Massive fire at Armstrongs in Horwich

The Bolton News: Firefighters at Armstrongs in Horwich Firefighters at Armstrongs in Horwich

FIREFIGHTERS are tackling a large blaze at Armstrongs recycling plant in Horwich.

More than 35 firefighters are battling the flames engulfing about 45 tonnes of household waste in the firm's warehouse.

Crews have managed to create a firebreak in the warehouse to prevent the flames from spreading.

This is the second fire at Armstrongs this year. 

It is not known what caused the fire.

 

Comments (17)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:12pm Thu 26 Dec 13

Citizen Cane says...

Chinese lanterns? How many fires at Armstrongs in the last few years?
Chinese lanterns? How many fires at Armstrongs in the last few years? Citizen Cane

9:26pm Thu 26 Dec 13

bernie boy says...

Another "mysterious fire". Does the site have planning permission to build houses?
Another "mysterious fire". Does the site have planning permission to build houses? bernie boy

9:39pm Thu 26 Dec 13

sunfun says...

Again!!!!!!
Again!!!!!! sunfun

10:10pm Thu 26 Dec 13

aardwolf says...

At least 6 major fires in 5 years. So... who on Bolton Council is in their pocket for this company to be allowed to continue trading? Come on Horwich - close this company down. God knows what you are breathing in from the fumes.
At least 6 major fires in 5 years. So... who on Bolton Council is in their pocket for this company to be allowed to continue trading? Come on Horwich - close this company down. God knows what you are breathing in from the fumes. aardwolf

10:21pm Thu 26 Dec 13

westhoughton123 says...

This is right next to my work near Middlebrook, and always when I walk up to Chorley new Road on my way home, the place is insecure.

The fencing is makeshift, the plastic and paper is strewn all over the place, a firebugs wet dream.

Get rid before a firefighter loses his or her life.
This is right next to my work near Middlebrook, and always when I walk up to Chorley new Road on my way home, the place is insecure. The fencing is makeshift, the plastic and paper is strewn all over the place, a firebugs wet dream. Get rid before a firefighter loses his or her life. westhoughton123

10:30pm Thu 26 Dec 13

steverock6@sky.com says...

I set up a liaison committee when I was a bolton borough councillor nothing seems have been done about since labour took over it is not horwich council it is bolton who deal with this how much they care about horwich! They do nothave planning permission yet but want to build up to 1800 houses andlight industry
I set up a liaison committee when I was a bolton borough councillor nothing seems have been done about since labour took over it is not horwich council it is bolton who deal with this how much they care about horwich! They do nothave planning permission yet but want to build up to 1800 houses andlight industry steverock6@sky.com

10:42pm Thu 26 Dec 13

getajob123 says...

its getting painfully obvious that these fires are started every 6 months on purpose to get rid of the excess rubbish that is stored there so the company avoids disposal costs. there will be another in summer.............. then another near fireworks night and another next xmas
its getting painfully obvious that these fires are started every 6 months on purpose to get rid of the excess rubbish that is stored there so the company avoids disposal costs. there will be another in summer.............. then another near fireworks night and another next xmas getajob123

10:42pm Thu 26 Dec 13

atlas123 says...

steverock6@sky.com wrote:
I set up a liaison committee when I was a bolton borough councillor nothing seems have been done about since labour took over it is not horwich council it is bolton who deal with this how much they care about horwich! They do nothave planning permission yet but want to build up to 1800 houses andlight industry
Handy how its never Horwich TC to blame.

The housing scheme etc is nothing to do with Armstrongs, stop spreading missinformation Cllr cretin.
[quote][p][bold]steverock6@sky.com[/bold] wrote: I set up a liaison committee when I was a bolton borough councillor nothing seems have been done about since labour took over it is not horwich council it is bolton who deal with this how much they care about horwich! They do nothave planning permission yet but want to build up to 1800 houses andlight industry[/p][/quote]Handy how its never Horwich TC to blame. The housing scheme etc is nothing to do with Armstrongs, stop spreading missinformation Cllr cretin. atlas123

10:45pm Thu 26 Dec 13

atlas123 says...

These recycling waste sites are notorious for fires tens major fires a year, just search local press sites.
These recycling waste sites are notorious for fires tens major fires a year, just search local press sites. atlas123

10:16am Fri 27 Dec 13

vicric87 says...

How is this company still in business? How are they not being investigated by the police? What will it take? Someone losing their life? They need stripping down and sending to prison for all the time, money, and criminal damage they cause.
How is this company still in business? How are they not being investigated by the police? What will it take? Someone losing their life? They need stripping down and sending to prison for all the time, money, and criminal damage they cause. vicric87

10:39am Fri 27 Dec 13

atlas123 says...

I suspect these fires are cause either accidentally by fag ends etc or by the piles of organic matter digesting and rotting causing and catching fire...

A remember midden fires at my grandparents farm as a result of putting dry hay/straw etc onto a midein heap. Our midden was of course somewhat smaller.
I suspect these fires are cause either accidentally by fag ends etc or by the piles of organic matter digesting and rotting causing and catching fire... A remember midden fires at my grandparents farm as a result of putting dry hay/straw etc onto a midein heap. Our midden was of course somewhat smaller. atlas123

10:53am Fri 27 Dec 13

steverock6@sky.com says...

atlas123 wrote:
steverock6@sky.com wrote:
I set up a liaison committee when I was a bolton borough councillor nothing seems have been done about since labour took over it is not horwich council it is bolton who deal with this how much they care about horwich! They do nothave planning permission yet but want to build up to 1800 houses andlight industry
Handy how its never Horwich TC to blame.

