University pays tribute to Heaton triple fire death mum
Early indications from a post-mortem examination suggest the elderly woman died from smoke inhalation and burns.
Police are now waiting for toxicology results to establish a final cause of death.
The university said it was “deeply saddened” to hear of the sudden death of the first-year law student, who also worked at Next in Bolton.
Mrs Rafie’s younger son, Arash, is studying medicine at another university, while her eldest son, Ommid, is believed to be a doctor in Preston.
University of Bolton vice chancellor, Prof George Holmes, said students would be offered counselling following the tragedy.
He added: “We are deeply saddened to hear of the death of our law student, Mahnaz Rafie, known to us as ‘Mona’, who died in the early hours of Monday morning.
“We send our deepest condolences to her surviving family and the students here who knew her.
“Our counselling and chaplaincy services are here for our students and anyone wanting support should contact Student Services.”
Police are treating the fire as suspicious and say they are not looking for anyone else in connection with the blaze.
They have confirmed that murder and suicide is one line of inquiry.
It is understood that police are finding it hard to formally identify the other two victims, given the severity of their burns, and may ultimately be forced to rely on dental records.
Comments are closed on this article.