Another 140 new homes planned for Horwich

Former Bolton College building where new homes are planned

Former Bolton College building where new homes are planned

First published in News
Last updated
The Bolton News: Photograph of the Author by , reporter

PLANS for a new 140-home estate on the site of the current Bolton College campus in Victoria Road, Horwich, have been lodged with Bolton Council — prompting fears that Horwich could become swamped with housing.

The application comes hot on the heels of plans to build 1,700 homes on the site of the former Horwich Loco Works.

Leader of Horwich Town Council, Cllr Kevan Helsby said: “It just seems to be housing and more housing — it makes you worry about the future of Horwich.

“I haven’t seen any plans for shops, schools or healthcare facilities and that is not to mention yet more pressure on the local transport network.”

Developers Bowsall Ltd has applied for permission to redevelop the site — which will be vacated in the summer, with the college relocating to new town centre facilities.

If approved, Bowsall plan to build a range of homes including apartments, as well as two, three and four-bedroom houses on the brownfield site.

The application states an agreement that 15 per cent of the properties will be classed as affordable housing.

The site currently consists of college buildings, a car park and a green space for recreation.

Last week, a fiery town council meeting saw scores of residents protesting about the possible implications of the 1,700-home Rivington Chase blueprint.

Horwich resident Kieran Morris, aged 32, of Owsten Court, said: “The traffic at the moment isn’t great, at rush hour it can be tricky but god knows what it will be like if both of these developments go ahead.”

Cllr Helsby also bemoaned the potential loss of another of Horwich’s leisure areas, adding: “Why not keep part of it as playing fields? It is a shame to see more recreational facilities going.”

A spokesperson for Bolton Council said: “Bolton Council’s Core Strategy sets out our approach to releasing open space for development, and also the location for much needed new housing development, especially affordable housing.

“Under government rules the council must have a five year supply of available land for housing development at all times.”

No one at Bowsall Ltd was available for comment.

Comments (24)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:24am Fri 28 Feb 14

Gore Seer says...

Our Countryside Is Swamped With New Housing Little Mini Towns, Just Look Round Runshaw College Over Chorley,Leyland, Thats Just One. All For European Over Spill.
Our Countryside Is Swamped With New Housing Little Mini Towns, Just Look Round Runshaw College Over Chorley,Leyland, Thats Just One. All For European Over Spill. Gore Seer
  • Score: 0

8:29am Fri 28 Feb 14

atlas123 says...

Whist the new development will have associated traffic, in fairness so does the collage with staff and students coming and going, all at peak times.

Brownfield re-development. Sounds okay to me!


The population is rising with indigenous people never-mind migration, people need houses!
Whist the new development will have associated traffic, in fairness so does the collage with staff and students coming and going, all at peak times. Brownfield re-development. Sounds okay to me! The population is rising with indigenous people never-mind migration, people need houses! atlas123
  • Score: 2

8:48am Fri 28 Feb 14

The Righteous One says...

Gore Seer wrote:
Our Countryside Is Swamped With New Housing Little Mini Towns, Just Look Round Runshaw College Over Chorley,Leyland, Thats Just One. All For European Over Spill.
What about the growing indigenous population as well.

Even without the 1.5million EU migrants that now live in the UK (which is only 2.4% of the total population) or the 1.25 non-EU migrants (which is only 2% of the total population) then you will see our population has grown - just like every other country on this planet (have you not heard that the worlds population is now over 72billion and rising) and yes they do need homes. Also look at todays family structures - how many homes are actually 2 parents and 2 children? How many are sole parent families? How many are childrenless families? How many singles live by themselves or flatshare?

So see it is easy to blame migrants but when you start to delve into properly thats when you see the real answers!!!


And anyway as Atlas has said they are being built on land which is already built out (a brownfield site) and the traffic congestion will proabbly be about the same as it is now - so, to be fair, this is a like for like.

My only concern is how many of these home owners will end up using the trains and thus making the trains even more full and squahsed than now during the peak times?
[quote][p][bold]Gore Seer[/bold] wrote: Our Countryside Is Swamped With New Housing Little Mini Towns, Just Look Round Runshaw College Over Chorley,Leyland, Thats Just One. All For European Over Spill.[/p][/quote]What about the growing indigenous population as well. Even without the 1.5million EU migrants that now live in the UK (which is only 2.4% of the total population) or the 1.25 non-EU migrants (which is only 2% of the total population) then you will see our population has grown - just like every other country on this planet (have you not heard that the worlds population is now over 72billion and rising) and yes they do need homes. Also look at todays family structures - how many homes are actually 2 parents and 2 children? How many are sole parent families? How many are childrenless families? How many singles live by themselves or flatshare? So see it is easy to blame migrants but when you start to delve into properly thats when you see the real answers!!! And anyway as Atlas has said they are being built on land which is already built out (a brownfield site) and the traffic congestion will proabbly be about the same as it is now - so, to be fair, this is a like for like. My only concern is how many of these home owners will end up using the trains and thus making the trains even more full and squahsed than now during the peak times? The Righteous One
  • Score: -59

9:26am Fri 28 Feb 14

stereo_world says...

