A CAMPAIGN to tackle dangerous driving in Bolton has been a “learning curve” for the communities involved.
It comes after two drivers were jailed after a crash in St Helens Road, Daubhill, last July which left 11 people injured.
The scheme was launched at Al Rahman Mosque in Randall Street, Daubhill, where about 40 people learned about road safety and the dangers of speeding.
Sufiyan Kala, aged 22, from Daubhill, was on the scene shortly after the crash in St Helens Road last summer, which left a 12-year-old boy with serious leg injuries.
He helped organise the series of events, which will be taking place throughout the borough over the coming months.
Mr Kala said: “In the aftermath of the crash there was a lot of anger about what happened and sympathy for the people involved.
“The people I have spoken to were very angry and felt they couldn’t combat this issue.
"What is taking place is a community response with BCoM, the police, fire service and the council working together. Hopefully it can make the streets safe.
“The whole experience has been a big learning curve for the community.”
- Calls for tougher penalties for fly-tippers as one of worst cases in Bolton is revealed
- Hospital bosses: Jimmy Savile sex abuse scandal will not happen here
- Drunk shouted abuse outside the home of police officers
- Crime commissioner Tony Lloyd announced as interim mayor for Greater Manchester
- Dog show set to draw crowds
When firefighters demonstrated how they respond to crashes by cutting into a car, one young man had to walk away because he was at the scene of the Daubhill smash last year and it brought back painful memories.
Crew manager Phil Deardon, from Bolton Central Fire Station, said the events aimed to educate people and help put a stop to serious incidents.
He added people needed to think about the repercussions serious crashes have on people’s families and their own insurance.
He said some of the crashes firefighters in Bolton have dealt with have involved hired high-performance cars.
He added firefighters have had to cut through hired vehicles worth up to £100,000 to free passengers.
Police Community Support Officer Gareth Walker, from Greater Manchester Police’s traffic unit, said if officers suspect a person is driving in an inconsiderate manner they will receive a warning.
This will mean their details are recorded on the police national computer and if they are stopped again, the car will be seized immediately.
The next driving event will be held at the Sughra Mosque in Granville Street, Farnworth, on March 21 from 2pm.