A PODIATRIST appeared before a disciplinary committee after a string of allegations were made against him — including making a false entry on a form recording that he had treated a patient who had died months earlier.

Peter Collins, who worked for NHS Bolton, appeared before the Health and Care Professions Council conduct and competence committee accused of not providing prompt treatment to three patients at the Waters Meeting Health Centre on two dates in late 2009.

He is also accused of being “disrespectful, sarcastic, unfriendly and/or abrupt” to four patients and it is alleged he did not properly account for his time on 11 separate dates between April and October, 2009.

Mr Collins denied the allegations.

There are also 32 allegations that Mr Collins did not keep accurate or up-to-date patients’ records between April and November, 2009.

It is alleged that on August 12, 2009, he made a false entry on Patient HH CS1 form, in that he recorded that he had treated the patient that day when in fact the patient had died on April 29.

The panel, sitting at the Hilton Hotel in Manchester, heard that he accepted his record keeping fell short of the standards.

Mr Collins’ representative, Kate Stone, said: “He was suffering from depression. He had personal circumstances that were challenging. That explains falling short in respect of record keeping.”

With reference to the CS1 form, the panel were told this was made in error on what was described as a tick box form and that it “did not suggest treatment took place”.

She added that failure in record keeping did not mean he failed to account for his time.

But the panel was told concerns had previously been raised about Mr Collins, who had been told to be more approachable to patients.

NHS Bolton sacked the practitioner following an investigation into these allegations.

Last month, The Bolton News reported that Mr Collins, of Ashton-in-Makerfield, was given a nine-month sentence, suspended for two years, and a 12-month supervision order after admitting a charge of affray.

Bolton Crown Court heard he had pinned his now estranged wife to a wall at her Tonge Fold Home, held a knife to her throat and threatened to kill her.