I worry about how this will affect the whole area between junction 5 and 6 of the M61. With the loco works development, the network won't be able to handle any extra homes.

I pray they've taken the effect it has on transport into consideration.
I worry about how this will affect the whole area between junction 5 and 6 of the M61. With the loco works development, the network won't be able to handle any extra homes. I pray they've taken the effect it has on transport into consideration. stereo_world
  • Score: 11

10:09am Fri 28 Feb 14

ERebecca says...

The college field has been used as a public footpath for at least 40 years, until the council put up spiked fences blocking access last year, they knew what they were doing, getting ready for this development by stopping us using the field claiming it helps stop thieves using it, funny we've had a spate of robberies from our gardens since the fence went up actually. As it makes the backs of our houses a quiet and unused pathway, nice for fly tippers and thieves. I grew up playing on the field, as did my siblings and mother, it is used for kids football matches on weekends, people take their kids on there to play and walk their dogs. People are still using it as a footpath finding they are faced with no way out at the other side. Some have been climbing over the fence to get through and others finding they have to walk all the way back and go around. I think the council is disgusting, The people making these decisions, do they live here? No, but I do, I live right next to the college and i'm sick of seeing this town ruined, Bolton take everything from us, fill us up with new builds and expect us to be happy, this town already looks unrecognisable to me, The Greenwood is a bloody eyesore, Swallowfield has been left in a state for years and the Vic has become a Nisa, promising local jobs, I don't think anyone who works there is from Horwich. I hate what they are doing to us, I hope the people who move here are ready to be knocked sick by the stench on the wind from Armstrongs Mountain that has us all gagging on a daily basis, and the fires they like to have to share their lovely toxic fumes. Be ready to be sat in traffic for hours on end too. The amount of houses is also vastly under estimated there will be much more than a couple of thousand as there are many other developments on the way and there's already new builds everywhere. Horwich is gone, it's heritage destroyed and all the people who move here will never know what a lovely place it was, now just a money maker for Bolton Council!!! :(
The college field has been used as a public footpath for at least 40 years, until the council put up spiked fences blocking access last year, they knew what they were doing, getting ready for this development by stopping us using the field claiming it helps stop thieves using it, funny we've had a spate of robberies from our gardens since the fence went up actually. As it makes the backs of our houses a quiet and unused pathway, nice for fly tippers and thieves. I grew up playing on the field, as did my siblings and mother, it is used for kids football matches on weekends, people take their kids on there to play and walk their dogs. People are still using it as a footpath finding they are faced with no way out at the other side. Some have been climbing over the fence to get through and others finding they have to walk all the way back and go around. I think the council is disgusting, The people making these decisions, do they live here? No, but I do, I live right next to the college and i'm sick of seeing this town ruined, Bolton take everything from us, fill us up with new builds and expect us to be happy, this town already looks unrecognisable to me, The Greenwood is a bloody eyesore, Swallowfield has been left in a state for years and the Vic has become a Nisa, promising local jobs, I don't think anyone who works there is from Horwich. I hate what they are doing to us, I hope the people who move here are ready to be knocked sick by the stench on the wind from Armstrongs Mountain that has us all gagging on a daily basis, and the fires they like to have to share their lovely toxic fumes. Be ready to be sat in traffic for hours on end too. The amount of houses is also vastly under estimated there will be much more than a couple of thousand as there are many other developments on the way and there's already new builds everywhere. Horwich is gone, it's heritage destroyed and all the people who move here will never know what a lovely place it was, now just a money maker for Bolton Council!!! :( ERebecca
  • Score: 25

10:32am Fri 28 Feb 14

FreedomOfSpeech1945 says...

