UPDATE: 26-year-old man dead after plunging from bridge over A666 St Peter's Way
A MAN has died after falling from a bridge on Bradford Street onto St Peter's Way as police tried to talk him down from a suicide attempt.
Kyle Smith, aged 26, was seen standing on the wrong side of the bridge barrier at about 7pm on Friday.
Police were calleed and tried to talk him down as he threatened to jump.
After police spoke to him, Mr Smith fell from the bridge, despite officers' attempts to hold onto him.
He was then hit by a car travelling southbound on the A666 and suffered critical injuries.
Mr Smith was pronounced dead a short time later.
The road was closed both ways causing queuing traffic on the A666 between Turton Street at Bolton Street traffic lights and the M61.
- 'A modern day miracle' - 25,000 free picnic lunches for Bolton's poorest children
- Call for Horwich to leave Bolton... and become part of Chorley
- UPDATED: Body found in Rivington reservoir
- HSBC closes relief charity trust account
- UPDATED: Motorist crashes into fence after suffering 'medical episode' at wheel
PC Neil Pennington from the police's serious collision investigation unit, said: "Our thoughts are with the family at this difficult time and they are being supported by specially trained officers.
"We are fully investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident and would ask any witnesses to come forward and tell us what you saw."