Crews were called to the house in Tong Road at about 9am after a woman living at the house reported a strange petrol-like smell coming from beneath her floorboards.
The firefighters called out specialist hazardous material officers to investigate, along with a detection, identification and monitoring vehicle to analyse the area.
The teams identified a low level of a petrol-based substance, which they believed was coming from the earth beneath the house.
They concluded that the substance was not endangering the resident and handed the incident over to Bolton Council's environmental health department.
- PICTURED: Who is the naked rambler? Man takes walk on the wild side at Bolton beauty spot
- REVEALED: Topshop and Topman to open new stores in Bolton
- Two Bolton Post Offices welcome Sunday openings
- "I was speechless" - Parents of little Daisy Errington overwhelmed after community rallies to pay for 'funeral fit for a princess'
- GALLERY: 'Bioblitz' unearths hundreds of species at woodland estate