A SHOPPER has won a competition to find the worst romantic gift in Bolton - with a Barry Manilow cake.
Mother-of-two, Judith Owen, from Westhoughton, won the competition run by the Market Place shopping centre after her husband gave her a cake decorated with the face of the cheesy crooner.
Other entries in the competition included:
- An egg poacher
- A skip to clear the garden
- A six-month subscription to Slimming World
- A packet of seeds
- A portable television that fell off the wall and ruined part of the house
Mrs Owen, a civil servant, said: “It was one of the more unusual presents I had received from Kevin to be honest.
“Luckily I saw the funny side and we’ve laughed lots since.”
The couple, who have been married for 28 years, were rewarded with an overnight stay at the Holiday Inn Hotel, his and hers matching fragrances from The Perfume Shop, Db3 clothing vouchers, a makeover at Debenhams and a white gold pendant from Lauren Ashley Jewellers.
Mrs Owen said: “It was such a delight to win this competition, I didn’t expect to win so many prizes, let alone win at all. I was made to feel very special.”
- UPDATED: Murder probe after woman found dead in Astley Bridge
- Horwich couple speak of terror after Nepal earthquake left them sleeping in tents for four days
- Stepdad jailed for beating children in 1960s and 70s: 'It went far beyond anything that can be regarded as justifiable — even in times gone by'
- Man sets fire to toilet roll while answering bail at police station — to dry his clothes
- Shop worker has day to remember — scoring two goals to win his team the league title and then starring in Casualty