A GRANDFATHER has died after being beaten in his own home.

Frank Worsley, aged 87, suffered a stroke and a bleed to the brain when he was attacked in his terraced home in Longfield Road, Daubhill, at about 12.40am on August 3.

He had been in the Royal Bolton Hospital ever since and died on Tuesday afternoon.

In a statement, his family said: "Frank was a loving father to Steven and Catherine, grandfather to Karen and Michael. He was also a father-in-law, brother-in-law and a friend to many.

"Frank fought in the Second World. He was in the Royal Navy Medical Corps and had written about his time on board various war ships, giving his family a snippet of how life was during the war.

"He was married to Mary, who sadly passed away in September 2012 having suffered for many years with Multiple Scoliosis. They had been married for 62 years and received a message from the Queen when they celebrated the 60th Wedding Anniversary.

"Frank loved Amateur Operatics and used to perform with a group at St Marks Church (which no longer exists). Frank was also a Founder of the Youth Club at the Church.

"He was also involved with St Bedes Church, where he was a Sunday School Teacher and also organised trips and parties. He was also a regular speaker at the local Women's Institute, giving talks on various subjects.

"On leaving the navy, Frank worked at the Co-Operative Society in the Grocery Department, followed by a job with Scholes & Scholes, the gents⿿ outfitters, and then moved onto Hoover as a Planning Clerk. He went on to take early retirement at the age of 63, to become full-time carer for his wife.

"He was an all-round good guy. Frank was very popular in the community and would chat and help out anybody he could. He will be sadly missed by his family and friends."

Mr Worsley’s neighbours have described him as a “true gentleman”.

A 82-year-old woman, who lived on the same road as Mr Worsley for more than 40 years, said: “I look at his house now and it could break my heart. He shouldn’t have gone like this. We used to have a laugh and I will remember him that way. Before he was attacked he was laughing with me saying he had two wheelchairs in his house, which were his wife’s, and if I wanted one I could take my pick. I would have a bit of fun with him.

“He was a sociable man and a gentleman. He always looked after his wife, Mary until she died. His children told me he died peacefully.”

Mr Worsley's wife, Mary, suffered from multiple sclerosis and he had nursed and cared for her for 25 years until her death last September.

They had two children together, Steven and Catherine, and were also grandparents.

Mr Worsley is believed to have worked in retail before his retirement and was said by neighbours to have managed a Co-operative store and a men’s clothes store in Bolton.

Another Longfield Road neighbour, who asked not to be named, said: “I have lived on the road for 13 years and I have known him for as long as I have lived here.

“He used to say hello when he was taking his wife Mary, who used a wheelchair, out for walks. He was lovely, he was a very proud man and always had time to talk to children. He knew my son liked animals so at Christmas he would come around with goodies, bags of books and other things for my little boy.

“He would give his football supplements to kids who liked football.”

Another neighbour, a woman, aged 44, said despite Mr Worsley not supporting Manchester United he would buy her son football club themed gifts at Christmas.

She said: “He treated the kids every Christmas. When his wife was alive she would have children’s meals and he would keep the toys and give them to children.

“He will be sadly missed. He would come round on Christmas Day and at Easter with chocolates. He really was a lovely gentleman and always looked after the kids. My son is 14 and what happened to Frank has hit him quite badly.”

Mr Worsley was active in his local church, St Bede's in Morris Green, until his wife's illness meant Reverend Malcolm Bristow would visit their home to give communion.

Mr Bristow, assistant curate at St Bede's, said: “The church has been praying for Frank and people have been asking how he is. He was cared for and an active Christian in his life.

“He was dedicated to his church and his wife and his faith. He was a solid guy, he was a dependable sort of guy.

“Whenever anything like this happens in a local community, people are shocked and concerned and worried.

“It's a sad enough time when somebody loses a loved one at whatever age, but when a loved one is lost in tragic circumstances such as this, it just intensifies the situation. It is extremely sad.”

A post-mortem examination took place yesterday (WED) to establish the cause of death. The cause is not yet known.

Police continue to investigate and encouraged people with information to come forward.

Senior investigating officer Andy Tattersall, from Greater Manchester Police's Major Incident Team, said: “Our thoughts and sympathies go out to Frank's family at this devastating time for them, after he sadly passed away in hospital yesterday. We will do all we can to support them.

"Our investigation into this case is ongoing and we are appealing for anyone that may have seen a suspicious person or vehicle in the Longfield Road area of Bolton in the early hours of Saturday 3 August to contact us."

• Daniel Crompton, 24, of no fixed address, has been charged with robbery in connection with the incident. He will appear at Bolton Crown Court tomorrow (FRI).

Anyone with information is asked to call police on 0161 856 2448 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.