Crews were called to the house in Tong Road at about 9am after a woman living at the house reported a strange petrol-like smell coming from beneath her floorboards.
The firefighters called out specialist hazardous material officers to investigate, along with a detection, identification and monitoring vehicle to analyse the area.
The teams identified a low level of a petrol-based substance, which they believed was coming from the earth beneath the house.
They concluded that the substance was not endangering the resident and handed the incident over to Bolton Council's environmental health department.
- Elderly man dies in hospital after being hit by car
- Cafe closing its doors after 18 months
- GALLERY: Spot yourself in these school pictures from the 1990s
- Man seen hanging out of window of moving car in 'road rage' incident
- Father-of-five steals paving stones after wife commits suicide