The housing scheme etc is nothing to do with Armstrongs, stop spreading missinformation Cllr cretin.
Never said it was read what I said someone asked if they had planning permission and I answered them enforcement of the site is the responsibility of Bolton council and the environment agency your childish petty insults show your lack of understanding of how the council works
[quote][p][bold]atlas123[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]steverock6@sky.com[/bold] wrote: I set up a liaison committee when I was a bolton borough councillor nothing seems have been done about since labour took over it is not horwich council it is bolton who deal with this how much they care about horwich! They do nothave planning permission yet but want to build up to 1800 houses andlight industry[/p][/quote]Handy how its never Horwich TC to blame. The housing scheme etc is nothing to do with Armstrongs, stop spreading missinformation Cllr cretin.[/p][/quote]Never said it was read what I said someone asked if they had planning permission and I answered them enforcement of the site is the responsibility of Bolton council and the environment agency your childish petty insults show your lack of understanding of how the council works steverock6@sky.com

1:12pm Fri 27 Dec 13

J1Bean says...

I have a business just down the road and visitors outside the area are always asking what that atrocious smell is. Would hate to live nearby
Environmental health have been involved but done nothing
How come health & safety didn't close them after that fatal accident?

Any other company would have been closed by now
I have a business just down the road and visitors outside the area are always asking what that atrocious smell is. Would hate to live nearby Environmental health have been involved but done nothing How come health & safety didn't close them after that fatal accident? Any other company would have been closed by now J1Bean

3:24pm Fri 27 Dec 13

Rememberscarborough says...

Is there a business in the country that has been the "victim" of so many accidents and yet still hasn't been subject to a full HSE inquiry? In the construction industry (where I work) a company so accident prone would have been shut down years ago....
Is there a business in the country that has been the "victim" of so many accidents and yet still hasn't been subject to a full HSE inquiry? In the construction industry (where I work) a company so accident prone would have been shut down years ago.... Rememberscarborough

4:19pm Fri 27 Dec 13

J1Bean says...

Agreed

My work is construction industry involved and we have to be checked and assessed rigorously

So how do Armstrongs get away with it?
Agreed My work is construction industry involved and we have to be checked and assessed rigorously So how do Armstrongs get away with it? J1Bean

1:12am Wed 1 Jan 14

Donkey Stone says...

steverock6@sky.com wrote:
atlas123 wrote:
steverock6@sky.com wrote:
I set up a liaison committee when I was a bolton borough councillor nothing seems have been done about since labour took over it is not horwich council it is bolton who deal with this how much they care about horwich! They do nothave planning permission yet but want to build up to 1800 houses andlight industry
Handy how its never Horwich TC to blame.

The housing scheme etc is nothing to do with Armstrongs, stop spreading missinformation Cllr cretin.
Never said it was read what I said someone asked if they had planning permission and I answered them enforcement of the site is the responsibility of Bolton council and the environment agency your childish petty insults show your lack of understanding of how the council works
The council doesn't work.
[quote][p][bold]steverock6@sky.com[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]atlas123[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]steverock6@sky.com[/bold] wrote: I set up a liaison committee when I was a bolton borough councillor nothing seems have been done about since labour took over it is not horwich council it is bolton who deal with this how much they care about horwich! They do nothave planning permission yet but want to build up to 1800 houses andlight industry[/p][/quote]Handy how its never Horwich TC to blame. The housing scheme etc is nothing to do with Armstrongs, stop spreading missinformation Cllr cretin.[/p][/quote]Never said it was read what I said someone asked if they had planning permission and I answered them enforcement of the site is the responsibility of Bolton council and the environment agency your childish petty insults show your lack of understanding of how the council works[/p][/quote]The council doesn't work. Donkey Stone

1:14am Wed 1 Jan 14

Donkey Stone says...

steverock6@sky.com wrote:
atlas123 wrote:
steverock6@sky.com wrote:
I set up a liaison committee when I was a bolton borough councillor nothing seems have been done about since labour took over it is not horwich council it is bolton who deal with this how much they care about horwich! They do nothave planning permission yet but want to build up to 1800 houses andlight industry
Handy how its never Horwich TC to blame.

The housing scheme etc is nothing to do with Armstrongs, stop spreading missinformation Cllr cretin.
Never said it was read what I said someone asked if they had planning permission and I answered them enforcement of the site is the responsibility of Bolton council and the environment agency your childish petty insults show your lack of understanding of how the council works
The council doesn't work.
[quote][p][bold]steverock6@sky.com[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]atlas123[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]steverock6@sky.com[/bold] wrote: I set up a liaison committee when I was a bolton borough councillor nothing seems have been done about since labour took over it is not horwich council it is bolton who deal with this how much they care about horwich! They do nothave planning permission yet but want to build up to 1800 houses andlight industry[/p][/quote]Handy how its never Horwich TC to blame. The housing scheme etc is nothing to do with Armstrongs, stop spreading missinformation Cllr cretin.[/p][/quote]Never said it was read what I said someone asked if they had planning permission and I answered them enforcement of the site is the responsibility of Bolton council and the environment agency your childish petty insults show your lack of understanding of how the council works[/p][/quote]The council doesn't work. Donkey Stone

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree