Tributes to Chris Goodwin who died after taking drugs
TRIBUTES have been paid to an amateur football player who died after taking drugs.
Police say the father-of-one had taken a cocktail of alcohol, amphetamines and “bubble”.
Officers are now waiting for toxicology results.
Rob Jones, vice chairman of Daten FC, where Mr Goodwin played, paid tribute to “a character who was full of life”.
He said: “He was a real character, and you certainly knew when he was around.
“He was a very nice lad who got involved with fundraising around the club.
“It’s just a complete shock for everybody.”
Mr Goodwin began playing at the club in Charnock Road in 2009.
The former Birchwood High School pupil was signed on for the current season, but had not been seen for several months.
His young son used to watch him play, according to Mr Jones who said: “He was always prepared to play anywhere and give 100 per cent.
“I remember one game when he started in midfield, moved to centre back but ended up in goal.
“He tried to give as good in midfield as he did in goal.
“Chris got on with all the lads and was a hub for them in the team.
“He will be sadly missed and we feel very sorry for his family.” There was never any indication of that sort of thing going on when Chris was at the club,” he added.
A spokesman said: “The school is always very sad to hear when a former learner dies and our condolences go out to the family.”
- THE Bolton News reported that Emma Johnson, who also died on Sunday after taking a cocktail of drugs and alcohol, was believed to have a child. This is not correct and the paper wishes to apologise for the error.
Comments are closed on this article.