A TAKEAWAY has been shut down after inspectors found an infestation of mice.
Bolton Kebab House in Bradshawgate already had the worst rating possible from the Food Standards Agency when rodents and droppings were discovered during a re-inspection.
Environmental health inspectors have now served the fast food outlet with a hygiene emergency prohibition notice, forcing it to close its doors until standards improve.
Owner Rizwan Hussain must also appear at Bolton Magistrates Court today as the authority look to ratify the notice – and could face a fine if he is found to be at fault.
A spokesman for Bolton Council said the notice was served after a visit on January 16 to check whether the takeaway was complying with food hygiene standards.
He said: “Officers observed evidence of a widespread mouse infestation which posed an imminent risk of injury to health, due to a significant risk of contamination of food and packaging material. The premises was closed with immediate effect.
“We have now applied to Bolton Magistrates Court for a hygiene emergency prohibition order, which if granted, would mean the premises will remain closed until the owner resolves any issues.
- Three men arrested on suspicion of murder in connection with body found in reservoir
- Farmer says he is victim of 'witch-hunt' after death of calf sparks social media campaign (Warning contains graphic image)
- Labour investigating council candidate after failure to disclose criminal convictions
- Appeal for next-of-kin of man found dead at home
- Moment shop assistant is confronted by gun in 'joke' robbery caught on camera
“Once issues are resolved and we inspect the premises again, it would be able to reopen.”
The shop, which serves pizzas, kebabs and burgers, was given a mark of zero out of a possible five from the Food Standards Agency rating system after an inspection in July.
Mr Hussain could not be reached for comment.