BOLTON is set to bask in a spring heatwave as experts say temperatures may rocket up to 18C by next week.
The balmy conditions are nearly double the average temperatures for the North West at this time of year.
Conditions have improved over the past week, but temperatures have remained quite low despite longer periods of sunshine.
Some rainy weather could persist until the weekend, but temperatures will be considerably warmer on Saturday and Sunday.
The 9.8C average temperature for March is set to be dwarfed by the high of 18C forecast for next Thursday.
A Met Office spokesman said a good start to March was forecast, with higher than average temperatures for the North West.
Temperatures could reach 16C as early as Monday, with next week set to bring sustained sunny and dry weather.
After a mild night on Wednesday, the showers are expected to return on Thursday and Friday.
The latest live weather information is available here.
- Car flips onto roof and lamppost is flattened after crash with van
- Pizzeria owner charged with multiple sexual assaults on girls aged between 15 and 18
- UKIP continue assault on Bolton Council by taking two more Labour seats and state: 'This is just the start'
- PICTURES: 9 beer gardens to enjoy a drink in the sun
- Dramatic but not shocking - why UKIP in Bolton is becoming a familiar and increasing presence