Fight breaks out as emotions run high during last night at Farnworth and District Veterans Club

The Bolton News: Farnworth and District Veterans Club Farnworth and District Veterans Club

A FIGHT broke out at Farnworth and District Veterans Club during its last weekend of business.

Police were called to the Brackley Street club after a row escalated into a fight.

One man, aged 49, was arrested on suspicion of assault, but claimed self defence.

Two brothers, aged 47 and 49, suffered minor injuries, but were not taken to hospital.

It is understood that the fight broke out as a result of payments being owed to staff at the club.

After 100 years of existence, Farnworth and District Veterans Club closed on Saturday January 18, because of a downturn in revenue.

The fight broke out at about 12.40am on Sunday, January 12.

Bill Raynor, aged 61, who has been a member of the club for 45 years, was also at the club on Saturday night, and left a few minutes before the fight broke out.

He said: “This is not the send-off that many members would have hoped for.

“I’m very upset to see it end like this. My father was a member of the club before me, so this club is in my heart.”

Bill Collison, aged 67, who has been involved with the club since a young age, added: “A lot of people were unhappy at the club closing and emotions were clearly running high.”


MORE:


Both men claimed the club was at full capacity while they were there.

Francis Wood, secretary of Farnworth and District Veterans Club, refused to comment.

A police spokesman said: “We received a call from the North West Ambulance Service regarding a disturbance at Farnworth and District Veterans Club.

“No-one has reported any offences.

“Two brothers were assaulted — they appear to have been approached from behind and they suffered injuries to their body and faces.

“A man was arrested on January 16 and he claimed self defence. No further action will be taken.”

Comments (37)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:20am Tue 28 Jan 14

chris25 says...

another restaurant maybe ,such a same to see these old establishments closing.
another restaurant maybe ,such a same to see these old establishments closing. chris25
  • Score: 22

11:02am Tue 28 Jan 14

martynbrooks says...

It will make space forAsda to sell petrol
It will make space forAsda to sell petrol martynbrooks
  • Score: 14

11:09am Tue 28 Jan 14

Annelime says...

Lies again! Bolton news get your facts right! This is so very far from the truth! It's not news, this is fiction! Not one bit of this story is correct!! All sources are biased!!
Lies again! Bolton news get your facts right! This is so very far from the truth! It's not news, this is fiction! Not one bit of this story is correct!! All sources are biased!! Annelime
  • Score: -19

11:27am Tue 28 Jan 14

lookatthestateofbolton says...

"a man was arrested on Jan 16"
That was 2 weeks ago.
Bolton news isn't worth wrapping your chips in.
"a man was arrested on Jan 16" That was 2 weeks ago. Bolton news isn't worth wrapping your chips in. lookatthestateofbolton
  • Score: 31

11:36am Tue 28 Jan 14

Donkey Stone says...

Annelime wrote:
Lies again! Bolton news get your facts right! This is so very far from the truth! It's not news, this is fiction! Not one bit of this story is correct!! All sources are biased!!
Does that include you?
[quote][p][bold]Annelime[/bold] wrote: Lies again! Bolton news get your facts right! This is so very far from the truth! It's not news, this is fiction! Not one bit of this story is correct!! All sources are biased!![/p][/quote]Does that include you? Donkey Stone
  • Score: 21

11:39am Tue 28 Jan 14

Donkey Stone says...

martynbrooks wrote:
It will make space forAsda to sell petrol
I agree with you. It's been on the cards for years. Shame though, I hate to see huge companies using financial muscle to get their own way.
[quote][p][bold]martynbrooks[/bold] wrote: It will make space forAsda to sell petrol[/p][/quote]I agree with you. It's been on the cards for years. Shame though, I hate to see huge companies using financial muscle to get their own way. Donkey Stone
  • Score: 2

11:42am Tue 28 Jan 14

Donkey Stone says...

martynbrooks wrote:
It will make space forAsda to sell petrol
I agree with you,it,s been on the cards for years. Shame though, I hate to see huge companies using financial muscle to get their own way.
[quote][p][bold]martynbrooks[/bold] wrote: It will make space forAsda to sell petrol[/p][/quote]I agree with you,it,s been on the cards for years. Shame though, I hate to see huge companies using financial muscle to get their own way. Donkey Stone
  • Score: 4

11:51am Tue 28 Jan 14

mjonah61 says...

