Crews were called to the house in Tong Road at about 9am after a woman living at the house reported a strange petrol-like smell coming from beneath her floorboards.
The firefighters called out specialist hazardous material officers to investigate, along with a detection, identification and monitoring vehicle to analyse the area.
The teams identified a low level of a petrol-based substance, which they believed was coming from the earth beneath the house.
They concluded that the substance was not endangering the resident and handed the incident over to Bolton Council's environmental health department.
- Police hunt for man after pub brawl
- Residents angry at stacks of bins left in road as huge rollout of slim bins gets going
- Vulnerable widow betrayed by friend's daughter who stole £2,000 from bank account
- Jeremy Corbyn supporters storm Bolton Council meeting
- CCTV footage captures masked burglars breaking into house