[/p][/quote]are you for real ? seriously are you ? i'm sure you never broke a single law ever ,, not even an infringement,,,Wow what a hero[/p][/quote]not even 31mph in a 30mph zone ..... people of bolton ,,,take note ohboltonweloveu
  • Score: 0

8:32pm Sun 27 Jan 13

ohboltonweloveu says...

in the world of Davrok ( who upholds the L A W ) ,,, when next dropping a passenger off,, find the nearest car park,, buy a pay & display ticket for £ 2.50 .. drop your passenger off , ( time taken 30 seconds MAX ) then say goodbye to your passenger - arrange another collectionin a Dodgy ulit - non cctv car park meeting ...Pay another £2.50 to collect your passenger .... oh my god ..its not rocket science zzzZZZzzzzZZZZzzzz ..
i bet mrs Davrok loves and feels so Safe on her nights out in bolton...
in the world of Davrok ( who upholds the L A W ) ,,, when next dropping a passenger off,, find the nearest car park,, buy a pay & display ticket for £ 2.50 .. drop your passenger off , ( time taken 30 seconds MAX ) then say goodbye to your passenger - arrange another collectionin a Dodgy ulit - non cctv car park meeting ...Pay another £2.50 to collect your passenger .... oh my god ..its not rocket science zzzZZZzzzzZZZZzzzz .. i bet mrs Davrok loves and feels so Safe on her nights out in bolton... ohboltonweloveu
  • Score: 0

8:56pm Sun 27 Jan 13

BWFC71 says...

Rememberscarborough wrote:
I'd be interested to know how many tickets our councillors have picked up over the last ten years. I suspect the answer is none and not because they are such "honest" individuals. Maybe Cllr Morris would care to let us know where he parks when he shops in Bolton and how much he pays....
He doesn't shop in Bolton - he probably shops in Wilmslow - as thats because he can afford to with his multiple wages!!!
[quote][p][bold]Rememberscarborough[/bold] wrote: I'd be interested to know how many tickets our councillors have picked up over the last ten years. I suspect the answer is none and not because they are such "honest" individuals. Maybe Cllr Morris would care to let us know where he parks when he shops in Bolton and how much he pays....[/p][/quote]He doesn't shop in Bolton - he probably shops in Wilmslow - as thats because he can afford to with his multiple wages!!! BWFC71
  • Score: 0

9:03pm Sun 27 Jan 13

mc1986 says...

fantastic idea!!......now take it to the bus and taxi lanes at the bottom of St Helens Road and Deane road. We should make squillions from them alone
fantastic idea!!......now take it to the bus and taxi lanes at the bottom of St Helens Road and Deane road. We should make squillions from them alone mc1986
  • Score: 0

9:11pm Sun 27 Jan 13

ohboltonweloveu says...

chris25 wrote:
questionairre wrote:
Park on Morrison s, pay a pound do a bit of shopping get the pound back.

easy
people wont walk the distance from morrisons to town centre thy would park in front of the town hall steps if they could get away with it if it was not for the wardens it would be a free for all
yeh...use the bl00dy car parks people......
[quote][p][bold]chris25[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]questionairre[/bold] wrote: Park on Morrison s, pay a pound do a bit of shopping get the pound back. easy[/p][/quote]people wont walk the distance from morrisons to town centre thy would park in front of the town hall steps if they could get away with it if it was not for the wardens it would be a free for all[/p][/quote]yeh...use the bl00dy car parks people...... ohboltonweloveu
  • Score: 0

9:11pm Sun 27 Jan 13

ohboltonweloveu says...

chris25 wrote:
questionairre wrote:
Park on Morrison s, pay a pound do a bit of shopping get the pound back.

easy
people wont walk the distance from morrisons to town centre thy would park in front of the town hall steps if they could get away with it if it was not for the wardens it would be a free for all
yeh...use the bl00dy car parks people......
[quote][p][bold]chris25[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]questionairre[/bold] wrote: Park on Morrison s, pay a pound do a bit of shopping get the pound back. easy[/p][/quote]people wont walk the distance from morrisons to town centre thy would park in front of the town hall steps if they could get away with it if it was not for the wardens it would be a free for all[/p][/quote]yeh...use the bl00dy car parks people...... ohboltonweloveu
  • Score: 0

9:17pm Sun 27 Jan 13

davroduk1 says...

ohboltonweloveu wrote:
in the world of Davrok ( who upholds the L A W ) ,,, when next dropping a passenger off,, find the nearest car park,, buy a pay & display ticket for £ 2.50 .. drop your passenger off , ( time taken 30 seconds MAX ) then say goodbye to your passenger - arrange another collectionin a Dodgy ulit - non cctv car park meeting ...Pay another £2.50 to collect your passenger .... oh my god ..its not rocket science zzzZZZzzzzZZZZzzzz ..
i bet mrs Davrok loves and feels so Safe on her nights out in bolton...
You cant even get my screen name right so dont try to preach about right or wrong.
Yes if I was dropping my wife off I would pull up somewhere near the venue and not in a car park. (Common sense)
BUT !!!!!!!!!!
If I decided to pull up somewhere that I wasnt allowed to stop then I would be taking a chance, and in taking that chance I would have to abide by the law, and pay the fine if caught.
My point is that you know you are doing wrong, so cant argue if you are caught out..
Mrs davroduk wouldnt ever go on a night out in Bolton cos its too dangerous, but thats a side issue.
You and others on here seem to be saying that its ok to break the law if it suits your purpose.
I am saying that if that is your belief then you cannot argue when caught and fined.
As happens on every story thread on here some brainless moron makes a personall comment against another poster, and congratulations on this occasion its you !!!!!
[quote][p][bold]ohboltonweloveu[/bold] wrote: in the world of Davrok ( who upholds the L A W ) ,,, when next dropping a passenger off,, find the nearest car park,, buy a pay & display ticket for £ 2.50 .. drop your passenger off , ( time taken 30 seconds MAX ) then say goodbye to your passenger - arrange another collectionin a Dodgy ulit - non cctv car park meeting ...Pay another £2.50 to collect your passenger .... oh my god ..its not rocket science zzzZZZzzzzZZZZzzzz .. i bet mrs Davrok loves and feels so Safe on her nights out in bolton...[/p][/quote]You cant even get my screen name right so dont try to preach about right or wrong. Yes if I was dropping my wife off I would pull up somewhere near the venue and not in a car park. (Common sense) BUT !!!!!!!!!! If I decided to pull up somewhere that I wasnt allowed to stop then I would be taking a chance, and in taking that chance I would have to abide by the law, and pay the fine if caught. My point is that you know you are doing wrong, so cant argue if you are caught out.. Mrs davroduk wouldnt ever go on a night out in Bolton cos its too dangerous, but thats a side issue. You and others on here seem to be saying that its ok to break the law if it suits your purpose. I am saying that if that is your belief then you cannot argue when caught and fined. As happens on every story thread on here some brainless moron makes a personall comment against another poster, and congratulations on this occasion its you !!!!! davroduk1
  • Score: 0

9:28pm Sun 27 Jan 13

ohboltonweloveu says...

if im a brainless moron,, then im glad im not in your neanderthal era..
Lighten up ,, chill out and make sure you dont drive over 30 mph Davorok... the smart car may be watching LOL
we are not saying its ok to break the law,, its your pathetic post that butter would not melt...and i can comment on what ever i want,,,especially yours .. as it has to be the worst ever
if im a brainless moron,, then im glad im not in your neanderthal era.. Lighten up ,, chill out and make sure you dont drive over 30 mph Davorok... the smart car may be watching LOL we are not saying its ok to break the law,, its your pathetic post that butter would not melt...and i can comment on what ever i want,,,especially yours .. as it has to be the worst ever ohboltonweloveu
  • Score: 0

9:31pm Sun 27 Jan 13

ohboltonweloveu says...

You cant even get my screen name right so dont try to preach about right or wrong.
Yes if I was dropping my wife off I would pull up somewhere near the venue and not in a car park. (Common sense)


LAW BREAKER !!!! so now you admit it ....hahahhahahaha
You cant even get my screen name right so dont try to preach about right or wrong. Yes if I was dropping my wife off I would pull up somewhere near the venue and not in a car park. (Common sense) LAW BREAKER !!!! so now you admit it ....hahahhahahaha ohboltonweloveu
  • Score: 0

9:39pm Sun 27 Jan 13

davroduk1 says...

Yeah Yeah I am Mr perfect, and preaching to the un washed masses.
I point you back to my previous post about a moron making it personall and rest my case,
Yeah Yeah I am Mr perfect, and preaching to the un washed masses. I point you back to my previous post about a moron making it personall and rest my case, davroduk1
  • Score: 0

9:44pm Sun 27 Jan 13

ohboltonweloveu says...

davrok,,,contradicti
on,,,,, some people actually care who;s in the car and there safety...no matter the fine... You are the moron,,
davrok,,,contradicti on,,,,, some people actually care who;s in the car and there safety...no matter the fine... You are the moron,, ohboltonweloveu
  • Score: 0

9:46pm Sun 27 Jan 13

davroduk1 says...

I take it you have been drinking ?????
I take it you have been drinking ????? davroduk1
  • Score: 0

9:47pm Sun 27 Jan 13

ohboltonweloveu says...

i Point u back to this cr@p you posted ......
davroduk1 wrote:
It seems to be a lot of people on here complaining that they only broke the law for a short period of time, and therfore it shouldnt count.
You broke the law.
You were caught breaking the law.
Pay the bloomin fine and dont do it again.
If someone broke into your house would you be happy for them to get off scott free if they claimed that they were only in your house for 15 seconds ?
No you bl00dy well wouldnt.
Dont break the law and you wont get a fine.
Its not flamin rocket science is it ???
I park up in an official car park and walk (no fine)
You decide that the rules dont apply to you and stop where you want (a fine.)
Basically thats it in a nutshell.
Use the bl00dy car parks.
i Point u back to this cr@p you posted ...... davroduk1 wrote: It seems to be a lot of people on here complaining that they only broke the law for a short period of time, and therfore it shouldnt count. You broke the law. You were caught breaking the law. Pay the bloomin fine and dont do it again. If someone broke into your house would you be happy for them to get off scott free if they claimed that they were only in your house for 15 seconds ? No you bl00dy well wouldnt. Dont break the law and you wont get a fine. Its not flamin rocket science is it ??? I park up in an official car park and walk (no fine) You decide that the rules dont apply to you and stop where you want (a fine.) Basically thats it in a nutshell. Use the bl00dy car parks. ohboltonweloveu
  • Score: 0

9:48pm Sun 27 Jan 13

ohboltonweloveu says...

sorry..... sober ,,i think you have
sorry..... sober ,,i think you have ohboltonweloveu
  • Score: 0

9:55pm Sun 27 Jan 13

davroduk1 says...

So my point that if you break the law you must accept the fine doesnt agree with your thinking. (Regardless of my law abiding or not)
You have just taken it upon yourself to decide that I am some silly person who doesnt deserve to post on a website.
A bit crazy dont you think ??
So my point that if you break the law you must accept the fine doesnt agree with your thinking. (Regardless of my law abiding or not) You have just taken it upon yourself to decide that I am some silly person who doesnt deserve to post on a website. A bit crazy dont you think ?? davroduk1
  • Score: 0

10:08pm Sun 27 Jan 13

ohboltonweloveu says...

i dont think that because we dont agree , neither am i a moran.
everyones opinion differs
i dont think that because we dont agree , neither am i a moran. everyones opinion differs ohboltonweloveu
  • Score: 0

11:09pm Sun 27 Jan 13

MarkAllRead says...

ohboltonweloveu wrote:
i dont think that because we dont agree , neither am i a moran.
everyones opinion differs
Amazing.
[quote][p][bold]ohboltonweloveu[/bold] wrote: i dont think that because we dont agree , neither am i a moran. everyones opinion differs[/p][/quote]Amazing. MarkAllRead
  • Score: 0

5:26am Mon 28 Jan 13

ARBEE says...

MORAN ??? Before you start knocking each other learn how to spell
you MORONS !!
MORAN ??? Before you start knocking each other learn how to spell you MORONS !! ARBEE
  • Score: 0

5:26am Mon 28 Jan 13

ARBEE says...

MORAN ??? Before you start knocking each other learn how to spell
you MORONS !!
MORAN ??? Before you start knocking each other learn how to spell you MORONS !! ARBEE
  • Score: 0

7:27am Mon 28 Jan 13

BigDave1985 says...

The place is full of scumbags and thats just the council!
The place is full of scumbags and thats just the council! BigDave1985
  • Score: 0

12:04pm Mon 28 Jan 13

Badvock says...

The "smart car" often parks illegally in Bromley cross to catch others who stop on the single yellow lines. After my wife received a fine for the same thing I tapped on the window next time I saw him and politely informed him that he too was parked illegally, he said he was on "council business so the same rules did not apply" beggars belief!
The "smart car" often parks illegally in Bromley cross to catch others who stop on the single yellow lines. After my wife received a fine for the same thing I tapped on the window next time I saw him and politely informed him that he too was parked illegally, he said he was on "council business so the same rules did not apply" beggars belief! Badvock
  • Score: 0

12:10pm Mon 28 Jan 13

degsey says...

i got ticket on halliwell road at 1825 pm you can park there at 1830 pm .Only went in to a shop for a paper
i got ticket on halliwell road at 1825 pm you can park there at 1830 pm .Only went in to a shop for a paper degsey
  • Score: 0

12:25pm Mon 28 Jan 13

brian jones says...

