A woman was trapped inside her burning home with her cat and two dogs after an arson attack.

Denise Hallam, aged 57, was in her house in Clyde Street, Halliwell, when a sparkler was put through her letter box, setting fire to her front door.

Ms Hallam called the fire service and crews from Bolton Central station arrived to put out the blaze.

She said: “My dogs started barking and then I saw this sparkler come through the door.

“It was really scary. I couldn’t get out of the door because it was up and I didn’t want to leave my dogs and my cat inside.

“This was definitely deliberate. I have lived here for 14 years and I don’t know why anyone would do this or why.”

The firefighters dealt with the fire before it spread to the rest of the house.

Ms Hallam said: “The firefighters were absolutely fabulous — they were fantastic.”Paramedics checked that Ms Hallam had not suffered any smoke inhalation.

The door of the house was badly damaged.

Ms Hallam added: “I don’t know what I am going to do now.”

An arson investigation has now been launched by police and the fire service.

A police spokesman said:“We are treating this incidentas arson and would urge anyone with any information about what happened to contact us.”

Anyone with information should call the police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.