Crews were called to the house in Tong Road at about 9am after a woman living at the house reported a strange petrol-like smell coming from beneath her floorboards.
The firefighters called out specialist hazardous material officers to investigate, along with a detection, identification and monitoring vehicle to analyse the area.
The teams identified a low level of a petrol-based substance, which they believed was coming from the earth beneath the house.
They concluded that the substance was not endangering the resident and handed the incident over to Bolton Council's environmental health department.
- Man brought to safety after climbing on to roof
- Iconic buildings of Bolton in the frame at new exhibition
- Vandals ruin junior teams' football pitches
- REVEALED: Opening date of latest restaurant to launch at Bolton shopping centre
- Residents' fears over Hulton Park plans