Bolton Council are well aware that they should not be using CCTV in areas where they also use CEOs or where they could use CEOs. CCTV should only be used where CEO enforcement is difficult or sensitive. They must not use both. If you receive a council PCN, you should always appeal it, or at least get on to the pepipoo website, so that someone can take a look at it for you. While the wording on their tickets is now correct (it wasn't until November 2010), not all of the lines and signs are correct. The council has to abide by the rules just like the motorist does, and if they do not, then they must not collect the penalty.
Bolton Council are well aware that they should not be using CCTV in areas where they also use CEOs or where they could use CEOs. CCTV should only be used where CEO enforcement is difficult or sensitive. They must not use both. If you receive a council PCN, you should always appeal it, or at least get on to the pepipoo website, so that someone can take a look at it for you. While the wording on their tickets is now correct (it wasn't until November 2010), not all of the lines and signs are correct. The council has to abide by the rules just like the motorist does, and if they do not, then they must not collect the penalty. brian jones
  • Score: 0

12:47pm Mon 28 Jan 13

cliff4treasurer says...

Are you listening Cliff? What does it take!!
Are you listening Cliff? What does it take!! cliff4treasurer
  • Score: 0

1:05pm Mon 28 Jan 13

berushka says...

I repeat that stopping for ten or fifteen seconds in an empty space, even if that space is intended for taxis , is hardly a crime and hurts no-one. What does hurt Bolton town centre is the brainless unemployed toilet cleaners they employ to issue traffic tickets. Some while ago I was stopping in a place that I had used umpteen times in the past, but having not been back to Bolton for many years, I was unaware that that particular street had become restricted. Before I could get out of my car, a toilet cleaner, sorry traffic thug, told me I could not park there. So I moved away and after a few minutes, stopped in another newly restricted street. You can' park here either, the same geezer said, who appeared out of nowhere. So off I went again in search of a legal parking space. Finally finding what I thought was a perfect spot, this moron appeared yet again and told me that if I turned off my engine, he would issue a fixed penalty. Realising that he was following me around, hoping to bag a car with a foreign number plate, I asked him where the nearest Police Station was, and he enquired why did I require the Police. I asked him to call a Constable while we waited by my car. A few moments later, a Police sergeant and a constable arrived. I told them about the three occasions that the same warden had appeared at my car, and they said this was illegal and that wardens must not stalk or harass drivers. The warden was told to return to his station and inform the duty sergeant why he had been removed from duty, and the very efficient and helpful Police Officers asked me to follow them and took me to a legal and convenient parking area. Have a good visit, they wished me. It was the first time in years that I had attempted to shop in Bolton town centre, and the last!
I repeat that stopping for ten or fifteen seconds in an empty space, even if that space is intended for taxis , is hardly a crime and hurts no-one. What does hurt Bolton town centre is the brainless unemployed toilet cleaners they employ to issue traffic tickets. Some while ago I was stopping in a place that I had used umpteen times in the past, but having not been back to Bolton for many years, I was unaware that that particular street had become restricted. Before I could get out of my car, a toilet cleaner, sorry traffic thug, told me I could not park there. So I moved away and after a few minutes, stopped in another newly restricted street. You can' park here either, the same geezer said, who appeared out of nowhere. So off I went again in search of a legal parking space. Finally finding what I thought was a perfect spot, this moron appeared yet again and told me that if I turned off my engine, he would issue a fixed penalty. Realising that he was following me around, hoping to bag a car with a foreign number plate, I asked him where the nearest Police Station was, and he enquired why did I require the Police. I asked him to call a Constable while we waited by my car. A few moments later, a Police sergeant and a constable arrived. I told them about the three occasions that the same warden had appeared at my car, and they said this was illegal and that wardens must not stalk or harass drivers. The warden was told to return to his station and inform the duty sergeant why he had been removed from duty, and the very efficient and helpful Police Officers asked me to follow them and took me to a legal and convenient parking area. Have a good visit, they wished me. It was the first time in years that I had attempted to shop in Bolton town centre, and the last! berushka
  • Score: 0

1:29pm Mon 28 Jan 13

Harry-Joe says...

Dont stop or Park where you are not allowed to, Simple!

Why people think its ok to stop in bus lanes, park on bends, park on double yellows or stop in taxi bays is a mystery.

YOUR NOT ALLOWED TO, SO DONT DO IT OR ELSE YOU WILL GET A FINE!!

Its cant really be any simpler and i am not exactly sure why this is a news story. Whats the next Story...

'Punching someone will result in a charge for assault'

Everyone always says oh its money making by the council. Well your the ones letting it happen. Dont give them the chance to make money out of you.
Dont stop or Park where you are not allowed to, Simple! Why people think its ok to stop in bus lanes, park on bends, park on double yellows or stop in taxi bays is a mystery. YOUR NOT ALLOWED TO, SO DONT DO IT OR ELSE YOU WILL GET A FINE!! Its cant really be any simpler and i am not exactly sure why this is a news story. Whats the next Story... 'Punching someone will result in a charge for assault' Everyone always says oh its money making by the council. Well your the ones letting it happen. Dont give them the chance to make money out of you. Harry-Joe
  • Score: 0

2:13pm Mon 28 Jan 13

brian jones says...

Harry-Joe - is OK for the council to not bother abiding by the rules when issuing penalty charge notices, in your opinion?
Harry-Joe - is OK for the council to not bother abiding by the rules when issuing penalty charge notices, in your opinion? brian jones
  • Score: 0

3:59pm Mon 28 Jan 13

Harry-Joe says...

No but they can't give you a ticket for parking or dropping people off where there are no restrictions.
No but they can't give you a ticket for parking or dropping people off where there are no restrictions. Harry-Joe
  • Score: 0

4:33pm Mon 28 Jan 13

Tel30 says...

degsey wrote:
i got ticket on halliwell road at 1825 pm you can park there at 1830 pm .Only went in to a shop for a paper
And I can imagine the smug smile on the warden's face.
[quote][p][bold]degsey[/bold] wrote: i got ticket on halliwell road at 1825 pm you can park there at 1830 pm .Only went in to a shop for a paper[/p][/quote]And I can imagine the smug smile on the warden's face. Tel30
  • Score: 0

4:55pm Mon 28 Jan 13

Don Kiddick says...

I'll just have a couple,
I'm still feeling fine,
I've not far to go,
And this bitter's sublime,
It doesn't apply, you see?
The law's for others, not me.

I'll park in disabled,
I'll park where I please,
I'll park on the hatchings,
and f**k the signs' pleas.
It doesn't apply, you see?
The law's for others, not me.

I'll chat on my phone,
As i drive through the rain,
The killing of innocents,
My claim to fame.
It doesn't apply, you see?
The law's for others, not me.

I'll travel at fifty,
To get to my post,
The sign may say thirty,
But I an better than most.
It doesn't apply, you see?
The law's for others, not me.

You looked at me wrong,
So you're goin' down,
You'll pay with your life,
For that harmless frown.
It doesn't apply, you see?
The law's for others, not me.

I'll snuff out your life,
And the life of your infants,
You mean nothing to me,
'Cos I'm so important.
So it doesn't apply, you see?
The law's for other's, NOT ME.
I'll just have a couple, I'm still feeling fine, I've not far to go, And this bitter's sublime, It doesn't apply, you see? The law's for others, not me. I'll park in disabled, I'll park where I please, I'll park on the hatchings, and f**k the signs' pleas. It doesn't apply, you see? The law's for others, not me. I'll chat on my phone, As i drive through the rain, The killing of innocents, My claim to fame. It doesn't apply, you see? The law's for others, not me. I'll travel at fifty, To get to my post, The sign may say thirty, But I an better than most. It doesn't apply, you see? The law's for others, not me. You looked at me wrong, So you're goin' down, You'll pay with your life, For that harmless frown. It doesn't apply, you see? The law's for others, not me. I'll snuff out your life, And the life of your infants, You mean nothing to me, 'Cos I'm so important. So it doesn't apply, you see? The law's for other's, NOT ME. Don Kiddick
  • Score: 0

5:06pm Mon 28 Jan 13

littlebugs says...

Simple don't park there = no fine. Clearly says taxi rank and clearly says trafficcamera eenforcement
Simple don't park there = no fine. Clearly says taxi rank and clearly says trafficcamera eenforcement littlebugs
  • Score: 0

5:09pm Mon 28 Jan 13

Citizen Cane says...

The fines are inherently unfair on decent people. A scumbag can park without limit in taxi ranks and NEVER pay a penny with just a few simple tricks that cost no more than £20.

Do a freedom of information request on Bolton council on the recovery rate of fines - it'll be pretty poor. Only decent folk pay.
The fines are inherently unfair on decent people. A scumbag can park without limit in taxi ranks and NEVER pay a penny with just a few simple tricks that cost no more than £20. Do a freedom of information request on Bolton council on the recovery rate of fines - it'll be pretty poor. Only decent folk pay. Citizen Cane
  • Score: 0

5:11pm Mon 28 Jan 13

brian jones says...

