RESIDENTS' mail has been destroyed after yobs started a fire in a post box.
Firefighters were called just before 4pm after smoke was seen coming from the post box at the junction of Smithills Dean Road and Abercorn Road.
A resident claimed to have seen youngsters near the post box before the fire started.
Firefighters from Bolton North fire station put out the blaze with a hose.
A fire service spokesman said: “Unfortunately the letters in the post box will have either been damaged by the fire or by the water used to put it out.”
The fire service has contacted Royal Mail to inform them the incident.
- Investigation under way after pictures taken under skirts of schoolgirls appear on a website
- Work to begin on next phase of project to reinstate disused train station platform
- Armed robber jailed after holding knife to shop assistant's throat
- Worries Muslim community could be targeted following Westminster attack
- Motorcycle crash leaves man with facial injuries