I used to like Horwich, a nice little village. But I feel that all this housing will have a negative effect, especially on the surrounding countryside (Rivinton) and especially the local road network. Chortex Mill - Housing, The School that was across the road on the corner - Housing, Next door to the fire station - Housing! How long till Horwich becomes heavily populated like Deane or Daubhill.
I used to like Horwich, a nice little village. But I feel that all this housing will have a negative effect, especially on the surrounding countryside (Rivinton) and especially the local road network. Chortex Mill - Housing, The School that was across the road on the corner - Housing, Next door to the fire station - Housing! How long till Horwich becomes heavily populated like Deane or Daubhill. FreedomOfSpeech1945
  • Score: 14

10:43am Fri 28 Feb 14

boydell says...

With all this carry- on still fresh in peoples minds don't forget the council meeting on the 13th March covering the discussion of all these new developments in Horwich.
People power and pressure from residents stopped a rat run from the new Fallbirch Estate coming out onto the Beehive Roundabout via Austins lane a few years ago. If enough people from Horwich turn up to the meeting and let the council know that enough is enough, they just might get the message that we are fed up with their plans about allowing more houses to be built without ANY sort of infrastructure to handle all the extra traffic.
No doubt we will see the councillors once again in their little hi- vis jackets standing around Chorley New Road discussing the volume of traffic and trying to look as if they know what they are talking about.
All they really need to do is try get from Aldi's in Horwich to the Beehive Roundabout in their cars when the schools are going in or coming out, or match days when it can take a half hour to travel that distance.
If they lived in Horwich they would realise what we, the people of Horwich have to put up with on a daily basis.!!!
To the council I say ....the last thing we are needing is more houses.
With all this carry- on still fresh in peoples minds don't forget the council meeting on the 13th March covering the discussion of all these new developments in Horwich. People power and pressure from residents stopped a rat run from the new Fallbirch Estate coming out onto the Beehive Roundabout via Austins lane a few years ago. If enough people from Horwich turn up to the meeting and let the council know that enough is enough, they just might get the message that we are fed up with their plans about allowing more houses to be built without ANY sort of infrastructure to handle all the extra traffic. No doubt we will see the councillors once again in their little hi- vis jackets standing around Chorley New Road discussing the volume of traffic and trying to look as if they know what they are talking about. All they really need to do is try get from Aldi's in Horwich to the Beehive Roundabout in their cars when the schools are going in or coming out, or match days when it can take a half hour to travel that distance. If they lived in Horwich they would realise what we, the people of Horwich have to put up with on a daily basis.!!! To the council I say ....the last thing we are needing is more houses. boydell
  • Score: 18

10:48am Fri 28 Feb 14

FreedomOfSpeech1945 says...

boydell wrote:
With all this carry- on still fresh in peoples minds don't forget the council meeting on the 13th March covering the discussion of all these new developments in Horwich.
People power and pressure from residents stopped a rat run from the new Fallbirch Estate coming out onto the Beehive Roundabout via Austins lane a few years ago. If enough people from Horwich turn up to the meeting and let the council know that enough is enough, they just might get the message that we are fed up with their plans about allowing more houses to be built without ANY sort of infrastructure to handle all the extra traffic.
No doubt we will see the councillors once again in their little hi- vis jackets standing around Chorley New Road discussing the volume of traffic and trying to look as if they know what they are talking about.
All they really need to do is try get from Aldi's in Horwich to the Beehive Roundabout in their cars when the schools are going in or coming out, or match days when it can take a half hour to travel that distance.
If they lived in Horwich they would realise what we, the people of Horwich have to put up with on a daily basis.!!!
To the council I say ....the last thing we are needing is more houses.
I do believe the meeting is now on Monday 17th March, unfortunately as I will be working I will not be able to attend :( - do me proud people, do me proud!
[quote][p][bold]boydell[/bold] wrote: With all this carry- on still fresh in peoples minds don't forget the council meeting on the 13th March covering the discussion of all these new developments in Horwich. People power and pressure from residents stopped a rat run from the new Fallbirch Estate coming out onto the Beehive Roundabout via Austins lane a few years ago. If enough people from Horwich turn up to the meeting and let the council know that enough is enough, they just might get the message that we are fed up with their plans about allowing more houses to be built without ANY sort of infrastructure to handle all the extra traffic. No doubt we will see the councillors once again in their little hi- vis jackets standing around Chorley New Road discussing the volume of traffic and trying to look as if they know what they are talking about. All they really need to do is try get from Aldi's in Horwich to the Beehive Roundabout in their cars when the schools are going in or coming out, or match days when it can take a half hour to travel that distance. If they lived in Horwich they would realise what we, the people of Horwich have to put up with on a daily basis.!!! To the council I say ....the last thing we are needing is more houses.[/p][/quote]I do believe the meeting is now on Monday 17th March, unfortunately as I will be working I will not be able to attend :( - do me proud people, do me proud! FreedomOfSpeech1945
  • Score: 4

10:52am Fri 28 Feb 14

boydell says...