The point is that there are rules and regulations set down not only for the motorist (about where they are and are not allowed to stop), but also for the council about how they should enforce penalties, how they should mark and sign the areas they wish to enforce in, and how they set out their penalty notices. It's not difficult for them - there's a manual. However, just like the motorist they make mistakes. And if they do, then their notices are unenforceable. It really is as simple as that. You say 'they can't give you a ticket where there are no restrictions'. You are right. And if the signs and lines are wrong, there ARE no restrictions. See?
The point is that there are rules and regulations set down not only for the motorist (about where they are and are not allowed to stop), but also for the council about how they should enforce penalties, how they should mark and sign the areas they wish to enforce in, and how they set out their penalty notices. It's not difficult for them - there's a manual. However, just like the motorist they make mistakes. And if they do, then their notices are unenforceable. It really is as simple as that. You say 'they can't give you a ticket where there are no restrictions'. You are right. And if the signs and lines are wrong, there ARE no restrictions. See? brian jones
  • Score: 0

5:13pm Mon 28 Jan 13

brian jones says...

Littlebugs - in a lot of the places where they say there is camera enforcement, they also use CEOs. But they are not allowed to; that's what the rules say.
Littlebugs - in a lot of the places where they say there is camera enforcement, they also use CEOs. But they are not allowed to; that's what the rules say. brian jones
  • Score: 0

5:26pm Mon 28 Jan 13

marco999 says...

Whilst I feel sorry for the people who, after stopping for just a few seconds in a taxi rank, go on to get fined for the manoeuvre, I can also see the councils point of view – where is the line drawn? I don’t think it is a money making scheme at all but rather a simple enforcement of a penalty for people who choose to ignore its clearly sign-posted warnings. We must face the truth, if there were no traffic laws or restrictions, people would simply park wherever they liked and would have no concern about the consequences of blocking the road or causing an obstruction. A lot of drivers wouldn’t give a hoot for other motorists just as long as they could park as close as possible to where they needed to go. Just look at how many people abuse bus lanes, disabled parking spaces, parent and child parking spaces. Look at how many people stop on yellow lines (usually displaying hazard warning lights) to drop people off, pick people up or stop to use cash machines / shops/ takeaways – the list is endless. The council has to be seen to be enforcing its parking penalties, simple as that. However, the question of making more parking spaces, providing cheaper parking, and making more drop off points is a different matter altogether.
Whilst I feel sorry for the people who, after stopping for just a few seconds in a taxi rank, go on to get fined for the manoeuvre, I can also see the councils point of view – where is the line drawn? I don’t think it is a money making scheme at all but rather a simple enforcement of a penalty for people who choose to ignore its clearly sign-posted warnings. We must face the truth, if there were no traffic laws or restrictions, people would simply park wherever they liked and would have no concern about the consequences of blocking the road or causing an obstruction. A lot of drivers wouldn’t give a hoot for other motorists just as long as they could park as close as possible to where they needed to go. Just look at how many people abuse bus lanes, disabled parking spaces, parent and child parking spaces. Look at how many people stop on yellow lines (usually displaying hazard warning lights) to drop people off, pick people up or stop to use cash machines / shops/ takeaways – the list is endless. The council has to be seen to be enforcing its parking penalties, simple as that. However, the question of making more parking spaces, providing cheaper parking, and making more drop off points is a different matter altogether. marco999
  • Score: 0

5:59pm Mon 28 Jan 13

pstuart says...

marco999 wrote:
Whilst I feel sorry for the people who, after stopping for just a few seconds in a taxi rank, go on to get fined for the manoeuvre, I can also see the councils point of view – where is the line drawn? I don’t think it is a money making scheme at all but rather a simple enforcement of a penalty for people who choose to ignore its clearly sign-posted warnings. We must face the truth, if there were no traffic laws or restrictions, people would simply park wherever they liked and would have no concern about the consequences of blocking the road or causing an obstruction. A lot of drivers wouldn’t give a hoot for other motorists just as long as they could park as close as possible to where they needed to go. Just look at how many people abuse bus lanes, disabled parking spaces, parent and child parking spaces. Look at how many people stop on yellow lines (usually displaying hazard warning lights) to drop people off, pick people up or stop to use cash machines / shops/ takeaways – the list is endless. The council has to be seen to be enforcing its parking penalties, simple as that. However, the question of making more parking spaces, providing cheaper parking, and making more drop off points is a different matter altogether.
Gone off the original thread here.

The point that most people are trying to make is that the enforcrment officers only gather round the easy feeding places, some of which the signage is either misleading or illegal (Queen St. - permit only?)

Lurking around the Court car parks is just disgraceful, they know that people can be delayed in the Town Hall and the Courts, its not as though there are long lines of traffic waiting to park - people only go into Bolton Town centre if they have to - the Council have seen to that.
[quote][p][bold]marco999[/bold] wrote: Whilst I feel sorry for the people who, after stopping for just a few seconds in a taxi rank, go on to get fined for the manoeuvre, I can also see the councils point of view – where is the line drawn? I don’t think it is a money making scheme at all but rather a simple enforcement of a penalty for people who choose to ignore its clearly sign-posted warnings. We must face the truth, if there were no traffic laws or restrictions, people would simply park wherever they liked and would have no concern about the consequences of blocking the road or causing an obstruction. A lot of drivers wouldn’t give a hoot for other motorists just as long as they could park as close as possible to where they needed to go. Just look at how many people abuse bus lanes, disabled parking spaces, parent and child parking spaces. Look at how many people stop on yellow lines (usually displaying hazard warning lights) to drop people off, pick people up or stop to use cash machines / shops/ takeaways – the list is endless. The council has to be seen to be enforcing its parking penalties, simple as that. However, the question of making more parking spaces, providing cheaper parking, and making more drop off points is a different matter altogether.[/p][/quote]Gone off the original thread here. The point that most people are trying to make is that the enforcrment officers only gather round the easy feeding places, some of which the signage is either misleading or illegal (Queen St. - permit only?) Lurking around the Court car parks is just disgraceful, they know that people can be delayed in the Town Hall and the Courts, its not as though there are long lines of traffic waiting to park - people only go into Bolton Town centre if they have to - the Council have seen to that. pstuart
  • Score: 0

9:49pm Mon 28 Jan 13

colournature says...

in the future we might have cars that techincally are designed to fold away and put in your shopping bag until your ready to go home - until then i walk or get the bus - although i dont get the bus on saturdays, mondays, tuesdays or thursdays as its full of old people
in the future we might have cars that techincally are designed to fold away and put in your shopping bag until your ready to go home - until then i walk or get the bus - although i dont get the bus on saturdays, mondays, tuesdays or thursdays as its full of old people colournature
  • Score: 0

10:22pm Mon 28 Jan 13

Don Kiddick says...

Bloody old people, they're everywhere aren't they ! always clogging the tills at lunchtimes paying for the raft of reduced price goods so people who actually work for a living can't get their lunch, they always try and give the right change no matter how long it takes and always smell of wee. and no-ones going to tell me they don't steal clippings from garden centres - because i've seen the light fingered old dears in action. Yeh, things really aren't like they used to be are they - now they have those soddin battery powered golf karts to bugger about with ! and viagra ! yeh, after spending years knocking the youth for using recreational drugs - the old batallion are walking around with flagpoles in their Burtons. Talk about double standards!
Bloody old people, they're everywhere aren't they ! always clogging the tills at lunchtimes paying for the raft of reduced price goods so people who actually work for a living can't get their lunch, they always try and give the right change no matter how long it takes and always smell of wee. and no-ones going to tell me they don't steal clippings from garden centres - because i've seen the light fingered old dears in action. Yeh, things really aren't like they used to be are they - now they have those soddin battery powered golf karts to bugger about with ! and viagra ! yeh, after spending years knocking the youth for using recreational drugs - the old batallion are walking around with flagpoles in their Burtons. Talk about double standards! Don Kiddick
  • Score: 0

10:38am Tue 29 Jan 13

KeepPosting ! says...

ohboltonweloveu wrote:
i Point u back to this cr@p you posted ......
davroduk1 wrote:
It seems to be a lot of people on here complaining that they only broke the law for a short period of time, and therfore it shouldnt count.
You broke the law.
You were caught breaking the law.
Pay the bloomin fine and dont do it again.
If someone broke into your house would you be happy for them to get off scott free if they claimed that they were only in your house for 15 seconds ?
No you bl00dy well wouldnt.
Dont break the law and you wont get a fine.
Its not flamin rocket science is it ???
I park up in an official car park and walk (no fine)
You decide that the rules dont apply to you and stop where you want (a fine.)
Basically thats it in a nutshell.
Use the bl00dy car parks.
Spot on and as a member of Bolton’s Institute of Advanced Motorists shouldn't he not only have known better but set an example ?
[quote][p][bold]ohboltonweloveu[/bold] wrote: i Point u back to this cr@p you posted ...... davroduk1 wrote: It seems to be a lot of people on here complaining that they only broke the law for a short period of time, and therfore it shouldnt count. You broke the law. You were caught breaking the law. Pay the bloomin fine and dont do it again. If someone broke into your house would you be happy for them to get off scott free if they claimed that they were only in your house for 15 seconds ? No you bl00dy well wouldnt. Dont break the law and you wont get a fine. Its not flamin rocket science is it ??? I park up in an official car park and walk (no fine) You decide that the rules dont apply to you and stop where you want (a fine.) Basically thats it in a nutshell. Use the bl00dy car parks.[/p][/quote]Spot on and as a member of Bolton’s Institute of Advanced Motorists shouldn't he not only have known better but set an example ? KeepPosting !
  • Score: -1

