Crews were called to the house in Tong Road at about 9am after a woman living at the house reported a strange petrol-like smell coming from beneath her floorboards.
The firefighters called out specialist hazardous material officers to investigate, along with a detection, identification and monitoring vehicle to analyse the area.
The teams identified a low level of a petrol-based substance, which they believed was coming from the earth beneath the house.
They concluded that the substance was not endangering the resident and handed the incident over to Bolton Council's environmental health department.
- Snow updates: Two schools closed as Bolton Council gritters out in force
- Ex fights for slice of multi-millionaire Gay Village tycoon's 'staggering wealth' in unique Bolton 'divorce' case
- Jobs at risk as Kearsley Academy faces £475,000 cuts
- Radio 1's Danny Howard ready to rock the Macron Stadium with DJ pals
- Three quarters of criminals successfully complete community orders in Bolton