FreedomOfSpeech1945 wrote:
boydell wrote:
With all this carry- on still fresh in peoples minds don't forget the council meeting on the 13th March covering the discussion of all these new developments in Horwich.
People power and pressure from residents stopped a rat run from the new Fallbirch Estate coming out onto the Beehive Roundabout via Austins lane a few years ago. If enough people from Horwich turn up to the meeting and let the council know that enough is enough, they just might get the message that we are fed up with their plans about allowing more houses to be built without ANY sort of infrastructure to handle all the extra traffic.
No doubt we will see the councillors once again in their little hi- vis jackets standing around Chorley New Road discussing the volume of traffic and trying to look as if they know what they are talking about.
All they really need to do is try get from Aldi's in Horwich to the Beehive Roundabout in their cars when the schools are going in or coming out, or match days when it can take a half hour to travel that distance.
If they lived in Horwich they would realise what we, the people of Horwich have to put up with on a daily basis.!!!
To the council I say ....the last thing we are needing is more houses.
I do believe the meeting is now on Monday 17th March, unfortunately as I will be working I will not be able to attend :( - do me proud people, do me proud!
Thanks for putting the date right !!
[quote][p][bold]FreedomOfSpeech1945[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boydell[/bold] wrote: With all this carry- on still fresh in peoples minds don't forget the council meeting on the 13th March covering the discussion of all these new developments in Horwich. People power and pressure from residents stopped a rat run from the new Fallbirch Estate coming out onto the Beehive Roundabout via Austins lane a few years ago. If enough people from Horwich turn up to the meeting and let the council know that enough is enough, they just might get the message that we are fed up with their plans about allowing more houses to be built without ANY sort of infrastructure to handle all the extra traffic. No doubt we will see the councillors once again in their little hi- vis jackets standing around Chorley New Road discussing the volume of traffic and trying to look as if they know what they are talking about. All they really need to do is try get from Aldi's in Horwich to the Beehive Roundabout in their cars when the schools are going in or coming out, or match days when it can take a half hour to travel that distance. If they lived in Horwich they would realise what we, the people of Horwich have to put up with on a daily basis.!!! To the council I say ....the last thing we are needing is more houses.[/p][/quote]I do believe the meeting is now on Monday 17th March, unfortunately as I will be working I will not be able to attend :( - do me proud people, do me proud![/p][/quote]Thanks for putting the date right !! boydell
  • Score: 4

10:56am Fri 28 Feb 14

FreedomOfSpeech1945 says...

boydell wrote:
FreedomOfSpeech1945 wrote:
boydell wrote:
With all this carry- on still fresh in peoples minds don't forget the council meeting on the 13th March covering the discussion of all these new developments in Horwich.
People power and pressure from residents stopped a rat run from the new Fallbirch Estate coming out onto the Beehive Roundabout via Austins lane a few years ago. If enough people from Horwich turn up to the meeting and let the council know that enough is enough, they just might get the message that we are fed up with their plans about allowing more houses to be built without ANY sort of infrastructure to handle all the extra traffic.
No doubt we will see the councillors once again in their little hi- vis jackets standing around Chorley New Road discussing the volume of traffic and trying to look as if they know what they are talking about.
All they really need to do is try get from Aldi's in Horwich to the Beehive Roundabout in their cars when the schools are going in or coming out, or match days when it can take a half hour to travel that distance.
If they lived in Horwich they would realise what we, the people of Horwich have to put up with on a daily basis.!!!
To the council I say ....the last thing we are needing is more houses.
I do believe the meeting is now on Monday 17th March, unfortunately as I will be working I will not be able to attend :( - do me proud people, do me proud!
Thanks for putting the date right !!
If you're on Facebook then search - Horwich Loco Works Planning Meeting. Join the group :)
[quote][p][bold]boydell[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]FreedomOfSpeech1945[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boydell[/bold] wrote: With all this carry- on still fresh in peoples minds don't forget the council meeting on the 13th March covering the discussion of all these new developments in Horwich. People power and pressure from residents stopped a rat run from the new Fallbirch Estate coming out onto the Beehive Roundabout via Austins lane a few years ago. If enough people from Horwich turn up to the meeting and let the council know that enough is enough, they just might get the message that we are fed up with their plans about allowing more houses to be built without ANY sort of infrastructure to handle all the extra traffic. No doubt we will see the councillors once again in their little hi- vis jackets standing around Chorley New Road discussing the volume of traffic and trying to look as if they know what they are talking about. All they really need to do is try get from Aldi's in Horwich to the Beehive Roundabout in their cars when the schools are going in or coming out, or match days when it can take a half hour to travel that distance. If they lived in Horwich they would realise what we, the people of Horwich have to put up with on a daily basis.!!! To the council I say ....the last thing we are needing is more houses.[/p][/quote]I do believe the meeting is now on Monday 17th March, unfortunately as I will be working I will not be able to attend :( - do me proud people, do me proud![/p][/quote]Thanks for putting the date right !![/p][/quote]If you're on Facebook then search - Horwich Loco Works Planning Meeting. Join the group :) FreedomOfSpeech1945
  • Score: 3

