FIREFIGHTERS are still at the scene of a huge blaze at a recycling plant in Horwich.
The fire broke out at Daly Plastics at the Horwich Loco Works at 12.30am today and it took crews six hours to put it out.
Two employees were working the night shift when they first smelled smoke, then saw thick, black smoke coming from an area of wooden pallets in the corner of factory.
They immediately vacated the premises and called the fire service.
Chorley New Road was closed in both directions while they dealt with the incident, but has since reopened.
People living close were told to keep their windows and doors closed as the fire involved a large amount of plastic and was giving off a lot of smoke.
More than 40 firefighters from both Bolton fire stations as well as stations in Chorley, Atherton and Farnworth were drafted in to help tackle the blaze.
Station manager Andy Bracken said: "When crews arrived, the whole premises were engulfed by flames and the conditions, which included high winds meant that there was a real danger of other buildings catching fire.
- UPDATED: Suspect arrested in Wigan in connection with bombing - town centre on lockdown
- 'They’re twisting Islam' - boxer Amir Khan condemns Manchester terror attack
- LISTEN: Heartbreaking final recording of Olivia Campbell singing at music lesson before death in terror attack
- Tributes to 'iconic and beautiful' victim of Manchester terror attack as fears grow for missing
- ‘RIP my darling precious gorgeous girl' - mum pays tribute to Olivia Campbell, 15, killed in Manchester terror attack
"It is down to the quick, brave work of the firefighters who went into the building that no other properties or people were affected."
Fire chiefs are now carrying out a detailed investigation into the cause of the fire.
Daly Plastics director Simon Daly said: "We are devastasted. It's a family business and it's going to be four to six weeks before we can reopen.
"It has just knocked me for six, but I’m glad that noone was injured or killed."
You can see more photos of the fire here.