RESIDENTS' mail has been destroyed after yobs started a fire in a post box.
Firefighters were called just before 4pm after smoke was seen coming from the post box at the junction of Smithills Dean Road and Abercorn Road.
A resident claimed to have seen youngsters near the post box before the fire started.
Firefighters from Bolton North fire station put out the blaze with a hose.
A fire service spokesman said: “Unfortunately the letters in the post box will have either been damaged by the fire or by the water used to put it out.”
The fire service has contacted Royal Mail to inform them the incident.
- £10,000 of iPads and laptops stolen from school as thieves break in twice in a week
- 'Nuisance' jobseeker cleared of planting hoax bomb after sparking major town centre alert
- Shakespeare Foundry fire 'likely to have been caused by spark'
- Two arrested over blackmail gang attack on man who thought he was meeting underage girl
- Bunging burglar admits his guilt after police follow half-mile blood trail