Seven-year-old girl left with serious burns after nightdress catches fire
A SEVEN-year-old girl suffered serious burns after her nightdress caught fire.
The youngster was standing close to a gas fire at her family’s home in Settle Street, Great Lever, this morning, when her clothes set on fire.
Firefighters from Bolton Central fire station were called to the address at about 8.15am.
The girl was taken by ambulance to Manchester Children’s Hospital, where she was admitted to the burns unit.
Although the gas fire had a protective guard, the girl’s nylon nightie was higly flammable, and set on fire “through the guard”, firefighters said.
The fire service said it would be spreaking to residents in the area today, warning them how to protect themselves from fire.
Station manager Steve Parkinson said: “The young girl was standing too close to a gas fire in the lounge and although the fire had a protective grill around it — the nylon dress she was wearing was highly flammable and the heat from the fire caused it to set on fire through the guard.
“She suffered around 20 per cent burns and this could have been greatly reduced had she known what to do if her clothes caught on fire.”
The fire service says that in this situation people should stop what they are doing, drop to the ground, and roll about — stop, drop and roll.
Mr Parkinson added: “Our teams will be working with our partners to get this message out to the community — visiting homes and schools and working with BCoM to introduce important fire safety messages at Friday prayers.”
Neighbours reacted with shock at the incident last night. It is understood the girl’s parents are with her at the hospital.
The fire service recently produced a video aimed at educating young people about "stop, drop and roll", which you can watch here:
Comments are closed on this article.