RESIDENTS' mail has been destroyed after yobs started a fire in a post box.
Firefighters were called just before 4pm after smoke was seen coming from the post box at the junction of Smithills Dean Road and Abercorn Road.
A resident claimed to have seen youngsters near the post box before the fire started.
Firefighters from Bolton North fire station put out the blaze with a hose.
A fire service spokesman said: “Unfortunately the letters in the post box will have either been damaged by the fire or by the water used to put it out.”
The fire service has contacted Royal Mail to inform them the incident.
- Cafe closing its doors after 18 months
- Man seen hanging out of window of moving car in 'road rage' incident
- Schools 'step up' to take over children's centres - but services will be reduced as 31 jobs go
- GALLERY: Send us your Christmas pets pictures
- GALLERY: Spot yourself in these school pictures from the 1990s