Crews were called to the house in Tong Road at about 9am after a woman living at the house reported a strange petrol-like smell coming from beneath her floorboards.
The firefighters called out specialist hazardous material officers to investigate, along with a detection, identification and monitoring vehicle to analyse the area.
The teams identified a low level of a petrol-based substance, which they believed was coming from the earth beneath the house.
They concluded that the substance was not endangering the resident and handed the incident over to Bolton Council's environmental health department.
- 'She was always there for me' - Tributes to mother found dead in Bolton
- Town centre traffic chaos on the way when one-way system is delivered ahead of £1.7 million project
- VIDEO, UPDATE: Body found at Bolton property during search for missing Victoria Cherry
- Pedestrian knocked down by vehicle
- PICTURES: Is this evidence of ghosts at Hall i'th' Wood Museum?