Men convicted of attempting to abduct two children
10:46am Saturday 21st December 2013 in News
TWO men have been unanimously convicted of attempting to abduct two young brothers.
Aram Younis, aged 23, and Hassan Meshedi, aged 31, tried to entice two brothers, aged eight and ten into their car.
Liverpool Crown Court heard during the trial that the boys declined the offer as they left Crankwood Park in Abram and ran home to tell their mother.
Younis, of Irvine Street, Leigh, and Meshedi, of Chapel Street, Leigh, who were helped by a Kurdish Iranian interpreter, represented themselves during their trial.
Anthony O'Donohoe, prosecuting, told the jury the incident happened on July 13.
As they were walking along Crankwood Road, which is a cul-de-sac, a light blue Renault Clio approached from the opposite direction. It was driven by Meshedi, while Younis was the passenger.
Mr O’Donohoe said: “Younis said through the open passenger window, 'Do you want to come in this car?'. The boys replied, 'No, we don't know you'.
“Younis said, 'come on boys, it's only a ride’. In that moment the older boy sensed his brother was about to move towards the car so he pulled his brother back and both boys ran home. They immediately complained to their mother.
“They seemed upset and not surprisingly their mother was distressed to hear of this matter and she immediately telephoned the police.”
Police detained the man, who matched the description given by the boys, in Plank Lane, Abram.
When arrested they claimed they had not spoken to any boys and had been looking for a nice place to relax in the sunshine.
The older boy picked out Meshedi on a video ID parade as the driver, added Mr O'Donohoe.
The men were remanded in custody to await sentence on January 16.