Crews were called to the house in Tong Road at about 9am after a woman living at the house reported a strange petrol-like smell coming from beneath her floorboards.
The firefighters called out specialist hazardous material officers to investigate, along with a detection, identification and monitoring vehicle to analyse the area.
The teams identified a low level of a petrol-based substance, which they believed was coming from the earth beneath the house.
They concluded that the substance was not endangering the resident and handed the incident over to Bolton Council's environmental health department.
- School caretaker wins flag battle with Bolton at Home
- Rival hospitals form new alliance amid controversial health reforms
- Whites fan banned from watching football for racially abusing manager Dougie Freedman and two Wanderers stars
- 'Sickening' suicide watch mugs pulled from shelves at pound store
- UKIP deny fall out between Little Lever councillor and senior branch member