PASSENGERS were left “terrified” after bricks were thrown through the windows of two buses as they travelled through Bolton and Bury.

The buses, both run by First Bus, were targeted by yobs in separate incidents within the space of two hours on Friday.

The No.8 travelling between Manchester and Bolton was attacked first at around 7pm in Bolton Road, Kearsley.

A passenger on the bus, which had 10 passengers on board, said he was “shocked” at the incident. The man, who asked not to be named, said the brick bounced off a window close to where two pensioners were sitting and caused the glass to shatter.

At around 8.40pm, several bricks were thrown through the windows of the No.98 heading from Bury to Manchester as it travelled near Whitehead Park in Ainsworth Road.

A number of large bricks were hurled at the bus, smashing several windows and they narrowly missed striking some of the seven passengers.

Mark Isherwood, aged 28, who was travelling to Radcliffe on the bus, said everybody was “badly shaken”. He said: “The bus had only just left and I was reading a newspaper and had my arm against the window.

“I heard several loud bangs and felt the force of the impact on my arm.

“A young girl was sitting in front of me and the brick was just inches from her head. The windows were just completely smashed.

“The driver turned round and said he would drive until he got to a safe place, then he stopped the bus and came to check that everyone was okay.

“Everybody was in shock, it was very frightening.”

Mr Isherwood said the passengers included three teenagers and an elderly man. They were transferred to a different bus and the damaged bus was taken out of service.

He added: “The young girl was in a state of shock, she could hardly talk and was being reassured by the bus driver that everything was okay. She just wanted to go home.”

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Police said both incidents were being investigated and inquiries were ongoing.

There were no reports of injuries to any of the passengers.

Police believe the second bus was attacked by youths wearing tracksuits and hoodies and anyone with information is asked to call 101.