Crews were called to the house in Tong Road at about 9am after a woman living at the house reported a strange petrol-like smell coming from beneath her floorboards.
The firefighters called out specialist hazardous material officers to investigate, along with a detection, identification and monitoring vehicle to analyse the area.
The teams identified a low level of a petrol-based substance, which they believed was coming from the earth beneath the house.
They concluded that the substance was not endangering the resident and handed the incident over to Bolton Council's environmental health department.
- Shots fired at house in Bolton
- Three council chiefs suspended amid investigation over councillor who admitted child sex photos offences
- Taxi driver cleared of New Year Day rape
- APPEAL: Schoolboy battling cancer needs lifesaving treatment in USA
- PIEGATE 2: Councillor's 'Who ate all the pies?' explanation is untrue, says woman who complained to council