Heaton fire death mum had to be identified by dental records

The Bolton News: The house in Albert Road West where Mrs Rafie was killed The house in Albert Road West where Mrs Rafie was killed

A WOMAN whose body was found with stab wounds after a house blaze could only be identified by dental records, a court has heard.

The details were revealed at the opening of an inquest into the death of Mahnaz Rafie, aged 48.

She was found dead along with her husband, Hassan Rafie, aged 49, in the kitchen of their home in Albert Road West, Heaton, in the early hours of December 9.

Her mother, Dolleh Joseph, aged 74, was rescued from an upstairs bedroom but was pronounced dead at hospital.

Greater Manchester West coroner Alan Walsh opened the inquest into Mrs Rafie’s death yesterday.

Coroner’s officer Raymond Sherlock confirmed the body of Mrs Rafie could not be identified until after her dental records were reviewed at Royal Oldham Hospital on Thursday, December 12.

Bolton Coroners Court heard a pathologist found Mrs Rafie had died from multiple stab wounds.

Mrs Rafie’s occupation was confirmed as being a trainee lawyer.

Mr Sherlock said: “Extensive police and fire service investigations have been carried out. Investigations are still ongoing.”

The inquest was adjourned and will be reopened on March 31 next year.

Mr Walsh said: “I will release her body. I will request statements from Greater Manchester Police and the fire service and Mrs Rafie’s GP.”

He said he would write to Mrs Rafie’s family confirming details of when her inquest will be re-opened.

Mrs Rafie is believed to have been murdered by her husband.

Mr Rafie, an architect, is thought to have caused the blaze which started in the kitchen. Police say the gas is believed to have been tampered with.

Mr and Mrs Rafie would had been married for 25 years this week. The couple had two grown up sons, Dr Ommid Rafie and Arash Rafie.

In a statement, their children said: “Our mother, our best friend, our angel, was an extremely strong lady who was deeply and sincerely loved by all.


"Despite her heart condition she dedicated her life to her family.

"This year we finally persuaded her to do something for herself and ultimately she decided to pursue a career in law.

"She remained strong throughout the course, as she had done throughout life, despite our kind, loving grandma being diagnosed with terminal cancer little under two weeks ago.”


Comments are closed on this article.


About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree