Crews were called to the house in Tong Road at about 9am after a woman living at the house reported a strange petrol-like smell coming from beneath her floorboards.
The firefighters called out specialist hazardous material officers to investigate, along with a detection, identification and monitoring vehicle to analyse the area.
The teams identified a low level of a petrol-based substance, which they believed was coming from the earth beneath the house.
They concluded that the substance was not endangering the resident and handed the incident over to Bolton Council's environmental health department.
- Sam Allardyce leaves England manager role after one game in charge
- Eight-man machete fight in street
- Thousands of sexual images of children found on IT worker's computer
- Missing teenage girl found
- REVEALED: Date new cinema to open in Bolton