Hospital lifts ban on visiting
9:30am Tuesday 5th February 2013 in News
n VISITING has returned to normal at the Royal Bolton Hospital.
Restrictions had been in place since before Christmas to prevent the spread of the winter vomiting bug norovirus.
At first, children were banned and adults were limited to two per bed. Between January 18 and January 29, visitors were banned completely, apart from in “exceptional circumstances”.
Last Tuesday, the ban was downgraded to one named visitor per bed, but no children and yesterday it was lifted completely.
Visitors are still asked not to come to the hospital if they have had symptoms, including diarrhoea and vomiting in the past 48 hours, or if they have been in touch with anyone with symptoms. They are also reminded to adhere to good hand hygiene.
There are still suspected cases of norovirus at the hospital.
A number of bays on a different ward are closed to admissions after patients developed symptoms similar to norovirus. There are visiting restrictions on the bays affected by the bug.
Julie Dziobon, matron for infection control at the Trust, said the situation had improved greatly over recent days.
She said: “Restricting visiting was not a decision we took lightly and we apologise for any concern and inconvenience. It has helped us to prevent the spread of norovirus considerably and we’d like to thank everyone for this.
“We do, however, all need to remain vigilant.”
Comments are closed on this article.