RESIDENTS' mail has been destroyed after yobs started a fire in a post box.
Firefighters were called just before 4pm after smoke was seen coming from the post box at the junction of Smithills Dean Road and Abercorn Road.
A resident claimed to have seen youngsters near the post box before the fire started.
Firefighters from Bolton North fire station put out the blaze with a hose.
A fire service spokesman said: “Unfortunately the letters in the post box will have either been damaged by the fire or by the water used to put it out.”
The fire service has contacted Royal Mail to inform them the incident.
- Calls for tougher penalties for fly-tippers as one of worst cases in Bolton is revealed
- Hospital bosses: Jimmy Savile sex abuse scandal will not happen here
- Drunk shouted abuse outside the home of police officers
- Crime commissioner Tony Lloyd announced as interim mayor for Greater Manchester
- Dog show set to draw crowds