Crews were called to the house in Tong Road at about 9am after a woman living at the house reported a strange petrol-like smell coming from beneath her floorboards.
The firefighters called out specialist hazardous material officers to investigate, along with a detection, identification and monitoring vehicle to analyse the area.
The teams identified a low level of a petrol-based substance, which they believed was coming from the earth beneath the house.
They concluded that the substance was not endangering the resident and handed the incident over to Bolton Council's environmental health department.
- UPDATED: Woman raped in alleyway
- REVEALED: Why the Lap-dancing club sign has been removed
- 'A shambles' - Man who confronted 2 burglars in kitchen is still waiting for a police visit FIVE days later
- UPDATED: Man seen being 'attacked and pushed into back of car' was with his friends and not in danger
- Bravery commendations for drivers who risked their safety to help fatally injured special constable