11:00am Fri 28 Feb 14

cartman66 says...

Chorley new road has tailbacks at the rush hours now so what will happen if there's even more houses built which means even more traffic??
the roads in Horwich cannot cope stop making a small village into a city!!
Chorley new road has tailbacks at the rush hours now so what will happen if there's even more houses built which means even more traffic?? the roads in Horwich cannot cope stop making a small village into a city!! cartman66
  • Score: 12

11:28am Fri 28 Feb 14

bigbob123 says...

Here's what I wrote to a local newspaper when asking peoples views on the loco job.
This is my opinion on the whole Loco Works situation.
The works has been used for years and has had a good long run.
My Girlfriends father worked there as did his father.
It obviously has a special place in the Horwich folks memory and can often be heard mentioned in the local pubs in and around the area, by people reminiscing about good times.
The fact of the matter is that as we all get older and wiser, we must be able to accept change and learn to embrace it.
A lot of people contested the housing estate built which faces Station Park yet it went ahead and it looks a pleasant place to live.
The retirement homes built next to the park was also contested yet it looks quite grand from the outside.
Nobody talks about these new builds any more as it has been accepted by the residents of Horwich.
People decided to protest about the greenwood and wanted it to be left as a pub and look what happened, It was left, got burned down and now looks like a scene from a zombie film and nobody wants to even entertain the idea of building on it, Great job guys!
The plans for the Loco Works are to convert the area into 1600 dwellings along with an area for businesses and to me that sounds great!
over 1000 jobs created for people that don't need a specific trade to stand a chance of being employed.
A lovely new built area to attract new people to Horwich.
Why do people complain about the traffic it would cause?
I am sure that a development such as this would not just disregard traffic congestion.
It seems to be a done deal in my eyes and the fact that the council have exercised their Compulsory Purchase Order is a big give away as to how the council feel.
Horwich residents of which I am also, seem to be as bad as football supporters, they are fickle.
When the local businesses are benefiting from the influx of people coming to live and work in Horwich then the build would be the best thing since sliced bread.
So just ignore these public meetings, as the only purpose of them is to keep the moaning old-timers happy.
Here's what I wrote to a local newspaper when asking peoples views on the loco job. This is my opinion on the whole Loco Works situation. The works has been used for years and has had a good long run. My Girlfriends father worked there as did his father. It obviously has a special place in the Horwich folks memory and can often be heard mentioned in the local pubs in and around the area, by people reminiscing about good times. The fact of the matter is that as we all get older and wiser, we must be able to accept change and learn to embrace it. A lot of people contested the housing estate built which faces Station Park yet it went ahead and it looks a pleasant place to live. The retirement homes built next to the park was also contested yet it looks quite grand from the outside. Nobody talks about these new builds any more as it has been accepted by the residents of Horwich. People decided to protest about the greenwood and wanted it to be left as a pub and look what happened, It was left, got burned down and now looks like a scene from a zombie film and nobody wants to even entertain the idea of building on it, Great job guys! The plans for the Loco Works are to convert the area into 1600 dwellings along with an area for businesses and to me that sounds great! over 1000 jobs created for people that don't need a specific trade to stand a chance of being employed. A lovely new built area to attract new people to Horwich. Why do people complain about the traffic it would cause? I am sure that a development such as this would not just disregard traffic congestion. It seems to be a done deal in my eyes and the fact that the council have exercised their Compulsory Purchase Order is a big give away as to how the council feel. Horwich residents of which I am also, seem to be as bad as football supporters, they are fickle. When the local businesses are benefiting from the influx of people coming to live and work in Horwich then the build would be the best thing since sliced bread. So just ignore these public meetings, as the only purpose of them is to keep the moaning old-timers happy. bigbob123
  • Score: -7