Donkey Stone wrote:
martynbrooks wrote:
It will make space forAsda to sell petrol
I agree with you. It's been on the cards for years. Shame though, I hate to see huge companies using financial muscle to get their own way.
Apparently asda don't want it any more as the filling station is going to be located near fire station.
[quote][p][bold]Donkey Stone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]martynbrooks[/bold] wrote: It will make space forAsda to sell petrol[/p][/quote]I agree with you. It's been on the cards for years. Shame though, I hate to see huge companies using financial muscle to get their own way.[/p][/quote]Apparently asda don't want it any more as the filling station is going to be located near fire station. mjonah61
  • Score: 12

11:55am Tue 28 Jan 14

Donkey Stone says...

mjonah61 wrote:
Donkey Stone wrote:
martynbrooks wrote:
It will make space forAsda to sell petrol
I agree with you. It's been on the cards for years. Shame though, I hate to see huge companies using financial muscle to get their own way.
Apparently asda don't want it any more as the filling station is going to be located near fire station.
Ok thanks. More parking spaces then?
[quote][p][bold]mjonah61[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Donkey Stone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]martynbrooks[/bold] wrote: It will make space forAsda to sell petrol[/p][/quote]I agree with you. It's been on the cards for years. Shame though, I hate to see huge companies using financial muscle to get their own way.[/p][/quote]Apparently asda don't want it any more as the filling station is going to be located near fire station.[/p][/quote]Ok thanks. More parking spaces then? Donkey Stone
  • Score: 1

11:55am Tue 28 Jan 14

stepvan says...

Loss of revenue? We usually held our Xmas party upstairs in the Vets' but, we had to stop using it a few years ago, why? Because of Health & Safety... the caterers were not allowed to carry hot food upstairs.
Loss of revenue? We usually held our Xmas party upstairs in the Vets' but, we had to stop using it a few years ago, why? Because of Health & Safety... the caterers were not allowed to carry hot food upstairs. stepvan
  • Score: 11

12:01pm Tue 28 Jan 14

mjonah61 says...

Donkey Stone wrote:
mjonah61 wrote:
Donkey Stone wrote:
martynbrooks wrote:
It will make space forAsda to sell petrol
I agree with you. It's been on the cards for years. Shame though, I hate to see huge companies using financial muscle to get their own way.
Apparently asda don't want it any more as the filling station is going to be located near fire station.
Ok thanks. More parking spaces then?
Rumours of a fast food drive through?
[quote][p][bold]Donkey Stone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mjonah61[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Donkey Stone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]martynbrooks[/bold] wrote: It will make space forAsda to sell petrol[/p][/quote]I agree with you. It's been on the cards for years. Shame though, I hate to see huge companies using financial muscle to get their own way.[/p][/quote]Apparently asda don't want it any more as the filling station is going to be located near fire station.[/p][/quote]Ok thanks. More parking spaces then?[/p][/quote]Rumours of a fast food drive through? mjonah61
  • Score: 4

12:27pm Tue 28 Jan 14

mjonah61 says...

what is the point in having a comment section when they are removed, I only commented on what I witnessed and aired the feelings of numerous members an customers as to the situation of the closure !
what is the point in having a comment section when they are removed, I only commented on what I witnessed and aired the feelings of numerous members an customers as to the situation of the closure ! mjonah61
  • Score: 14

12:38pm Tue 28 Jan 14

Reality50 says...

An Asda worker told me that McDonalds were to locate a branch there and Asda a petrol station on that top car park and Vets club area.
An Asda worker told me that McDonalds were to locate a branch there and Asda a petrol station on that top car park and Vets club area. Reality50
  • Score: 5

12:47pm Tue 28 Jan 14

cliff4treasurer says...

Are there any mosques in Farny?
Are there any mosques in Farny? cliff4treasurer
  • Score: -17

12:58pm Tue 28 Jan 14

Omg :o says...

I find this story rather amusing, were do bolton news get there story's from, people that left before the fight broke out? Seriously, and as for the comments, are your story's from someone who heard it from someone who told them that someone told them?
I find this story rather amusing, were do bolton news get there story's from, people that left before the fight broke out? Seriously, and as for the comments, are your story's from someone who heard it from someone who told them that someone told them? Omg :o
  • Score: 0

2:28pm Tue 28 Jan 14

davidjb says...

its a dump and an eye sore, could be pulled down for something more practical, always full of young ones on the dole sat outside on chairs.
its a dump and an eye sore, could be pulled down for something more practical, always full of young ones on the dole sat outside on chairs. davidjb
  • Score: 9

4:31pm Tue 28 Jan 14

Lever-Ender says...

Billy Raynor has never left any drinking establishment before anyone.....now THAT'S a fact
Billy Raynor has never left any drinking establishment before anyone.....now THAT'S a fact Lever-Ender
  • Score: 11

4:45pm Tue 28 Jan 14

waterbottle says...

Plans are already in for a mosque for the farnworth muslim community, few back handers all will go through hopefully.
Plans are already in for a mosque for the farnworth muslim community, few back handers all will go through hopefully. waterbottle
  • Score: -9

6:40pm Tue 28 Jan 14

tracy1000 says...

cliff4treasurer wrote:
Are there any mosques in Farny?
there's one on egerton st
[quote][p][bold]cliff4treasurer[/bold] wrote: Are there any mosques in Farny?[/p][/quote]there's one on egerton st tracy1000
  • Score: 7

8:03pm Tue 28 Jan 14

Chrome1 says...

I like it. All these racist bums on here can't keep their boozy fleapits open so they start pouring scorn on other communities. The fact of the matter is that pubs are on their way out. These mosques that people ridicule so much add to the economy. They use local tradesmen, local firms and have a positive outlook for the communities they serve. There is nothing to stop the racist bums opening churches, but no they will just buy cheap alcohol, peddle children for prostitution, slash their neighbour's throats and drag the country down in a spiral of benefits cheating, expense fiddles and pathetic scapegoating.
I like it. All these racist bums on here can't keep their boozy fleapits open so they start pouring scorn on other communities. The fact of the matter is that pubs are on their way out. These mosques that people ridicule so much add to the economy. They use local tradesmen, local firms and have a positive outlook for the communities they serve. There is nothing to stop the racist bums opening churches, but no they will just buy cheap alcohol, peddle children for prostitution, slash their neighbour's throats and drag the country down in a spiral of benefits cheating, expense fiddles and pathetic scapegoating. Chrome1
  • Score: -21

8:30pm Tue 28 Jan 14

Donkey Stone says...

Chrome1 wrote:
I like it. All these racist bums on here can't keep their boozy fleapits open so they start pouring scorn on other communities. The fact of the matter is that pubs are on their way out. These mosques that people ridicule so much add to the economy. They use local tradesmen, local firms and have a positive outlook for the communities they serve. There is nothing to stop the racist bums opening churches, but no they will just buy cheap alcohol, peddle children for prostitution, slash their neighbour's throats and drag the country down in a spiral of benefits cheating, expense fiddles and pathetic scapegoating.
Yep, all white people are bad and all non white people are good, according to you that is.Now who did you say is racist?
[quote][p][bold]Chrome1[/bold] wrote: I like it. All these racist bums on here can't keep their boozy fleapits open so they start pouring scorn on other communities. The fact of the matter is that pubs are on their way out. These mosques that people ridicule so much add to the economy. They use local tradesmen, local firms and have a positive outlook for the communities they serve. There is nothing to stop the racist bums opening churches, but no they will just buy cheap alcohol, peddle children for prostitution, slash their neighbour's throats and drag the country down in a spiral of benefits cheating, expense fiddles and pathetic scapegoating.[/p][/quote]Yep, all white people are bad and all non white people are good, according to you that is.Now who did you say is racist? Donkey Stone
  • Score: 15

8:32pm Tue 28 Jan 14

Donkey Stone says...

Lever-Ender wrote:
Billy Raynor has never left any drinking establishment before anyone.....now THAT'S a fact
He has, but only to go to another one:)
[quote][p][bold]Lever-Ender[/bold] wrote: Billy Raynor has never left any drinking establishment before anyone.....now THAT'S a fact[/p][/quote]He has, but only to go to another one:) Donkey Stone
  • Score: 3

11:31pm Tue 28 Jan 14

Reality50 says...

It's a sign of the times. 25-30 years ago Farnworth had a decent nightlife-Blighty's,
City Lites,Chuffers etc- and many pubs but the White Hart,Saddle,Queens and now the Vets have gone. I suspect the Market pub and Britannia will be next. Little Lever has lost 5 of its 11 pubs in the last decade too. In a decade's time i suspect Farnworth will have 2 or 3 pubs left in it's entireity. Smoking ban,high pump prices and different social tastes and pub violence have seen the pub industry fall like a stone.
It's a sign of the times. 25-30 years ago Farnworth had a decent nightlife-Blighty's, City Lites,Chuffers etc- and many pubs but the White Hart,Saddle,Queens and now the Vets have gone. I suspect the Market pub and Britannia will be next. Little Lever has lost 5 of its 11 pubs in the last decade too. In a decade's time i suspect Farnworth will have 2 or 3 pubs left in it's entireity. Smoking ban,high pump prices and different social tastes and pub violence have seen the pub industry fall like a stone. Reality50
  • Score: 6

2:55am Wed 29 Jan 14

BoltonLancs says...

Chrome1 is a racist.!
Chrome1 is a racist.! BoltonLancs
  • Score: 4

11:30am Wed 29 Jan 14

Jim271 says...

pubs cannot compete any more. Why walk to a pub, pay £2.50 a drink, have to smoke outside in the cold and then risk having your head smashed in on the way home.

When you can invite friends to your house and buy cheap booze from the shops.
pubs cannot compete any more. Why walk to a pub, pay £2.50 a drink, have to smoke outside in the cold and then risk having your head smashed in on the way home. When you can invite friends to your house and buy cheap booze from the shops. Jim271
  • Score: 4

12:43pm Wed 29 Jan 14

martynbrooks says...

Its not just the vets that needed knocking down the whole centre of Farnworth needs clearing and starting again with no labour council help because they have well made a mess in Farnworth !!!
Its not just the vets that needed knocking down the whole centre of Farnworth needs clearing and starting again with no labour council help because they have well made a mess in Farnworth !!! martynbrooks
  • Score: 7

1:20pm Wed 29 Jan 14

Donkey Stone says...

Jim271 wrote:
pubs cannot compete any more. Why walk to a pub, pay £2.50 a drink, have to smoke outside in the cold and then risk having your head smashed in on the way home.

When you can invite friends to your house and buy cheap booze from the shops.
And annoy your neighbours with the niose.
[quote][p][bold]Jim271[/bold] wrote: pubs cannot compete any more. Why walk to a pub, pay £2.50 a drink, have to smoke outside in the cold and then risk having your head smashed in on the way home. When you can invite friends to your house and buy cheap booze from the shops.[/p][/quote]And annoy your neighbours with the niose. Donkey Stone
  • Score: 1

1:23pm Wed 29 Jan 14

Donkey Stone says...

martynbrooks wrote:
Its not just the vets that needed knocking down the whole centre of Farnworth needs clearing and starting again with no labour council help because they have well made a mess in Farnworth !!!
Couldn't agree more.
[quote][p][bold]martynbrooks[/bold] wrote: Its not just the vets that needed knocking down the whole centre of Farnworth needs clearing and starting again with no labour council help because they have well made a mess in Farnworth !!![/p][/quote]Couldn't agree more. Donkey Stone
  • Score: 6

12:08am Thu 30 Jan 14

gingernutz says...

Donkey Stone wrote:
Chrome1 wrote:
I like it. All these racist bums on here can't keep their boozy fleapits open so they start pouring scorn on other communities. The fact of the matter is that pubs are on their way out. These mosques that people ridicule so much add to the economy. They use local tradesmen, local firms and have a positive outlook for the communities they serve. There is nothing to stop the racist bums opening churches, but no they will just buy cheap alcohol, peddle children for prostitution, slash their neighbour's throats and drag the country down in a spiral of benefits cheating, expense fiddles and pathetic scapegoating.
Yep, all white people are bad and all non white people are good, according to you that is.Now who did you say is racist?
He didn't mention skin colour, you did! There are white Muslims and plenty of non white drinkers
[quote][p][bold]Donkey Stone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chrome1[/bold] wrote: I like it. All these racist bums on here can't keep their boozy fleapits open so they start pouring scorn on other communities. The fact of the matter is that pubs are on their way out. These mosques that people ridicule so much add to the economy. They use local tradesmen, local firms and have a positive outlook for the communities they serve. There is nothing to stop the racist bums opening churches, but no they will just buy cheap alcohol, peddle children for prostitution, slash their neighbour's throats and drag the country down in a spiral of benefits cheating, expense fiddles and pathetic scapegoating.[/p][/quote]Yep, all white people are bad and all non white people are good, according to you that is.Now who did you say is racist?[/p][/quote]He didn't mention skin colour, you did! There are white Muslims and plenty of non white drinkers gingernutz
  • Score: -7

12:08am Thu 30 Jan 14

gingernutz says...

Donkey Stone wrote:
Chrome1 wrote:
I like it. All these racist bums on here can't keep their boozy fleapits open so they start pouring scorn on other communities. The fact of the matter is that pubs are on their way out. These mosques that people ridicule so much add to the economy. They use local tradesmen, local firms and have a positive outlook for the communities they serve. There is nothing to stop the racist bums opening churches, but no they will just buy cheap alcohol, peddle children for prostitution, slash their neighbour's throats and drag the country down in a spiral of benefits cheating, expense fiddles and pathetic scapegoating.
Yep, all white people are bad and all non white people are good, according to you that is.Now who did you say is racist?
He didn't mention skin colour, you did! There are white Muslims and plenty of non white drinkers
[quote][p][bold]Donkey Stone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chrome1[/bold] wrote: I like it. All these racist bums on here can't keep their boozy fleapits open so they start pouring scorn on other communities. The fact of the matter is that pubs are on their way out. These mosques that people ridicule so much add to the economy. They use local tradesmen, local firms and have a positive outlook for the communities they serve. There is nothing to stop the racist bums opening churches, but no they will just buy cheap alcohol, peddle children for prostitution, slash their neighbour's throats and drag the country down in a spiral of benefits cheating, expense fiddles and pathetic scapegoating.[/p][/quote]Yep, all white people are bad and all non white people are good, according to you that is.Now who did you say is racist?[/p][/quote]He didn't mention skin colour, you did! There are white Muslims and plenty of non white drinkers gingernutz
  • Score: -5

1:40am Thu 30 Jan 14

alien13 says...

were do i take my dog if the vets is shutting
were do i take my dog if the vets is shutting alien13
  • Score: 2

1:18pm Thu 30 Jan 14

Donkey Stone says...

gingernutz wrote:
Donkey Stone wrote:
Chrome1 wrote:
I like it. All these racist bums on here can't keep their boozy fleapits open so they start pouring scorn on other communities. The fact of the matter is that pubs are on their way out. These mosques that people ridicule so much add to the economy. They use local tradesmen, local firms and have a positive outlook for the communities they serve. There is nothing to stop the racist bums opening churches, but no they will just buy cheap alcohol, peddle children for prostitution, slash their neighbour's throats and drag the country down in a spiral of benefits cheating, expense fiddles and pathetic scapegoating.
Yep, all white people are bad and all non white people are good, according to you that is.Now who did you say is racist?
He didn't mention skin colour, you did! There are white Muslims and plenty of non white drinkers
And plenty of muslim drinkers,contrary to popular belief.
[quote][p][bold]gingernutz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Donkey Stone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chrome1[/bold] wrote: I like it. All these racist bums on here can't keep their boozy fleapits open so they start pouring scorn on other communities. The fact of the matter is that pubs are on their way out. These mosques that people ridicule so much add to the economy. They use local tradesmen, local firms and have a positive outlook for the communities they serve. There is nothing to stop the racist bums opening churches, but no they will just buy cheap alcohol, peddle children for prostitution, slash their neighbour's throats and drag the country down in a spiral of benefits cheating, expense fiddles and pathetic scapegoating.[/p][/quote]Yep, all white people are bad and all non white people are good, according to you that is.Now who did you say is racist?[/p][/quote]He didn't mention skin colour, you did! There are white Muslims and plenty of non white drinkers[/p][/quote]And plenty of muslim drinkers,contrary to popular belief. Donkey Stone
  • Score: 3

1:21pm Thu 30 Jan 14

Donkey Stone says...

gingernutz wrote:
Donkey Stone wrote:
Chrome1 wrote:
I like it. All these racist bums on here can't keep their boozy fleapits open so they start pouring scorn on other communities. The fact of the matter is that pubs are on their way out. These mosques that people ridicule so much add to the economy. They use local tradesmen, local firms and have a positive outlook for the communities they serve. There is nothing to stop the racist bums opening churches, but no they will just buy cheap alcohol, peddle children for prostitution, slash their neighbour's throats and drag the country down in a spiral of benefits cheating, expense fiddles and pathetic scapegoating.
Yep, all white people are bad and all non white people are good, according to you that is.Now who did you say is racist?
He didn't mention skin colour, you did! There are white Muslims and plenty of non white drinkers
Islam isn't a race by the way, and he did mention that over used word "racist".
[quote][p][bold]gingernutz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Donkey Stone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chrome1[/bold] wrote: I like it. All these racist bums on here can't keep their boozy fleapits open so they start pouring scorn on other communities. The fact of the matter is that pubs are on their way out. These mosques that people ridicule so much add to the economy. They use local tradesmen, local firms and have a positive outlook for the communities they serve. There is nothing to stop the racist bums opening churches, but no they will just buy cheap alcohol, peddle children for prostitution, slash their neighbour's throats and drag the country down in a spiral of benefits cheating, expense fiddles and pathetic scapegoating.[/p][/quote]Yep, all white people are bad and all non white people are good, according to you that is.Now who did you say is racist?[/p][/quote]He didn't mention skin colour, you did! There are white Muslims and plenty of non white drinkers[/p][/quote]Islam isn't a race by the way, and he did mention that over used word "racist". Donkey Stone
  • Score: -2

8:23pm Thu 30 Jan 14

JustBecause says...

alien13 wrote:
were do i take my dog if the vets is shutting
take her out for a meal in town........ :)
[quote][p][bold]alien13[/bold] wrote: were do i take my dog if the vets is shutting[/p][/quote]take her out for a meal in town........ :) JustBecause
  • Score: 3

8:50pm Fri 31 Jan 14

luckyday says...

This is such a shame if more of the members of the club had made an effort whilst the club was open then it would still be open now and if drunken balloons weren't shouting their mouths off on the last night then there wouldn't of been a fight.
This is such a shame if more of the members of the club had made an effort whilst the club was open then it would still be open now and if drunken balloons weren't shouting their mouths off on the last night then there wouldn't of been a fight. luckyday
  • Score: -1

1:56pm Sat 1 Feb 14

Lancashire always says...

alien13 wrote:
were do i take my dog if the vets is shutting
To the Pub !!
[quote][p][bold]alien13[/bold] wrote: were do i take my dog if the vets is shutting[/p][/quote]To the Pub !! Lancashire always
  • Score: 1

3:13pm Sat 1 Feb 14

Greasy Chip Butty says...

Blame the likes of cliff4treasurer for allowing us to get into a "race row". Typical nothing better to do....
Blame the likes of cliff4treasurer for allowing us to get into a "race row". Typical nothing better to do.... Greasy Chip Butty
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree