RESIDENTS' mail has been destroyed after yobs started a fire in a post box.
Firefighters were called just before 4pm after smoke was seen coming from the post box at the junction of Smithills Dean Road and Abercorn Road.
A resident claimed to have seen youngsters near the post box before the fire started.
Firefighters from Bolton North fire station put out the blaze with a hose.
A fire service spokesman said: “Unfortunately the letters in the post box will have either been damaged by the fire or by the water used to put it out.”
The fire service has contacted Royal Mail to inform them the incident.
- Police cordon off alleyways following incident
- Man attacked and bundled into back of car
- UPDATED: Investigation launched into cause of flat fire that could have been started deliberately
- Health club trials 45-minute 'Napercise' classes for sleepy parents - would you give it a go?
- Mother's worries over how new housing estate will impact severely brain-damaged son's life