12:07pm Fri 28 Feb 14

atlas123 says...

cartman66 wrote:
Chorley new road has tailbacks at the rush hours now so what will happen if there's even more houses built which means even more traffic??
the roads in Horwich cannot cope stop making a small village into a city!!
I dont think it will make a difference because whilst you will have cars coming to the new development you will lose the staff comming and going to the college - at peak time.
[quote][p][bold]cartman66[/bold] wrote: Chorley new road has tailbacks at the rush hours now so what will happen if there's even more houses built which means even more traffic?? the roads in Horwich cannot cope stop making a small village into a city!![/p][/quote]I dont think it will make a difference because whilst you will have cars coming to the new development you will lose the staff comming and going to the college - at peak time. atlas123
  • Score: -2

12:22pm Fri 28 Feb 14

Rememberscarborough says...

Interested in where all these kids will be going to school. Thornleigh was wrecked by expanding to the size it is now and St Joseph's could easily go the same way if it's not careful.
Interested in where all these kids will be going to school. Thornleigh was wrecked by expanding to the size it is now and St Joseph's could easily go the same way if it's not careful. Rememberscarborough
  • Score: 4

12:46pm Fri 28 Feb 14

boydell says...

quoting BIG BOB 123 "I'm sure a development such as this would not just disregard a traffic situation".....Well BIGBOB the council HAS managed to disregard the traffic ' till now. What makes you think they would be any different now ???
They have done nothing to alleviate the traffic volume when the flats were built at the fire station, or the ones at RMI, or the ones at the old Chortex mill. Asolutely nothing was done to Chorley New Road when Middlebrook was built., so what makes you believe that the council is capable of doing something when an extra 1400 houses are built at the loco works and a further 140 on the old golf course. The fact of the matter is......all the traffic converges onto Chorley New Road because there is nowhere else for it to go....What would big bob suggest eh.
I rest my case.
quoting BIG BOB 123 "I'm sure a development such as this would not just disregard a traffic situation".....Well BIGBOB the council HAS managed to disregard the traffic ' till now. What makes you think they would be any different now ??? They have done nothing to alleviate the traffic volume when the flats were built at the fire station, or the ones at RMI, or the ones at the old Chortex mill. Asolutely nothing was done to Chorley New Road when Middlebrook was built., so what makes you believe that the council is capable of doing something when an extra 1400 houses are built at the loco works and a further 140 on the old golf course. The fact of the matter is......all the traffic converges onto Chorley New Road because there is nowhere else for it to go....What would big bob suggest eh. I rest my case. boydell
  • Score: 4

1:15pm Fri 28 Feb 14

bigbob123 says...

I just go on chorley old road or the motorway its miles quicker. more folk should try it
I just go on chorley old road or the motorway its miles quicker. more folk should try it bigbob123
  • Score: -2

1:18pm Fri 28 Feb 14

bigbob123 says...

In fact it seems the horwich folk only have traffic as their main argument so if something was done then would that mean they would be o.k with the build?
or is it just a case of fighting a lost cause for the sake of not wanting to see change?
In fact it seems the horwich folk only have traffic as their main argument so if something was done then would that mean they would be o.k with the build? or is it just a case of fighting a lost cause for the sake of not wanting to see change? bigbob123
  • Score: -6

2:08pm Fri 28 Feb 14

boydell says...

bigbob123 wrote:
I just go on chorley old road or the motorway its miles quicker. more folk should try it
If you lived at the Beehive and wanted to go to Horwich which way would you go. Oh! I know....drive towards Bolton....turn left at the lights at Beaumont Road, up Stapleton Ave, turn left at the roundabout onto Chorley Old Road and then straight into Horwich.,,, a round trip of about 5 miles.....very clever. I would never have thought of that.
[quote][p][bold]bigbob123[/bold] wrote: I just go on chorley old road or the motorway its miles quicker. more folk should try it[/p][/quote]If you lived at the Beehive and wanted to go to Horwich which way would you go. Oh! I know....drive towards Bolton....turn left at the lights at Beaumont Road, up Stapleton Ave, turn left at the roundabout onto Chorley Old Road and then straight into Horwich.,,, a round trip of about 5 miles.....very clever. I would never have thought of that. boydell
  • Score: 2

2:20pm Fri 28 Feb 14

deehat says...

I fear things will be a whole lot worse in the college area in the next few years, I was told recently from a very good source that the Horwich Golf Club lease expires in around five years and an agreement to buy the land for housing has already been negotiated with a major company, I think Redrow was mentioned. I assume the only entrance to that development would be via the existing golf club drive unless there are plans to explore access from Stocks Park of Fleet Street, the amount of land available will hold a vast amount of properties. I was born and brought up in Hawksley St and then lived on Victoria Road facing the golf club and feel sad that developments such as these take away too much open space, I now live on Ladybridge but look out at Rivington Pike and the moors!!
I fear things will be a whole lot worse in the college area in the next few years, I was told recently from a very good source that the Horwich Golf Club lease expires in around five years and an agreement to buy the land for housing has already been negotiated with a major company, I think Redrow was mentioned. I assume the only entrance to that development would be via the existing golf club drive unless there are plans to explore access from Stocks Park of Fleet Street, the amount of land available will hold a vast amount of properties. I was born and brought up in Hawksley St and then lived on Victoria Road facing the golf club and feel sad that developments such as these take away too much open space, I now live on Ladybridge but look out at Rivington Pike and the moors!! deehat
  • Score: 7

5:04pm Fri 28 Feb 14

Gore Seer says...

The Righteous One wrote:
Gore Seer wrote:
Our Countryside Is Swamped With New Housing Little Mini Towns, Just Look Round Runshaw College Over Chorley,Leyland, Thats Just One. All For European Over Spill.
What about the growing indigenous population as well.

Even without the 1.5million EU migrants that now live in the UK (which is only 2.4% of the total population) or the 1.25 non-EU migrants (which is only 2% of the total population) then you will see our population has grown - just like every other country on this planet (have you not heard that the worlds population is now over 72billion and rising) and yes they do need homes. Also look at todays family structures - how many homes are actually 2 parents and 2 children? How many are sole parent families? How many are childrenless families? How many singles live by themselves or flatshare?

So see it is easy to blame migrants but when you start to delve into properly thats when you see the real answers!!!


And anyway as Atlas has said they are being built on land which is already built out (a brownfield site) and the traffic congestion will proabbly be about the same as it is now - so, to be fair, this is a like for like.

My only concern is how many of these home owners will end up using the trains and thus making the trains even more full and squahsed than now during the peak times?
Were Is The Clame EU Migrants Are To Blame It Is You That Pin The Blame I Certainly Never Blamed Migrants.
[quote][p][bold]The Righteous One[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gore Seer[/bold] wrote: Our Countryside Is Swamped With New Housing Little Mini Towns, Just Look Round Runshaw College Over Chorley,Leyland, Thats Just One. All For European Over Spill.[/p][/quote]What about the growing indigenous population as well. Even without the 1.5million EU migrants that now live in the UK (which is only 2.4% of the total population) or the 1.25 non-EU migrants (which is only 2% of the total population) then you will see our population has grown - just like every other country on this planet (have you not heard that the worlds population is now over 72billion and rising) and yes they do need homes. Also look at todays family structures - how many homes are actually 2 parents and 2 children? How many are sole parent families? How many are childrenless families? How many singles live by themselves or flatshare? So see it is easy to blame migrants but when you start to delve into properly thats when you see the real answers!!! And anyway as Atlas has said they are being built on land which is already built out (a brownfield site) and the traffic congestion will proabbly be about the same as it is now - so, to be fair, this is a like for like. My only concern is how many of these home owners will end up using the trains and thus making the trains even more full and squahsed than now during the peak times?[/p][/quote]Were Is The Clame EU Migrants Are To Blame It Is You That Pin The Blame I Certainly Never Blamed Migrants. Gore Seer
  • Score: 1

9:49pm Fri 28 Feb 14

Brumas says...

A spokesperson for Bolton Council said: “Under government rules the council must have a five year supply of available land for housing development at all times.”

What happens when we have no land at all to build on?

This Development also contradicts a statement in the Planning application for Rivington Chase, where it says "Given the lack of any surplus capacity for education"? why are they knocking down the Collage when it could be retained. Relocate Chorley New Road Primary to this site and allow St Mary's Primary school to extend on to this site. Both to use the sporting facilities in place and perhaps build a sports hall / changing rooms for use by a satellite Lads & Girls club, again all using the sports facilities.
Who is right developer "A" or developer "B"?
A spokesperson for Bolton Council said: “Under government rules the council must have a five year supply of available land for housing development at all times.” What happens when we have no land at all to build on? This Development also contradicts a statement in the Planning application for Rivington Chase, where it says "Given the lack of any surplus capacity for education"? why are they knocking down the Collage when it could be retained. Relocate Chorley New Road Primary to this site and allow St Mary's Primary school to extend on to this site. Both to use the sporting facilities in place and perhaps build a sports hall / changing rooms for use by a satellite Lads & Girls club, again all using the sports facilities. Who is right developer "A" or developer "B"? Brumas
  • Score: 8

4:48pm Sat 1 Mar 14

BWFC71 says...

