Crews were called to the house in Tong Road at about 9am after a woman living at the house reported a strange petrol-like smell coming from beneath her floorboards.
The firefighters called out specialist hazardous material officers to investigate, along with a detection, identification and monitoring vehicle to analyse the area.
The teams identified a low level of a petrol-based substance, which they believed was coming from the earth beneath the house.
They concluded that the substance was not endangering the resident and handed the incident over to Bolton Council's environmental health department.
- Race hate crime committed nearly every day last year - but Bolton is 'no more racist than anywhere else', say police
- Named: The best 5 pubs in Bolton, according to CAMRA
- 'Modern buildings look terrible' - Campaigner launches petition against university's plan to build £40 million student village next to historic Le Mans Crescent
- UPDATED: Driver suffers 'life changing' injuries in 'high speed' car crash
- Peter Kay's new TV show Car Share is quite a departure from his other work