‘Smoke alarms vital’ after chip pan fire
8:51am Friday 22nd February 2013 in News
FIREFIGHTERS are highlighting the importance of smoke alarms after a blaze at a Bolton house.
A fire broke out in a chip pan at 5pm on Tuesday when an 85-year-old man left it unattended. He was alerted by a smoke alarm and a neighbour, who saw smoke coming from the kitchen.
Crews from Bolton Central fire station were called to the house in Radcliffe Road, The Haulgh, and put out the fire.
It damaged the oven, cooker hood and kitchen worktop.
The man was leaving the house as firefighters arrived and was given oxygen after suffering from smoke inhalation. He was taken to Royal Bolton Hospital for a check-up.
Karsten Boyle, watch manager, said: “The man was responding to a smoke alarm he heard going off in his house. It’s very important to have smoke alarms. If he didn’t have one, it could have been much worse.”
He also urged people to use thermostat-controlled chip pans.