RESIDENTS' mail has been destroyed after yobs started a fire in a post box.
Firefighters were called just before 4pm after smoke was seen coming from the post box at the junction of Smithills Dean Road and Abercorn Road.
A resident claimed to have seen youngsters near the post box before the fire started.
Firefighters from Bolton North fire station put out the blaze with a hose.
A fire service spokesman said: “Unfortunately the letters in the post box will have either been damaged by the fire or by the water used to put it out.”
The fire service has contacted Royal Mail to inform them the incident.
- So many questions as the dust settles — Bolton businesses react to Brexit vote
- REVEALED: What's happening and when during construction of £10 million Horwich Leisure Centre
- Appeal for information on road accident that killed Westhoughton community stalwart
- Alleged machete raids in Bury and Radcliffe: Deane man is fifth suspect charged
- Parents disgusted after thief steals gazebo and children's gardening tools from nursery