Crews were called to the house in Tong Road at about 9am after a woman living at the house reported a strange petrol-like smell coming from beneath her floorboards.
The firefighters called out specialist hazardous material officers to investigate, along with a detection, identification and monitoring vehicle to analyse the area.
The teams identified a low level of a petrol-based substance, which they believed was coming from the earth beneath the house.
They concluded that the substance was not endangering the resident and handed the incident over to Bolton Council's environmental health department.
- Horwich writer Chris Lunt who scored television hit with thriller Prey has sights set on future James Bond film
- LIVE: David Cameron and Ed Miliband interviews and Question Time in Bolton
- UPDATED: Teenager attacked after leaving birthday party in Farnworth
- University of Bolton staff 'sacked' over claims they leaked information to the press
- CLEARED: Jury takes just 38 minutes to find bus driver not guilty of causing death by careless driving