Homes evacuated after gas cylinder blaze
8:52am Monday 4th March 2013 in News
POLICE evacuated 100 homes in Bury after a fire involving a gas cylinder prompted fears of an explosion.
Firefighters were called to a house in Radcliffe Road, Redvales, at just after 3pm on Saturday where they found a fire involving an uncontrolled leak in an acetylene cylinder, which had ignited.
A 50-metre cordon was set up and residents were given shelter at nearby Radcliffe Road Baptist Church.
The British Red Cross arrived with supplies while the cylinder was made safe, but residents had been allowed back into their homes by 7.45pm.
Bury councillor Tamoor Tariq went to the scene following calls from concerned residents.
He said: “I think the whole incident was handled brilliantly and I’d like to place on record my thanks to all of the emergency services for the outstanding job they did.”