A RUNAWAY dog has caused a three car-crash on the M61 near Farnworth.
The large, white female Akita was seen loose on the motorway between junctions 3 and 4 near Plodder Lane at about 1pm today.
Three vehicles were said to be involved in a "minor" crash while trying to avoid the animal.
The North West Motorway Police tweeted that the dog suffered a paw injury after being hit by a car.
Officers wrote: "Highways Agency with the dog on the M61 J4-J3 Plodder Ln-Farnworth. Dog has been struck & has paw injury. @RSPCA_official en route to assist."
The M61 has now been cleared and RSPCA officers have been called to the scene.
- Car flips onto roof and lamppost is flattened after crash with van
- Pizzeria owner charged with multiple sexual assaults on girls aged between 15 and 18
- UKIP continue assault on Bolton Council by taking two more Labour seats and state: 'This is just the start'
- PICTURES: 9 beer gardens to enjoy a drink in the sun
- Dramatic but not shocking - why UKIP in Bolton is becoming a familiar and increasing presence