A SUSPECTED armed robber has been arrested after a car chase across Bolton.
Five police cars and helicopter pursued the man through Over Hulton, Bromley Cross and Bradshaw at about 6.15pm last night.
The 36-year-old man, from Salford, then attempted to ram two of the police cars with his silver Vauxhall Astra van before fleeing on foot in Folds Road, near Tonge Moor.
The man, who is wanted for a robbery in Preston, has now been been arrested and is in police custody for questioning.
He is wanted by Lancashire and Cleveland police.
Ch Insp Mark Dexter said: “This was an excellent arrest of a man who has been wanted for some time by police in connection a number of offences.
“He has used his vehicle to ram police cars in an attempt to escape before trying to flee on foot, proving he is a clear threat to the police service and wider public.
“Thankfully, due to the excellent work of officers from the intercept team on the ground - supported by NPAS (the police helicopter) - the man was arrested without major incident or serious harm to anyone."
- VIDEO: Van bursts into flames near homes in Bolton
- UPDATED: Officers search property in connection with Manchester terror attack
- Family of former Bolton Wanderers youth player killed in terror attack say Government must "open its eyes"
- Youths set fire to wood at demolished gold club
- Proud to run - the Bolton runners who united with Manchester for big sporting event