Crews were called to the house in Tong Road at about 9am after a woman living at the house reported a strange petrol-like smell coming from beneath her floorboards.
The firefighters called out specialist hazardous material officers to investigate, along with a detection, identification and monitoring vehicle to analyse the area.
The teams identified a low level of a petrol-based substance, which they believed was coming from the earth beneath the house.
They concluded that the substance was not endangering the resident and handed the incident over to Bolton Council's environmental health department.
- Mad Friday in Bolton town centre
- UPDATED: Huge fire at Vogue night club in Bradshawgate on Mad Friday
- UPDATED: Huge cannabis farm worth up to £1 million found in Great Lever
- 'Vicious' thug who battered girlfriend jailed for 10 years
- Woman taken to hospital after Mini overturns on East Lancs Road slip