A RUNAWAY dog has caused a three car-crash on the M61 near Farnworth.
The large, white female Akita was seen loose on the motorway between junctions 3 and 4 near Plodder Lane at about 1pm today.
Three vehicles were said to be involved in a "minor" crash while trying to avoid the animal.
The North West Motorway Police tweeted that the dog suffered a paw injury after being hit by a car.
Officers wrote: "Highways Agency with the dog on the M61 J4-J3 Plodder Ln-Farnworth. Dog has been struck & has paw injury. @RSPCA_official en route to assist."
The M61 has now been cleared and RSPCA officers have been called to the scene.
- Dad describes savage attack that left him with life-changing head injuries
- Victim of fatal flat fire 'complained about malfunctioning gas fire' — inquest hears
- Animal porn DVD man given community sentence after being caught scratching himself in park
- Property firm pleads guilty to health and safety law breach after death of lift fall man
- Funeral of Bolton folk singer and Phoenix Nights actor Bob Williamson