Gore Seer wrote:
The Righteous One wrote:
Gore Seer wrote:
Our Countryside Is Swamped With New Housing Little Mini Towns, Just Look Round Runshaw College Over Chorley,Leyland, Thats Just One. All For European Over Spill.
What about the growing indigenous population as well.

Even without the 1.5million EU migrants that now live in the UK (which is only 2.4% of the total population) or the 1.25 non-EU migrants (which is only 2% of the total population) then you will see our population has grown - just like every other country on this planet (have you not heard that the worlds population is now over 72billion and rising) and yes they do need homes. Also look at todays family structures - how many homes are actually 2 parents and 2 children? How many are sole parent families? How many are childrenless families? How many singles live by themselves or flatshare?

So see it is easy to blame migrants but when you start to delve into properly thats when you see the real answers!!!


And anyway as Atlas has said they are being built on land which is already built out (a brownfield site) and the traffic congestion will proabbly be about the same as it is now - so, to be fair, this is a like for like.

My only concern is how many of these home owners will end up using the trains and thus making the trains even more full and squahsed than now during the peak times?
Were Is The Clame EU Migrants Are To Blame It Is You That Pin The Blame I Certainly Never Blamed Migrants.
Look at the last sentence from Gore Seer, " All For European Over Spill"
[quote][p][bold]Gore Seer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Righteous One[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gore Seer[/bold] wrote: Our Countryside Is Swamped With New Housing Little Mini Towns, Just Look Round Runshaw College Over Chorley,Leyland, Thats Just One. All For European Over Spill.[/p][/quote]What about the growing indigenous population as well. Even without the 1.5million EU migrants that now live in the UK (which is only 2.4% of the total population) or the 1.25 non-EU migrants (which is only 2% of the total population) then you will see our population has grown - just like every other country on this planet (have you not heard that the worlds population is now over 72billion and rising) and yes they do need homes. Also look at todays family structures - how many homes are actually 2 parents and 2 children? How many are sole parent families? How many are childrenless families? How many singles live by themselves or flatshare? So see it is easy to blame migrants but when you start to delve into properly thats when you see the real answers!!! And anyway as Atlas has said they are being built on land which is already built out (a brownfield site) and the traffic congestion will proabbly be about the same as it is now - so, to be fair, this is a like for like. My only concern is how many of these home owners will end up using the trains and thus making the trains even more full and squahsed than now during the peak times?[/p][/quote]Were Is The Clame EU Migrants Are To Blame It Is You That Pin The Blame I Certainly Never Blamed Migrants.[/p][/quote]Look at the last sentence from Gore Seer, " All For European Over Spill" BWFC71
  • Score: -40

1:44pm Mon 10 Mar 14

Horwichisgreen says...

Turn up for the Horwich Town Council meeting and do your best to object, they may support you. Then it will go to Bolton Town Council and they will overule Horwich anyway and will support the build. Its' extremely sad that a couple of our local councillors will not support those who voted them in.
Turn up for the Horwich Town Council meeting and do your best to object, they may support you. Then it will go to Bolton Town Council and they will overule Horwich anyway and will support the build. Its' extremely sad that a couple of our local councillors will not support those who voted them in. Horwichisgreen
  • Score: 1

1:07pm Wed 12 Mar 14

filthy6 says...

stereo_world wrote:
I worry about how this will affect the whole area between junction 5 and 6 of the M61. With the loco works development, the network won't be able to handle any extra homes. I pray they've taken the effect it has on transport into consideration.
Doubt it....
Certainly the developers won't pay & I'm not seeing Bolton Council adding extra transport infrastructure, even with the development of Loco Works
[quote][p][bold]stereo_world[/bold] wrote: I worry about how this will affect the whole area between junction 5 and 6 of the M61. With the loco works development, the network won't be able to handle any extra homes. I pray they've taken the effect it has on transport into consideration.[/p][/quote]Doubt it.... Certainly the developers won't pay & I'm not seeing Bolton Council adding extra transport infrastructure, even with the development of Loco Works filthy6
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree