Wheelie bin fire outside Halliwell flats damages gas pipes

Wheelie bin fire outside Halliwell flats damages gas pipes

Wheelie bin fire outside Halliwell flats damages gas pipes

First published in News
Last updated
The Bolton News: Photograph of the Author by , politics reporter

RESIDENTS in Halliwell had a lucky escape with a wheelie bin caught fire outside a block of flats and damaged gas pipes under the ground.

Nine firefighters were called to the scene in Canning Drive at 3pm when they received reports of the small fire in the bin by the rear door of a block of flats.

The heat of the fire affected the external gas supply, and residents were instructed to close their windows and not turn any electrical items on, but were not evacuated.

There was slight flame damage to the rear door panel, and the firefighters stayed on the scene while waiting for National Grid engineers to come and fix the gas supply.

Watch commander Neil Mercer said it wasn’t uncommon for gas works to be affected by small fires.

He said: “It does happen where the wheelie bins, you’ve just got to be mindful in case the gas pipes are affected as the heat can be radiated through the ground.

“It could have been a lot worse if the gas had been ignitied.”

Nobody was hurt during the incident, and the fire is being treated as accidental.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree