Takeaway boss fined for "filthy" restaurant
9:00am Friday 20th September 2013 in News
A JUDGE has slammed the “dangerous” and filthy condition of a takeaway.
Darius Zabhi, aged 24, was charged with 27 offences of breaching hygiene regulations at Little Italy, at 333 Wigan Road.
Dirty equipment, filthy chillers, floors, sinks and a toilet were all found by council inspectors.
Prosecuting QC Rosalind Emsley-Smith told Bolton Crown Court yesterday (THUR) a council environmental health inspector visited Little Italy on March 6, last year, and found staff were not wearing protective clothing, there no soap and raw donner meat was placed above cooked meat in a freezer heightening the dangers of cross bacterial contamination.
Ms Emsley-Smith: "Previous advice from the inspector had been ignored and at that visit they gave the premises a score of zero for its hygiene."
The floor was strewn with open tubs of herbs, a margarine tub had fallen into a larger container of sauce in a chiller, the pizza trays were greasy and there were gaps between some the working surfaces.
Mr Zabhi had promised to deep clean the premises but by April 16, 2012, there were still problems when officers carried out a follow up inspection.
On April 19, the inspector were told Mr Zabhi had left the business and by May 22 the inspector was told he was no longer operating it.
Zabhi was declared bankrupt last year and the family had had to pay off £20,000 of his debts.
He told the court: "Since then, I have gone back to college and have completed a course in health and hygiene with the aim of becoming a baker.
"Unfortunately I was very stupid and when I had problems I put my head in the sand because I was petrified of telling anybody."
Zabhi was ordered to pay Bolton Council's legal costs of £2,558 and was fined £5 for each offence, a total of £135.
Judge Timothy Stead said: "I want to make it plain that the fines are much smaller than what would normally be appropriate in these very serious circumstances."
Cllr Nick Peel, executive cabinet member for environment said: “Bolton Council will continue to take appropriate enforcement action against any operators who contravene food safety legislation and put the publics’ health at risk. It is important to note that the vast majority of food businesses in Bolton have very high food hygiene standards.”