11:34am Tue 29 Jan 13

yonmons says...

No one will convince me that this "enforcement" is no more than revenue generation for Bolton Council. They have been at it years since parking regulations were de regulated, and they took over enforcement from the Police. A successful year to them is more drivers prosecuted. Where as if they were doing a good job the figures of tickets issued should be going down.
No one will convince me that this "enforcement" is no more than revenue generation for Bolton Council. They have been at it years since parking regulations were de regulated, and they took over enforcement from the Police. A successful year to them is more drivers prosecuted. Where as if they were doing a good job the figures of tickets issued should be going down. yonmons
  • Score: 0

12:58pm Tue 29 Jan 13

DaveLister says...

pecky2k wrote:
I recently visited Swinton. They have loads of parking spaces with 2 hours free parking, just press a button, get the ticket, put it in the window and off I went. Why cant Bolton a similar scheme to bring shoppers into the town centre instead of driving them away to retail parks that offer free parking. Bolton is succumbing to failure, where all the shops are struggling to stay afloat. Short term free parking would perhaps have offered those affected in this report by giving them the opportunity to park up and collect whatever they needed, and in doing so may have also prompted them to a few impulse purchases that would be bringing extra legitimate revenue into the town and in turn could reverse the towns dying trend into one where the town could become proud again. May I also add that the "Smart" warden was parked in a loading bay recently to observe these offenders. What were they actually loading, oh yes that's it, they were loading the councils bank accounts. The council "Smart" warden should also get a ticket!
pecky2k, the council can't do what you suggested as they have sold off all the parking in the stupid deal with NCP, they cannot create a free parking in Bolton at all.

We never bother going into Bolton any more we go to Trafford Centre, there is lots of free parking, lots of shops, and its no more expensive than Bolton.

Councilor Morris has done a great job of killing off Bolton. I can only hope he doesnt get re-elected, but I hold out no hope the people of his ward will vote for anything with a red rosette
[quote][p][bold]pecky2k[/bold] wrote: I recently visited Swinton. They have loads of parking spaces with 2 hours free parking, just press a button, get the ticket, put it in the window and off I went. Why cant Bolton a similar scheme to bring shoppers into the town centre instead of driving them away to retail parks that offer free parking. Bolton is succumbing to failure, where all the shops are struggling to stay afloat. Short term free parking would perhaps have offered those affected in this report by giving them the opportunity to park up and collect whatever they needed, and in doing so may have also prompted them to a few impulse purchases that would be bringing extra legitimate revenue into the town and in turn could reverse the towns dying trend into one where the town could become proud again. May I also add that the "Smart" warden was parked in a loading bay recently to observe these offenders. What were they actually loading, oh yes that's it, they were loading the councils bank accounts. The council "Smart" warden should also get a ticket![/p][/quote]pecky2k, the council can't do what you suggested as they have sold off all the parking in the stupid deal with NCP, they cannot create a free parking in Bolton at all. We never bother going into Bolton any more we go to Trafford Centre, there is lots of free parking, lots of shops, and its no more expensive than Bolton. Councilor Morris has done a great job of killing off Bolton. I can only hope he doesnt get re-elected, but I hold out no hope the people of his ward will vote for anything with a red rosette DaveLister
  • Score: 0

12:06am Fri 1 Feb 13

iseethings says...

As long as Clifford Morris is around..and has his grubby little fingers in everything...god help Bolton
As long as Clifford Morris is around..and has his grubby little fingers in everything...god help Bolton iseethings
  • Score: 0

12:15am Fri 1 Feb 13

iseethings says...

he forgets were he was dragged up from..always had a snotty nose as a kid..pushing a dolls pram around...lol
he forgets were he was dragged up from..always had a snotty nose as a kid..pushing a dolls pram around...lol iseethings
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree