Many more are braced to evacuate in the coming days as weeks of heavy rainfall shows no signs of abating.
Hundreds of military personnel have been drafted in to help in the worst-affected areas of south west England and the home counties, as politicians and agencies get embroiled in a war of words prompted by residents' anger at a perceived lack of action.
About 400 weather warnings have been issued across England, with forecasters predicting further heavy rainfall on already-saturated ground.
There is no sign of flooding reaching Bolton, but the Met Office is warning of high winds across the North West tomorrow.
See the full gallery of flood pictures here.
The latest live weather information is available here.
- UPDATED: Cub leader in hospital with serious head injuries after Kearsley car accident
- Sex attacker who left teenager naked and screaming has his testicles removed
- 'Dedicated mother' - Tributes pour in for mum as murder investigation continues
- Taxi driver sexually assaulted two female passengers in six days
- Heroic dad tells how he helped talk down man threatening to jump from St Peter's Way bridge