Crews were called to the house in Tong Road at about 9am after a woman living at the house reported a strange petrol-like smell coming from beneath her floorboards.
The firefighters called out specialist hazardous material officers to investigate, along with a detection, identification and monitoring vehicle to analyse the area.
The teams identified a low level of a petrol-based substance, which they believed was coming from the earth beneath the house.
They concluded that the substance was not endangering the resident and handed the incident over to Bolton Council's environmental health department.
- Nearly 7,000 new homes planned in Bolton — including 1700-house Westhoughton estate
- Readers share memories of Prestons of Bolton after news iconic store will close
- Bolton Wanderers star shows off his 'dab' dance moves on pitch after Twitter challenge
- New police officers take to Bolton streets
- Author's book turned into £20,000 musical