A RUNAWAY dog has caused a three car-crash on the M61 near Farnworth.
The large, white female Akita was seen loose on the motorway between junctions 3 and 4 near Plodder Lane at about 1pm today.
Three vehicles were said to be involved in a "minor" crash while trying to avoid the animal.
The North West Motorway Police tweeted that the dog suffered a paw injury after being hit by a car.
Officers wrote: "Highways Agency with the dog on the M61 J4-J3 Plodder Ln-Farnworth. Dog has been struck & has paw injury. @RSPCA_official en route to assist."
The M61 has now been cleared and RSPCA officers have been called to the scene.
- UPDATED: Murder probe after woman, 43, found dead in Astley Bridge
- Thieves steal £4,000 from Westhoughton school — three months after it won bid for police cash seized from criminals
- Horwich couple speak of terror after Nepal earthquake left them sleeping in tents for four days
- Stepdad jailed for beating children in 1960s and 70s: 'It went far beyond anything that can be regarded as justifiable — even in times gone by'
- Family fun day at Smithills Hall