Record numbers visit Bolton Food and Drink Festival
RECORD numbers of people are thought to have visited this year’s Bolton Food and Drink Festival.
Council chiefs and event organisers are hoping the number of foodies flocking to the town will have topped last year’s figures of 100,000 visitors.
Keith Davies, director of development and regeneration at Bolton Council, said he hoped the eighth Bolton Food and Drink festival had been the most successful yet.
He added: “The feedback so far has been really positive. It feels like has been a real celebration all weekend. Plus we have been very lucky with the weather.
“We don’t know the official figures yet but everyone has been saying it feels busier than last year. The streets have been absolutely packed.
“As I’ve walked round, I could here stallholders on their phones asking for more stock. If that’s anything to go by, it must have been busy.”
The annual event has also been praised for its boost to the town’s economy and tourism.
Mr Davies said: “It’s a really positive event and is what Bolton is all about. It benefits our economy and brings more people to the town. What better way to celebrate the best of Bolton than through food and drink?”
Last year’s event was a record breaker with about 100,000 people getting involved in events ranging from live demos by celebrity chefs, to sampling locally brewed ales and tasting food from all over the globe.
This year’s celebrities included The Great British Bake Off’s Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry, Aldo Zilli and Saturday Kitchen Live’s James Martin.
Earlier this year Bolton Council rubber-stamped a new town centre strategy, which will reshape the future of the town.
It will shrink the size of the shopping area and try to entice more “quality” and family-focussed restaurants and food outlets.
Council bosses hope the continued success of the festival will play a part in attracting new businesses to the town.
Comments are closed on this article.