Crews were called to the house in Tong Road at about 9am after a woman living at the house reported a strange petrol-like smell coming from beneath her floorboards.
The firefighters called out specialist hazardous material officers to investigate, along with a detection, identification and monitoring vehicle to analyse the area.
The teams identified a low level of a petrol-based substance, which they believed was coming from the earth beneath the house.
They concluded that the substance was not endangering the resident and handed the incident over to Bolton Council's environmental health department.
- Last Drop Village to be sold for £3 million
- Former bingo caller raped and inflicted 'horrible' sexual abuse on schoolgirl, court told
- Deaf campaigner leaves £30,000 in his will to create new nursery
- Fly-tipper fined £700 for dumping rubbish in Great Lever back street
- UKIP stands by controversial sex abuse leaflet