UPDATED: Warning after candle fire wrecks bedroom

The Bolton News: Destroyed bedroom furniture outside the house in Glendale Drive Destroyed bedroom furniture outside the house in Glendale Drive

BOLTON’S top firefighter has issued a warning after a blaze — started by a candle — destroyed a bedroom at a house.

Flames were coming out of an upstairs window as fire crews arrived at the house in Glendale Drive, Ladybridge at 12.30am.

The family living at the property, including two adults and three grown-up children, as well as some family friends, had fled from the burning house unharmed.

Crews from Bolton Central fire station spent about 40 minutes putting out the fire.

The bedroom was destroyed but firefighters prevented flames spreading to the rest of the house.

It is thought that the blaze was started by a candle falling over.

Ian Bailey, Bolton borough manager, urged people to “keep their wits about them” if using candles.

He said: “All candles should be put out before people go to bed — this should be part of a bedroom routine.

“Candles should also be placed on a metallic base, so if they fall over, as is suspected in this case, there is less possibility of it igniting.

“We would also advise people to keep candles away from curtains and windows — we have also had reports of people placing candles on their baths, that is a definite no.” Mr Bailey said he was not telling people to never use candles.

He added: “I know many people light candles as part of their cultural beliefs and we are not saying never do it, but if you are lighting them — just keep your wits about you.”

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:32pm Thu 20 Feb 14

The Priceshagger says...

Good to hear no one was harmed and this was due to the good work of our excellent fire fighters.

Can I ask the Bolton News; Why have you put up an image of a fire appliance that isn't a GMFRS appliance? Looks like an Avon and Somerset fire appliance.
Good to hear no one was harmed and this was due to the good work of our excellent fire fighters. Can I ask the Bolton News; Why have you put up an image of a fire appliance that isn't a GMFRS appliance? Looks like an Avon and Somerset fire appliance. The Priceshagger
  • Score: 0

1:48pm Thu 20 Feb 14

chris25 says...

The Priceshagger wrote:
Good to hear no one was harmed and this was due to the good work of our excellent fire fighters.

Can I ask the Bolton News; Why have you put up an image of a fire appliance that isn't a GMFRS appliance? Looks like an Avon and Somerset fire appliance.
wow ,this guy knows his fire engines.agree good no one was hurt and totally agree these brave men do a superb job.
[quote][p][bold]The Priceshagger[/bold] wrote: Good to hear no one was harmed and this was due to the good work of our excellent fire fighters. Can I ask the Bolton News; Why have you put up an image of a fire appliance that isn't a GMFRS appliance? Looks like an Avon and Somerset fire appliance.[/p][/quote]wow ,this guy knows his fire engines.agree good no one was hurt and totally agree these brave men do a superb job. chris25
  • Score: 6

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree