Parents of tragic Oscar Brandwood raise £2,700 for hospital that treated him
THE parents of a newborn baby who died because of a rare condition that meant he could not digest his mother’s milk have raised £2,700 for the hospital that cared for him.
Little Oscar Brandwood was only 13 days old when he died because of galactosemia, which meant that he was effectively being poisoned by his mother’s milk.
Parents Andy and Stacey Brandwood have since campaigned to raise awareness about the condition and to fundraise for charities.
The couple, along with daughter Heidi, three, and family and friends, have raised £2,667 for the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital.
Mr Brandwood, aged 32, from Lostock, said: “We had a charity night themed ‘A Night at the Oscars’ where we got people to come along to a night of entertainment dressed to impress.
“The Manchester Children’s Hospital charity came to collect the cheque, which we handed over last week.
“Since Oscar died we have had letters from all over the world, as far as New Zealand, telling us that their child has the same condition.”
Baby Oscar was born on July 27 last year — and died on August 8, so the family decided to host their charity event on the night that would have been his first birthday.
Mr Brandwood said: “It was a really emotional day for us all but we just wanted to get all our family and friends together and celebrate his memory.”
Comments are closed on this article.