Crews were called to the house in Tong Road at about 9am after a woman living at the house reported a strange petrol-like smell coming from beneath her floorboards.
The firefighters called out specialist hazardous material officers to investigate, along with a detection, identification and monitoring vehicle to analyse the area.
The teams identified a low level of a petrol-based substance, which they believed was coming from the earth beneath the house.
They concluded that the substance was not endangering the resident and handed the incident over to Bolton Council's environmental health department.
- Man gets £900 bill for spitting chewing gum on pavement
- Smoking 'should be banned in play areas' say council chiefs
- Robber threatens betting shop staff with gun
- Metal band Weapon UK ready for gig in Bromley Cross
- Super-mum set to run five Rivvy Pike marathons in five days